Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: keep reading about astraweb glitches and vs Usenetnow??

is this really still a issue or is it pretty uncommon to see...?? id like to buy a year and dont want to have a year of issues? otherwise Usenetnow looked like a possible option.. again sorry for being a noob i think i have this mostly figured out i just dont want to waste this money if astra is that bad service wise..

but i see astra block accounts are higher..

am i missing any real good alternatives to astra or Usenetnow without getting something from giga or highwinds??

thank you again i hope to not have many more questions like this (im trying)

edit: some of you mentioned a blocknews 9$ 100gb account i cant find that all the prices i see are 14.95? any way to get the 9$ one? otherwise newsdemon has 200gb for 19$if blocknews is really 15$ for 100gb is it worth 19$ for 200gb
    Last edited by shakezilla; 01-26-2012 at 12:03 AM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Poster
    Newsdemon is highwinds. Plus the price you quoted does not include ssl. If you click that checkbox you will see it adds 2 bucks more to the price. More highwinds hijinks CHARGING for ssl. Lmao

Are you sure you wanna pay a year if you are just getting started? I've been using usenet for 15 plus years and refuse to pay long term to each there own though.

I like usenetnow and frugal usenet personally. Better support that astraweb. I was left hanging by astra a few years ago because no support on the weekends. Up to you if that matters to you.

I don't know where that blocknews price is you mentioned. I know I got that price for my account around the holidays so maybe that's why it is gone.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    ahh thanks for the info on newsdemon.... still torn on astra vs usenetnow i guess. how is usenetnow with dmca stuff?
    Last edited by shakezilla; 01-26-2012 at 12:53 AM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    they don't seem to be too quick to do takedowns if any. Plus most people use BlockNews (usenetnow reseller) for backup servers anyways.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    but if im correct as someone else here said i dont want to use both blocknews AND usenetnow together correct? as it would just be redundant..? so im i understand correct if something is missing from usenetnow it would be missing also from blocknews which is why i would want astra and blocknews? or would i better spending a bit more on a astra block account and using usenetnow for unlimited...
    Last edited by shakezilla; 01-26-2012 at 01:17 AM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Yeah, blocknews & usenetnow are the same servers, just different types of accounts.

Astra + Blocknews is popular because it would be the cheapest option. Blocknews is pretty cheap. Astra's block accounts aren't really as cheap.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    is the astra glitches and retention issues still really problems or are they kind of old news now? and thanks for the responses

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    They crop up from time to time. It's random, but I would set the US server as your primary and the EU as your backup. Plus getting a block account elsewhere really helps.

Even a 5GB blocknews account could last a year or more.
    Last edited by cola; 01-26-2012 at 01:47 AM.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    s the astra glitches and retention issues
    they dont have retention issues.
    however _at the moment_ there is a certain range(which is hard to pinpoint now because its moving back in time) where files are corrupted to a certain %. it is somewhere around 200 days ago +- (90+) days
    but id say having corrupted files is better than 100% removal( which supernews\highwinds do on many console games)

I would set the US server as your primary and the EU as your backup. Plus getting a block account elsewhere really helps.
    it depends on where he lives. for instance im in europe and i have shitty speed with US server

so i have Eu as a promary, US as an optional 1, xsusenet as an optional 2 and blocknews a sa backup
    sabnzbd cant set preferences for servers so if you set up AW US and blocknews as backup both it might download missing articles at first from blocknews.

Ive been using this setup for several weeks now and i dont have any problems with completion whatsoever except for slower speed when downloading from the infamous "bad range" on AW.
    Last edited by Hypatia; 01-26-2012 at 07:30 AM.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    im in the us..and okay i think i get what you mean about the time frame thing now so it was a certain batch or set or incompletes that are slowing going away.. anything since then?

should i be at all concerned about being in the us and using a us server as far as laws etc..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast