Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fans

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    A quick ( and not terribly conclusive) update...

I went ahead and performed the modification I had planned last night.

After 14 hours of continuous running the results are:

Motherboard, Hdd and ambient case temps have all fallen by 2C. A quick (30 minute) burn in test didn't budge any of the three.

The CPU didn't change one iota...it is still rock steady at 42C.

I am really beginning to wonder about this heatsink.

I am tempted to remove it and take off the fan which is nested in the center, then position a fan on a bracket a few inches away ( seeing as how I have a few spare fans laying around ).

This is my heatsink with the fan removed
    That is the theory behind he Zalman "flower" cooler. The major portion of the mass in this heatsink is the very center, the part which is also masked by the hub of the fan. I wonder if I uncloaked this center area if maybe I couldn't get this baby to shed a little more heat as I'm convinced that I now have a pretty good airflow through the case which should be capable of carrying away any more heat that I can dump into it.

Hmmm...

BTW, VirtualBody,

In theory I agree with your statement about how to position the fans, but...

In order to fully exploit the effect that you are going for I really should cut a bigger hole in my case roof ( right now there is just a aperture for a 80mm fan and even that is just the grid of holes, not an unobstructed hole) and mount a 120mm fan to match the one in my case floor. That setup would create some major airflow.
    As I am considering going to water cooling however, I am somewhat hesitant to cut any more holes than necessary until I have determined where the H2O components may be placed. I can envision putting the radiator up in the roof, for instance.
    Or I may just say what the hell and dedicate this case to an optimised air cooled solution and get another case to experiment with water cooling...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    My suggestion was to put 2x80mm fans at the rear blowing outwards. That's what I meant by "blow out near the top".

Right now you have "rock steady at 42C". My question to you is why do you see a problem with that? Why do you want it cooler?

The other question that comes to my mind is, if you keep changing things and you don't see any temp changes then perhaps the reading is for some other device temp. I don't know but just try for a very short while to stop the fan. Does that reading rise?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    Curiousity killed the cat, you know.

Unplugging the HS fan from the mobo caused the temps to rise rather dramatically-from 42c to 46c in a matter of 1 minute or so. I think my monitor is working...

Pulling air out from the area you suggest presents me with something of a dilemma...That exhaust fan is but a few inches away from the intake fan on the bottom of my PSU and I think I may set up a sort of conflict in that area. I could move my temp probe onto the PSU and try it I suppose, It's not like I haven't tried everything else...

Objectively, I realize that many people would kill for the stable, relatively low temps that I have ( keeping in mind that I am moderately OCed atm).

Subjectively, I can't help but wonder if I just can't do a little better.

How many attempts did it take Edison to come up with a suitable filament?
    A bit grandiose I admit, but you get my point...

edit: changed "considerably" to "moderately" upon reflection of the possibilities...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    Poster
    clocker what you clocked at atm?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    2300 (200x11.5)

Memory at 6,3,3,2.5T.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    hmm, i have a mobo that won't budge past 140,

i am planning to do better in the future... (also waiting till after april or so to see what crazy stuff happens to proccesors...)

i actually would have to say clocker, that the set up you may have, may be very close to the best config you can get for air coling with sound in mind... If you have the money i would get a new bigger case for a H20 set up... (unless you have some components external of the case)

H20 set ups tend to be big, and bulky, and you will want to keep it any large amounts of water you have towards the bottom of the case, with no electricle compenetes near it to be safe(unless you are saying you will never have leaks) (not impossible ya know)

Good luck too ya, i wil always be at hand to help in the world of water cooling!
    (that is about best thing i am good at - lol)

B) Al

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    Originally posted by SciManAl@17 November 2003 - 15:22
    hmm, i have a mobo that won't budge past 140,

i am planning to do better in the future... (also waiting till after april or so to see what crazy stuff happens to proccesors...)

i actually would have to say clocker, that the set up you may have, may be very close to the best config you can get for air coling with sound in mind... If you have the money i would get a new bigger case for a H20 set up... (unless you have some components external of the case)

H20 set ups tend to be big, and bulky, and you will want to keep it any large amounts of water you have towards the bottom of the case, with no electricle compenetes near it to be safe(unless you are saying you will never have leaks) (not impossible ya know)

Good luck too ya, i wil always be at hand to help in the world of water cooling!
    (that is about best thing i am good at - lol)

B) Al
    Al, I'm not sure about which water cooling components you have been using, but my list doesn't include a 55 gal. drum as a reservoir or a ex-marine bilge pump.

In fact, I think a water cooled system would require a much smaller case than my current Xaser3.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    hehehehehe

sory bout that, for a normal set up water cooling(not my insane test rig) you will need at leat a mid tower case for easy install and still maintain somewhat clear airflow...

Now it could be possible for you to fit it all ina small case... (just allot of crapp to fit in a small space)

hehehe

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    Got a spare 8cm case fan i could use one
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    Currently I have about 7 extra case fans.

Make my day.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast