Page 533 of 545 FirstFirst ... 33433483523530531532533534535536543 ... LastLast
Results 5,321 to 5,330 of 5447

Thread: Last one to post wins the internets (archived)

so how do i collect my winnings?

2. Lounge   -   #5322
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by xtraz View Post
    so how do i collect my winnings?
    That's easy. First you have to be dressed for the occasion. Strip down to your underwear, then go and put that ski hat with the bobble on that is hiding in the back of the closet, then go and put on a pair of oven mits. Next run out into the middle of the road, close your eyes and spread your arms wide.

Your prize will be along shortly.......

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

3. Lounge   -   #5323
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    mbm or others who know about this stuffs:

Without much forethought, I went and bought a Sony Blu-Ray player. I now realize that it has digital coaxial audio output only. My old (but still very good in my opinion) Sony SA-VA15 speaker system basically only has RCA inputs. I thought about just returning the Blu-Ray player and sticking to analog audio for time being as it sounds fine to me, but I found 2 Polk audio m70 speakers ("gently used; great condition") on Craigslist today and the guy only wants $125 for the pair. Judging by what they run new, that seems pretty good.

Anyone have recommendations on an inexpensive receiver that'll handle the m70 speakers and the digital audio of the Blu-Ray player?

Feel free to toss all of that out and recommend whatever also.

First off, I've got a full set of Polk Monitors (which I got from Newegg- a REALLY good place to get deals on them) an like them quite a bit. If the ones you found are in good shape, $125 is a nice deal (still try for less, though ). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290208

That said, you will probably end up throwing out what you've got if you went this route. From what I can see of the speaker system/surround system https://docs.sony.com/release/SAVA15.PDF , the power and processing is in the mains, and the small satellites (those might be usable as long as they have a standard speaker connection AND they do not get overpowered by a new amp) attach out of the mains. However, a fully matched system will provide a much more continuous effect than underpowered, mismatched surrounds.

Ultimately, you would be starting a home theater system from scratch. I'd happily recommend a mid- to upper- level Onkyo receiver (I have two) for this purpose. Cheaper receivers are usually not overly satisfying long-term, and with the number of devices that can be connected if the unit has enough digital and analog inputs (optical is good sometimes, too) it can save trouble down the road, perhaps getting 10 years out of the receiver vs 5 before an upgrade is "needed".

I'd consider watching Newegg and purchase the rest of the needed Monitor line as they come on sale. I'd expect over the next 3 months they will cycle through various options of center, surrounds, etc. sometimes they will offer cherry on time then black the next. The will eventually offer what you need, though. Even if you started with a good deal on those 70's (I have 60's in my living room), then purchased the others at Newegg's regular prices, you'd still be doing pretty good price-wise. Just be aware that they do offer very frequent discounts on those. Don't forget, you will likely be inclined to add a subwoofer to your new theater.

As for what you've got, you could probably find some sort of digital-to-analog converter to the speakers system you've got, but it would probably just end up being tossed later when you did decide to upgrade your home theater. Finding a Blu-ray player with the outputs you need should not be that difficult, or expensive. Going out from digital, converting to 2-channel analog, then having your current stereo separate that back out to your speakers probably would not be ideal, anyway.

Let me know what your expected budget would be if you decided to go the direction of the new home theater. I can be more specific in helping you out then.
    Last edited by megabyteme; 01-26-2014 at 08:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Lounge   -   #5324
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    Wait, what?

Digital coaxial? SPDIF?

Don't those use RCA plugs? I guess you know what you're talking about wrt the amp/reciever being analog and all, but, you know, words.

edit: Since I'm at it, there are adapters between, say toslink and spdif/rca. There could be something similar between whatever it is you have.

I bought this Blu-Ray player. You can see the audio connector in the pic below. The specs call it "digital coaxial audio output" () There are adapters you can buy called a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) but they're bricks and also need external power. It's a cheap solution but somehow that just seems like a bit much to stay in the analog age. I figured if could pick up a decent alternative/upgrade, I'd just go ahead and do that instead.

Spoiler: Show

yo

5. Lounge   -   #5325
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    That looks like it fits an RCA connector.

Looks exactly like the one on the back of my parents' new TV. The TV manual said digital audio out, rca, iirc. The sound bar manual said SPDIF in. Used some random RCA old cable between them at first, before I got them a proper coaxial spdif super duper hifi cable.

edit: Buying new stuff sounds cool, though, and Onkyo, as suggested above, makes really good stuff.
    Last edited by Snee; 01-26-2014 at 09:08 PM.

6. Lounge   -   #5326
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post

That said, you will probably end up throwing out what you've got if you went this route. From what I can see of the speaker system/surround system https://docs.sony.com/release/SAVA15.PDF , the power and processing is in the mains, and the small satellites (those might be usable as long as they have a standard speaker connection AND they do not get overpowered by a new amp) attach out of the mains. However, a fully matched system will provide a much more continuous effect than underpowered, mismatched surrounds.

Ultimately, you would be starting a home theater system from scratch. I'd happily recommend a mid- to upper- level Onkyo receiver (I have two) for this purpose. Cheaper receivers are usually not overly satisfying long-term, and with the number of devices that can be connected if the unit has enough digital and analog inputs (optical is good sometimes, too) it can save trouble down the road, perhaps getting 10 years out of the receiver vs 5 before an upgrade is "needed".

I'd consider watching Newegg and purchase the rest of the needed Monitor line as they come on sale. I'd expect over the next 3 months they will cycle through various options of center, surrounds, etc. sometimes they will offer cherry on time then black the next. The will eventually offer what you need, though. Even if you started with a good deal on those 70's (I have 60's in my living room), then purchased the others at Newegg's regular prices, you'd still be doing pretty good price-wise. Just be aware that they do offer very frequent discounts on those. Don't forget, you will likely be inclined to add a subwoofer to your new theater.
    In my current speaker system I used the satellite speaker years ago but these days all I use are the two mains. I don't really need or even want anything else for now. I also like having no receiver and an all internal system. It's so simple I don't know why it isn't more popular.

If I got the Polk m70's, that would be it. I'd just listen to stuffs out of those two without any additional speakers.

And back to receivers, I wouldn't need much. The only two things I'd need to plug in right now are:

Blu-Ray player
    HTPC which runs it's audio with a 3.5mm cable
    TV (various audio options there)

yo

7. Lounge   -   #5327
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    That looks like it fits an RCA connector.

Looks exactly like the one on the back of my parents' new TV. The TV manual said digital audio out, rca, iirc. The sound bar manual said SPDIF in. Used some random RCA old cable between them at first, before I got them a proper coaxial spdif super duper hifi cable.

edit: Buying new stuff sounds cool, though, and Onkyo, as suggested above, makes really good stuff.
    I think it would fit an RCA but not sure it would produce any sound.

Best Buy has this thing. Says "Enhance your surround sound experience with this coaxial audio cable that sends digital signals through digital (SPDIF)...." What, so now the toslink plugs/cables aren't good enough?

But again, I'd need the DAC.

Really trying to avoid buying new stuff. Already this year I've bought a new GoPro, new PC, new Blu-Ray player amongst other items. If I can find a cheap Craigslist receiver, I might go ahead and grab that and the speakers, but I really don't want to spend much this issue.

yo

8. Lounge   -   #5328
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Looking at prices for receivers on Craigslist, I think the DAC is the way to go. $600 for used speakers and receiver vs $20 adapter.

yo

9. Lounge   -   #5329
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    I have to put my hand up for Onkyo as well, and I just recently upgraded too, to the TX-NR828 receiver and it is stunning, my SR607 was good, the NR828 makes it look like a very poor cousin, and there is even an IOS/Android app for controlling the NR (Network Receiver) range of Onkyo receivers, and I personally love being able to play digital content from my phone directly via DLNA using the app.

But back to Skiz.... you keep on asking about the coax digital connector when there is an HDMI connector glaring you in the face? a coax spdif connection is a poor cousin to a modern HDMI 1.4 connection. A modern receiver (another plug for Onkyo) with decent HDMI switching is going to be far superior to a SPDIF connection, and even base models give a surprising amount of functionality including internet radio integration through services like spotify and tune-in.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

10. Lounge   -   #5330
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    I think it would fit an RCA but not sure it would produce any sound.
    Probably wouldn't. Thing is though, just to be clear, RCA is a standard of connector that is used for a bunch of stuff. My intial gripe was that you seemed to use RCA as a stand-in for analog, while you can run a variety of signals through cables with RCA connectors. Such cables can also be coaxial, or not.

Also, wrt toslink/optical plugs, I always thought optical would have less noise and just be better, but some people seem to swear by coaxial/copper. Not quite sure if the interface is supposed to have an impact on fidelity, or what. I find audiophiles confusing.