Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Who Uses Xp Or Has A Hewlitt

MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    If I click start, the right click on my computer, then follow the path:
    properties>advanced>startup and recovery settings in the default operating system field it says<"Microsoft Windows Whistler Personal" /fastdetect>

I have a Hewlitt Packard computer. I talked to a computer tech that said sometimes they sell an os that looks like xp but is actually some beta between win2000 and xp. This computer is fairly unstable, even after different formats of the hard drive. Besides right clicking on my computer and looking at general properties, is there another way to tell if you&#39;ve got a patched os that is really not xp 5.1 2600? There was a thread about an OS with the code named Odyssey?? Please anyone with some knowledge about OS&#39;s post some facts about 2000 or XP or any OS&#39;s between them and their "code names". I&#39;m lost here, and the crashes are happening more often. I cannot reformat, this computer is shared and I&#39;m about to lose privelages altogether. I would not have time to re-install everything.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    bump

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    you don&#39;t even have a "real" operating system.

Microsoft Windows Whistler Personal&nbsp;
    It&#39;s a beta almost like longhorn.

HP should be supplying an upgrade free for that crap.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Even though that&#39;s REALLY bad news, I&#39;m very grateful for the reply. At least now I can figure out what to do. Hmm....Without formatting I can only think of one solution.....(my registry is fucked btw)...........install a real version of XP ON TOP OF this crap, and choose to "keep current configuration" therby keeping me from having to install 30 gigs worth of software that I now have on. but wait, will the installer script be fooled and think its XP5.1 2600 or will it realize i have whistler personal?

Edit:you want to hear a joke DL?? when i talked to the "computer techs" at hp they played dumb at first , then denied they would EVER put beta software on their pc. he said "uh, i would have to ask the OTHER computer techs that question" no thanks the wait time on their phone support can easily top 45 minutes.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    whistler was the codename for windows xp. if it says its windows build build 2600, i would assume this is coorect, just to be sure, go download aida32 that&#39;ll tell you a bit more about your pc. By defualt when i install xp pro, it says "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect, but i change it to simply say "XP Pro" /fastdetect.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    to DL. and kunal -thank you for the information

I do have aida32 installed Kunal, and from what I can tell , hewlitt packard&#39;s custom patch that came with the original software bundle changed the value so that it reads xp5.1 2600 even though it isn&#39;t. In addition, another forum just confirmed "microsoft windows whistler personal" is a beta version that came after windows2000 but before XP. Now the question turns to, has anyone ever installed over an existing version of windows? That&#39;s what I&#39;m going to do. I&#39;m gonna install a real version of XP home. If it doesn&#39;t work, I&#39;ll reformat, but I&#39;m gonna try it because I&#39;ve got 30+ gigs worth of software already installed. I don&#39;t want to re-install everything again. So when you install over an existing version of windows, can you tell it to keep your current setup, and just overwrite the windows files? Or is this wishful thinking?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    ive done a upgrade install of xp before (from windows 98), its always best however to do a format install however, i had a few errors on my system after the upgrade, just back up your files on to another drive (if you have one) and format, as your current install isnt stable...

and also im not very sure, that hp themselves would install a beta os on there pcs, but if your 200% sure, i would be tempted to ring hp and say "why the fk did you install some sh*t on my pc"

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    HP&#39;s suck balls. my old hp fuck up on me so many times. but the hardware, i have to say, had not probs. lol. dl windows xp pro and install it

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I thought HP computers had there OS installed on a small partition instead of a recovery disc.. couldn&#39;t you just do a repair ..My dad has a Hp with xp home edition on the partition ..I know there is some sort of patch to install if you have have upgraded to sp1 ...check out the support site at hp.com it may help..

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    all good suggestions, thx guys.

accat13-you gave me an idea. Hp does put a recovery partition on their computers, even when you use the factory disks(i have the 7 disc factory bundle). During installation, I do remember it saying...."installing factory patch"...near the end, right before windows setup wizard comes on. This is probably the patch responsible for changing the values to say "XP5.1 2600", even though it isn&#39;t. Anyway, I think that&#39;s a good idea to use the recovery partition. I&#39;ll choose to keep the current configuration, THEN install a real version of windows. Otherwise, a straight installation of a real version of windows XP pro might fail. I can&#39;t decide which to do, but all these suggestions were good. I&#39;ll figure somethin&#39; out. B) thx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast