Page 4 of 75 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast

Thread: Critically Evaluate the last movie you saw.

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Nice try but I would have pointed out that Immortals was also the name of a 1995 movie starring Julie Roberts brother who's career peaked early with Star 80.
    Respect my lack of authority.

2. Movies & TV   -   #32
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Contagion- cast of dozens.

It's easy to make fun of large ensemble films (think Valentine Day or the current New Years Eve) but Contagion has a very compelling story-timely and briskly told.
    Although it's fun to pick out the actors (Holy shit! Is that Dmitri Martin?), who, save for a few, are really just making cameo appearances, the plot moves with the speed of, well...a virus.

It's depressing to realize that We Are The World means not just raising everybody's boat but that we can all drown together as well.
    I can't imagine Contagion did real well at the box office- because it's very depressing- but I didn't begrudge the runtime and thought it was quite well made.

So, make of that what you will.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Movies & TV   -   #33
    The Thing 2011 Ok by me

4. Movies & TV   -   #34
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Contagion- cast of dozens.

It's easy to make fun of large ensemble films (think Valentine Day or the current New Years Eve) but Contagion has a very compelling story-timely and briskly told.
    Although it's fun to pick out the actors (Holy shit! Is that Dmitri Martin?), who, save for a few, are really just making cameo appearances, the plot moves with the speed of, well...a virus.

It's depressing to realize that We Are The World means not just raising everybody's boat but that we can all drown together as well.
    I can't imagine Contagion did real well at the box office- because it's very depressing- but I didn't begrudge the runtime and thought it was quite well made.

So, make of that what you will.
    On the other hand all the bacteria on your body rated it the feel-good movie of 2011.

5. Movies & TV   -   #35
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Yes, but they don't post here, so fuck 'em.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Movies & TV   -   #36
    Yes, but they don't post here, so fuck 'em.
    Good point.

I watched most of Sniper:Reloaded and it was a movie or at least that's what the TV guide led me to believe.
    I would tell you about the plot but the film didn't have one.
    Anyway in review it's sort of sad to see that Billy Zane has given up on trying to make anything out of his life since breaking up with Kelly Brook.

7. Movies & TV   -   #37
    The Ides of March- George Clooney, Ryan Gosling.

Ryan Gosling changed clothes after Drive but walked the same character into The Ides of March.
    Seriously, the "extended closeup of a grim face- no dialogue" seems to be his only schtick lately.

Clooney plays a Democratic Governor vying for the White House.
    He is a white Obama, gifted at rousing populist anger and promising change.
    Naturally, he has feet of clay.
    Gosling is second in command of the campaign and has to clean up the muddy footprints.

This is another Clooney vanity project (he also produced it) and it's just not as interesting as Good Night and Good Luck.
    Everybody thinks politicians are sleazy empty shells these days, the machinations/inside deals of Ides aren't a surprise or particularly shocking- and no where near as luridly bizarre as the current Cain/Gingritch candidacies- so I'm left wondering what the point is.
    Ides is basically a well produced visual edition of the Huffington Post.

Note to scriptwriters everywhere:
    Simply panning in to Ryan Gosling's face and having him stare mute at the camera is NOT A PLOT, nor is it CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT.
    In normal life you'd think someone who silently deadpanned like that was either a psychopath or retarded...possibly both.
    If you can't find words for Gosling to say, hire Aaron Sorkin but I'll be damned if I'm going to do your work for you.
    "Is that look supposed to be steely resolve or did he eat Taco Bell for lunch? Aaarrgh! I don't know! Ryan, you're SO enigmatic!"

Enigmatic my sweet ass.
    Gosling has perfected the art of getting roles where he doesn't have to learn any lines.
    Shows what you know. http://www.accesshollywood.com/ryan-..._article_58046

The Warrior's Way http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1032751/

"A warrior-assassin is forced to hide in a small town in the American Badlands after refusing a mission".

God has cursed me with a love of a certain genre of movie were the majority of representatives of that genre are undeniably shite. Such is the case with TWW .The premise screams potential but the film is so badly executed(no pun intended) in it's rather pointless quest to be cool that the result is near impossible to watch the whole way through without hitting the fast forward button several times. Jang Dong Gun does a good job in the main role though embodying both the strength and weakness necessary for the part.

Anyway a plea to Hollywood,please stop trying to reproduce the success of 300.That was a flash in the pan where people were briefly willing to overlook the irritation of the art direction.Also one reason that Fellini remains unwatched by the majority of the World is because bizarre if often more repellent than interesting.

8. Movies & TV   -   #38
    brightsid's Avatar Larisssssssaaaaaaa BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Anyone like to suggest a movie to me that centers around idealism and heroism ,is good(ish) , not a metaphor for anything and I haven't seen 3 times already I would be much obliged.
    Again better late than never
    Although you probably have seen my suggestions already, my teacher used to say that repeating is the mother of knowledge so nothing wrong in reminding them

The Bang Bang Club Photography is an old hobby for me but the last few years re-entered my "enjoy doing list" in the highest position. This movie is the story of 4 great "war" photographers Greg Marinovich, Kevin Carter, Ken Oosterbroek and Joao Silva in South Africa the years just before the ending of apartheid. I don't know if it is idealism and heroism or it is just adrenaline that drives men like to do a job like this but this movie tries to discover the line between both options. Unfortunately Ryan Phillippe is too baby face and good looking for the role although he tries his best. Other than that a good story, with good rhythm and some fine acting especially surprising from Taylor Kitsch as Kevin Carter. When I saw his award winning photo in my mid-20's I was shocked.
    Attachment 95348

Although I don't believe there is something heroic with his death I still admire works like that. It's not a great movie but it's an at least worth watching one. If you are interesting in this kind of photography their books are more than recommended

Io non ho paura The story of a young boy who made a momentous discovery as he plays with his friend and his sister in the country side. A simple scenario, child actors, and still a very interesting movie IMHO. The only drawback I can think is that the ending was really predictable. Music and photography in the film are fantastic. I'm not sure that innocence of the childhood can be named heroism but in my eyes the boy was a true hero. Not recommended for viewers who are looking for breath taking action thriller
    We make a living by what we get,
    we make a life by what we give

9. Movies & TV   -   #39
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Nothing so highbrow or emotive for me of late, in fact the latest watch was a pure grindhouse ala early Tarantino Catch .44 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1886493/.The standout performance in this movie is Forest Whitaker, who switches characters smoothely and instantaneously and coming across as seriously creepy in the process.

Bruce Willis although top billed only has a bit part in the movie (along with a segue to an old song by him during the roadtrip). Although being a grindhouse movie the characters are all supposed to be reprehensible, they aren't developed well in the story and Bruce Willis just comes across as a strange old fart, slightly confused by events but trying to keep on top of them, but you can't really warm to the character or understand why the rest of the characters would A. want to work for him or B. just don't go fuck you and leave long before the events unfold.

The main characters of the movie are 3 'hard' girls, although in the movie one is a whiny bitch who just nags the shit out of Tes the lead character all the time, while the other one just blindly follows, the reasons why these two are in anyway incorporated are left to the imagination. Apart from the fact that they are half sisters that is about it for a background. Also why Tes became a drug dealer when her talents revolved around looking pretty at a sleazy strip club (waitress not dancer) and lifting wallets, just shows poor judgement on the part of the aforementioned Bruce Willis character, Mel.

Despite the character flaws, I enjoyed the movie however. Grindhouse was never meant to be highbrow, so someone looking for cinematic crafting is just being an idiot looking for it in a movie like this, and the atmosphere created in the movie with special mention of Forest Whitaker's character Ronny was great. I also liked the bumbling backwoods Sheriff finding yet more corpses all around the countryside, played by Brad Dourif.

So in summation although there are serious character flaws in this movie, it is the atmosphere after all which carries a movie like this, and the sense that there is something seriously wrong with these people is carried well throughout. Switch your brain off, sit back, relax, and let the violence wash over you, that's what you were there for in the first place.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

10. Movies & TV   -   #40
    In my seemingly never-ending quest to destroy brain cells and shorten my life through increased blood pressure I inflicted Almighty Thor upon myself. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1792794/

At this point I want to formally apologize to any movie that I previously labelled as being the worst thing in history ,human or otherwise , since with Almighty Thor I think I have found a low mark that can't possibly be beaten.

Overlooking that the scenes don't even bother to follow one another in some coherent fashion or a movie, purportedly about Norse gods couldn't have been more poorly cast if the job was left to a blind man throwing darts at a list of student names from a Japanese middle-school or that nothing save the names are remotely in tune with mythology or the acting, if it can even be called that, makes whatever the worst acting that you've ever before seen look like Academy Award material by comparison (Richard Grieco apparently thinks that randomly changing THE volume of WORDS in a sentence is AKIN to emotING) I still can't forgive that they couldn't even do the shite CG to the minimal point of having Loki's giant dog thingies make contact with the ground when they "ran".
    Oh and the hammer the focus point of the whole mess looked like something that I could turn out while high on LSD and using a soggy lasagne noodle as a tool.
    I mentioned the Norse love interest speaks with a Spanish accent didn't I?

On some level, crap like Planet 9 or Troll or Battlefield Earth still has a tad of entertainment value. This unforgivable pile of garbage has absolutely none.

If Hell has a multiplex I am certain Almighty Thor is showing on every screen.

Page 4 of 75 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast