Page 71 of 75 FirstFirst ... 216168697071727374 ... LastLast

Thread: Critically Evaluate the last movie you saw.

megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I never thought I'd say this, but you have a point.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

2. Movies & TV   -   #702
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I always have a point, they're just not usually very good ones.
    Respect my lack of authority.

3. Movies & TV   -   #703
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    What I learned from Dr Strange is that I could add to my list of vows for Tilda Swinton. "Will you take her in sickness and in health or in baldness or in giant ass wings or when she gives you Turkish delights?"
    I do

Judge me after Social Services has her way with me.
    Last edited by mjmacky; 02-05-2017 at 08:17 PM.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

4. Movies & TV   -   #704
    Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    Quote Originally Posted by Stehle View Post
    Although I'm still with "Hacksaw Ridge" (As it basically is true... damn you Mel Gibson!)
    Watched that this afternoon. Holy crap, it's basically the first 20 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan" blown up to full-feature length, with a little "Full Metal Jacket"-style basic training thrown in. Does that about describe it?

5. Movies & TV   -   #705
    Stehle's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
    Although I'm still with "Hacksaw Ridge" (As it basically is true... damn you Mel Gibson!)
    Watched that this afternoon. Holy crap, it's basically the first 20 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan" blown up to full-feature length, with a little "Full Metal Jacket"-style basic training thrown in. Does that about describe it?
    Yup, very aptly put! (...but mostly true story.)

Watched "The Founder" yesterday, now I know about a few more lives that started in San Bernardino in the 1950's.

Yep...

-The California Kid
    Last edited by Stehle; 02-07-2017 at 04:40 PM. Reason: 'nuff said.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

6. Movies & TV   -   #706
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I gave up on that one too soon, I think. Only watched the first 20-30 minutes. Will continue with it now that I know its got lots of 'splosions and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

7. Movies & TV   -   #707
    Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    Watched "Silence" last night.

Very slow, almost depressing film. Not worth 2:40 hours.

8. Movies & TV   -   #708
    Stehle's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post

I gave up on that one too soon, I think. Only watched the first 20-30 minutes. Will continue with it now that I know its got lots of 'splosions and stuff.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Watched "Silence" last night.

Very slow, almost depressing film. Not worth 2:40 hours.
    Agreed!

(Even with Scorsese directing... (which drew me to it) ...the Mel Gibson Disease must be contagions!)
    Last edited by Stehle; 02-07-2017 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

9. Movies & TV   -   #709
    Arrival

The more I think about the film, the more faults I find with it. Gonna have to stop thinking about it soon, I reckon. Hopefully this post will provide some catharsis.

I'll make this two parts. (Part I) being first impressions, (Part II) being 72hrs afterthoughts.

Part I:

1. Very old-fashioned start, reminiscent of Independence Day and Avatar.
    2. WTF, Forest Whitaker?!? There goes my suspension of disbelief.
    3. [sarcasm] Ooh, the ship's got its own internal artificial gravity field, and OMG, it's perpendicular and upside down or sth. Mind blown.[/sarcasm]
    4. My, look at that big old window! 8-0
    5. Pretty giant squid monsters.
    6. Nice ink FX.
    7. Man, those military guys are retarded. Who knew?
    8. Now somebody is explaining to me what whatsherface has been doing for months. Never heard of 'show, don't tell', apparently.
    9. Oh, the Chinese are talking to ET in MahJong, right. Not Go, not their own damned script, but Mah-fucking-Jong. Okay.
    10. Wait, the Pakistanis have figured out how the orthography works? Not Miss Smartypants?
    11. What the shit, Sapir-Whorf hypothesis? Learning a circular timeless lingo rips you out of time and lets you know the future? Must have slept through that lecture.
    12. Okay, now the Chinese don't trust ET because it responded on their terms. Guess them Chinese must be real stoopid. Oh, and the Russians, too. And Pakistan! I thought the Pakistanis were the smart ones here, what?
    13. "If only we'd all just communicated with one another." Srlsly, that's the msg?
    14. So, all that stuff with her daughter hasn't happened yet. Could've fooled me, what with the character being apparently ageless and that whole part of the 'entertainment' based on deceiving the audience.
    15. OK, I suppose that Mommy / dying daughter thing was emotively effective (Nothing wrong with that, per se!).
    16. "Mom and Dad talk to animals," fuck that. The kid's fucking mother makes her career off of the 'Universal Language', there's been video footage of Cthulhu and pal all over the world, and the girl thinks those were 'animals'? You'd think maybe the bloody number one expert on the subject might have taught her own offspring the bloody lingo, but no.

Part II:

1. Since the aliens are outside time, effectively omniscient, the film isn't SF, it's a religious fairy tale.
    2. Even if you don't mind that it's a religious fairy tale, the film doesn't shed any new light on ideas such as blind faith and divine gifts.
    3. It says nothing about the human condition, doesn't speculate, doesn't tease with any new ideas, doesn't challenge conventional interpretations.
    4. All I'm left with are a few pretty pictures.

Overall verdict: Weak.
    Last edited by anon; 02-17-2017 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Removed ethnic slurs

10. Movies & TV   -   #710
    dion09529's Avatar Helter Skelter BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by afkbrb View Post
    12. Okay, now the Chinese don't trust ET because it responded on their terms. Guess them Chinks must be real stoopid. Oh, and the Russians, too. And Pakistan! I thought the Pakis were the smart ones here, what?
    TWO Pakistani men emigrate to Scotland , and agree to meet two years later to see who has become the most Scottish.
    Two years passed.

They meet and the first one says "I have a Scotland football jersey,
    I drink Scotch whisky and eat haggis every week, I've joined a pipe
    band, I own a Scottie dog, I wear a kilt everywhere, I salmon fish
    and I play golf .........

That's how Scottish I am.
    How Scottish have you become?"

The second one replies, "AWAY TAE FUCK YA PAKI BASTART!"
    Old shit was here. Now it's gone.

Page 71 of 75 FirstFirst ... 216168697071727374 ... LastLast