Page 28 of 75 FirstFirst ... 182526272829303138 ... LastLast

Thread: Critically Evaluate the last movie you saw.

2. Movies & TV   -   #272
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Doesn't help.

Perhaps it would if I hadn't seen the film
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Movies & TV   -   #273
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    Doesn't help.

Perhaps it would if I hadn't seen the film
    I haven't seen the film, but I have a feeling it would detract from the interpretation. You and your linear imagination.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

4. Movies & TV   -   #274
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. Movies & TV   -   #275
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    This plus my insinuation of linearity, I think I have turned to pure evil.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

6. Movies & TV   -   #276
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    ¿oƃ ǝuo uı spǝɯ ɹnoʎ ןןɐ ƃuıʇɹous puɐ dn ƃuıɥsɐɯ uo ʞɔɐq ʇnɔ pןnoɥs noʎ ǝqʎɐɯ

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

7. Movies & TV   -   #277
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Dark Shadows

Johnny Depp as nobleman turned vampire, released after 200 years stuck in a coffin, sets out to restore his family to its former glory, and on the way there he struggles to fit into the modern world, as well as tangles with the witch who turned him vampire and put him in the grave.

I liked it.

That said, myself and everyone I watched it with agreed that while it was all right, it won't fit into anyone's top ten movies ever, ever.

I liked Depp's haughty-mentalist-meets-Jack-Sparrow performance as Barnabus Collins, as well those of other actors as several supporting characters, notably Chloë Grace Moretz as difficult teen Carolyn, Eva Green as the villain(ess) and Helena Bonham Carter as drunkard psychologist Dr Hoffman. They were all, on the surface, interesting characters. The problem was that they never really went anywhere, with regards to personal development. Now, I'm not saying people have to grow and develop just because things happen to them, and don't usually subscribe to the notion of that a round character is always better, but it was all a bit flat. The main problem, I believe, was that it all became a bit repetitive, as Barnabus kept the anachronisms coming, whilst Carolyn sneered.

I haven't watched the original show, so can't really compare it to that, but what it resembled most, to me, was something along the lines of an extended episode of the Addams Family, up until the ending. Which is to say that things happened, and they were occasionally funny, as well as dark, but they didn't leave that much of an impression. That is, it started going that way after the dust had settled from the initial arrival of the governess Maggie/Victoria and the release of Barnabus.

Another issue was that it's a bit uneven and random. There were things that were wholly unexpected and that I thought were Deus Ex Machinas, that fizzled out to nothing, as well as things so predictable I could see them coming miles away (the final few frames before the end credits were one of those).

All that said, I did enjoy it, and if you like the looks of the trailer at all, you should watch it. But do note that if you have seen the trailer, there won't be much by way of surprises.
    Last edited by Snee; 05-14-2012 at 05:47 PM.

8. Movies & TV   -   #278
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    All that said, I did enjoy it, and if you like the looks of the trailer at all, you should watch it. But do note that if you have seen the trailer, there won't be much by way of surprises.
    I have learned over the last couple of years to not watch Hollywood trailers, they are basically mini-films, taking the highlights of the movie and also the key plot lines and turning them into a 3 to 4 minute extended trailers.
    A trailer used to be a teaser, 30-60 seconds long, disjointed in both imagery and plot, to pique the interest, a driving soundtrack (not the films ) and reediting of the footage for the trailer/teaser were part of the fun. Now even that art has gone, a trailer is a lazy compact version of the film and in some cases the film is no longer a surprise after seeing the trailer.
    For the image overloaded,facebook generation this maybe perfectly acceptable in their little idiot cocoons, but it is something that I find greatly irritating. Such is the state of advertising these days, your goods must be fully on view......

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

9. Movies & TV   -   #279
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I decide which movie to go to based entirely on who has the best product tie-ins. Fucked if I'm going to anything that could only snag Taco Bell.
    Respect my lack of authority.

10. Movies & TV   -   #280
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I decide which movie to go to based entirely on who has the best product tie-ins. Fucked if I'm going to anything that could only snag Taco Bell.
    Then you'll be happy to know Dark Shadows got McDonalds.

Page 28 of 75 FirstFirst ... 182526272829303138 ... LastLast