Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast

Thread: BitTorrent Trackers DOWN or BACK UP

Well, I can sympathise.
    1/- Cloudflare does cost money
    2/- If you're site's down, how you gonna get donations ? (Unless you've at least got an IRC channel up, or maybe a twitter ?....)

A certain site was managing well until some b*st*rd daubed them with paypal, now it's gonna be very difficult to stay afloat, never mind cloudflare..............

It's a tough game out there when folks have it in for you, and the hardest thing is that a lot of the time it's kiddies who don't even understand or care about the harm they're doing............ - it's just a quick thrill for them to wield the power
    Fatal01

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    We cant afford it because we have been down more than up for the past 2-3 months, no site = no donations = squeeky bum time.

The hosts ISP have taking us to arbitration, because we were killing their entire network, so they have basically pulled the plug (at the minute) on our IP and domain, the hosts are fighting our corner but it doesnt look good.

What happens next i have no idea, as we cant just get a new IP/domain name now as if the network admin find out, which they probably will esp if we get hit again, the hosts could be in big trouble as its against the laws of the arbitration.

we are basically just waiting for news.

@absent_today, I would love to see you run a tracker for 12 years.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    dion09529's Avatar Helter Skelter BT Rep: +1
    I think 12 years it's enough. shut it down and let it die.
    Old shit was here. Now it's gone.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by dion09529 View Post
    If only your mother had the same idea...
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Last thing on my mind, may have no option in the end, but going to try all avenues possible before we get there.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Whimpy's Avatar Patty Buster
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    Last thing on my mind, may have no option in the end, but going to try all avenues possible before we get there.
    BCG is THE BEST tracker for games I have ever seen. Fight it Stoi. It would be a great loss and brutal blow to the world of torrent to have BCG go down forever. These are not some angry kids ddosing, this is a well thought-out assault on BCG. I fear that something much more sinister is behind these attacks. Hang in there guys.
    "There is no good, there is no evil. There is only flesh, and the patterns to which we submit it."

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    We cant afford it because we have been down more than up for the past 2-3 months, no site = no donations = squeeky bum time.

The hosts ISP have taking us to arbitration, because we were killing their entire network, so they have basically pulled the plug (at the minute) on our IP and domain, the hosts are fighting our corner but it doesnt look good.

What happens next i have no idea, as we cant just get a new IP/domain name now as if the network admin find out, which they probably will esp if we get hit again, the hosts could be in big trouble as its against the laws of the arbitration.

we are basically just waiting for news.

@absent_today, I would love to see you run a tracker for 12 years.
    I don't know what to say really. I see at most at week before the biggest battle of your tracker career, all comes down to today. Now either we fix this as a staff/community now or we're gonna crumble. Minute by minute, day by day, till we're finished. We're in hell right now Stoi, believe me, and we can stay here and get the shit kicked out of us, or we can fight our way back. We CAN climb out of hell. One inch at a time.

Take a look at my speedrun here = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ9eMrcGFoA (Now dedicated to BCG, and it's hopeful comeback)

Now I can't do it for you, I don't have the money to cover every cent you'd need to totally swap out after the arbitration ends. I look around and I see all these young filesharing users ages. And I mean I made every wrong choice a going on 30 man can make. I became a high functioning addict/alcoholic, I burned all my bridges with anybody who's ever cared about me, and lately all I can think when I look in the mirror is suicide. You know when you get older and get put through a never ending psych unit/medication cycle things get taken from you, I mean that's life, but you only learn that when you start losing stuff. You find out life's this game of inches, so is Super Meat Boy. Because in either game, life or Super Meat Boy, the margin for error is so small, I mean one half a step to late or too early and you don't quite make it, one half-second too slow/too fast and you don't quite catch it. The inches we need are everywhere around us. Their in every break of the game, every minute, every second, every donation.

In this BCG staff/community we fight for that inch. In this community we tear ourselves and everybody around us to pieces for that inch, we donate whatever we have for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's goning to make the fucking difference between winning and losing, between living and dying. I'll tell you this, in any fight (DDoS attacks especially) it's the guy who's willing to die who's going to win that inch. And I know if I'm going to have any life anymore it's because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch. Because that's how we survive as a community.

Now I can't make you do it. But if worse comes to worse, here's the contingency. You post a BCG SOS on every major/minor private torrent forum explaining in detail the situation and explain that IF this community wants BCG to survive they need to put their money where their mouth is. So that the funds can be collected and allocated to bring the site back up under any means necessary, if that means a new host/IP/domain whatever, doesn't matter fundamentally as long as BCG survives. Now if you post this let's say BCG "Kickstarter" let's say, offering all donators to the cause a good incentive, perma-VIP, no HnR rules for them or whatever, I think your going to see a army of members willing to go that inch with you. Put the future of the site squarely in the hands of it's community and let that decide whether BCG lives or dies, either they'll put their money where their mouth is, or they can have no one else to blame if BCG dies. That's a community, and either we fix this, now, or we will die as a community and lose quite possibly the best tracker and website the bittorrent world has ever seen, content and quality-wise, as well as innovation in ratio management. That's leveraging a great and big enough community to help in a time of need for the common good, that's all it is.

If you choose to do this, or it even comes to this, I will personally donate $1600 to any type of payment method you want, so long as I'm not shown as doing so on the site, I seek no entitlements. Plus, if the site is brought back up, I will personally donate the $300 or whatever it is for the best DDoS protection every month. But no "donor badge or VIP" for me, thanks. I'm just concerned with bringing the site and tracker back online and keeping it that way.

Now, what are you going to do?

And cheers Stoi, your the best, but if worst comes to worst, do NOT give up. Leverage the community itself and let them decide the fate of the site. If you give up, whoever is doing this wins, and we cannot let that happen, for a standup guy like yourself to have run a amazing tracker for 12 years, do not let something like this run you off, I personally would never forgive myself if I did that and didn't exhaust every possible avenue beforehand which including at the end leaving it to the community to decide if they really want BCG to survive. I know you hate asking for donations, but that might be the only way come a certain point.
    Last edited by bamboo; 03-03-2014 at 11:55 PM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by bamboo View Post

If you choose to do this, or it even comes to this, I will personally donate $1600 to any type of payment method you want, so long as I'm not shown as doing so on the site, I seek no entitlements. Plus, if the site is brought back up, I will personally donate the $300 or whatever it is for the best DDoS protection every month. But no "donor badge or VIP" for me, thanks. I'm just concerned with bringing the site and tracker back online and keeping it that way.
    I will consider that offer to be very noble if you provide me with proof that you will be giving at least as much to the sick and the poor. Otherwise true altruism asks for no acknowledgement ie you could have done the same thing via PM,glory whore .
    Respect my lack of authority.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    @stoi
    I was joking around and I really wish BCG comes back soon and as soon its back setup a proper donation process as there wasnt last time

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    There is a proper donation process. (or at least there was).

I am just very fucking frustrated at the minute, so bit.

as for cloudflare, I am going to have to get myself one of those throw away credit cards, they do not accept paypal, only credit/debit card and there is no way my real name and address are going on it. and it will be just the $20 one, there just is no way I can afford $200 pm.

But first we need to get the IP and domain back, if that isnt possible, then a change of domain, new IP or even a new host (that will be fun, another 10,000 members down the pan as they wont have a clue).

@ bamboo cheers for the offer, read it at 3am this morning but was going to bed, but I really dont want to rely on 1 person, not that I think you will bugger off, more the fact I dont like relying on anyone,

as for the non hit and runs stuff, wont happen, 2 main reasons for SP.

Seedboxes/fast uploads, not everyone can have a 1 ratio.

When we were ratio only with a hit and run policy, members would donate a fiver, hit and run 50 torrents, get demoted, donate a fiver, get promoted, hit and run another 50, we had some members doing that for months, they had 500+ hit and runs.

Sorry but that isnt right, OK it wasnt every donator, but even 1 was too many, and it was far more than 1.

I will never go back to letting donors off hit and running, people might say we let everyone off hit and running anyway, but at least you have to try, or show willing.
    Last edited by stoi; 03-04-2014 at 11:29 AM.

Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast