Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbies

UKMan's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by JONNO_CELEBS@16 November 2003 - 04:46
    Well Ukman, it looks like you and me are the acceptions............Ukman and Jonno AKA n00bman and Jobbin

Who's with us

Jonno B)

Im sure we aint the only exceptions Jonno -

I remember a "sticky" i had here before i was absent. Since the board was redesigned, or whatever whilst i was gone, that sticky dissapeared. It was just on this subject - more or less.

Im sure that the more this thread is added to by others, we shall see that we are not as alone as we think.
    One of the drawbacks of forums is that most people dont have a clue as to the real identity of others, we only type what we wanna say and use smilies to accentuate - its bedding for trouble. We were born with mouths as well - shame we cant express ourselves more with the written word.

Peace
    UKGottaGetThatIntruderSoonMan

2. Lounge   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    You've probably seen how I treat noobs when they introduce themselves - I take the piss (gently I hope) and warn them of what is to come. Some stay, some don't, but I've never seen any take offense at what I've said. But I think the fact that they've introduced themselves means they have half an idea what to expect.

Jonno just tries to love them to death, which I think scares a few of them off (it certainly frightens me sometimes :'( ). How YOU doin, Jonno?

I tried a couple of other forums before I came here (and since), and believe me there are a whole lot out there that are scarier than this one.

But I can see part of the problem. My member number is in the 900's after the forum had been up about 4 months. UKMan's member number is about 3000, but only 2 months later. And Jonno's number is around 48000 after only another 8 months (not Jonno's first time, but the importance is the number of members). The sheer success of this forum has lead in part to the attitude we see from some of the members. They realise they cannot be fully controlled (or perhaps more accurately, they don't even think about it) whereas when I joined the small numbers obviously could be controlled.

UKMan, I'm not sure what period you were absent, but I too was away for quite a while (January to June I think), and the style of the forum certainly changed in that period. But I would hesitate to say that it was all for the worse.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Newbies taste like chicken.

Seriously, if you can survive the first kick in the balls, then "welcome". I did. I was lazy and stupid and had to get my act together.

Those who are worth their salt will not be put off. The initiation process is a critical part of maintaning the integrity of this forum.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

4. Lounge   -   #14
    i was lucky with me acclimitisation, largely due to the fact i knew a couple of members who were here before me, and i had a good look around before i started to post

i can still remember on my first day here, JPaul (at the time JimiF) said i seemed like the "right sort of chap"
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

5. Lounge   -   #15
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by hobbes@16 November 2003 - 04:33
    Newbies taste like chicken.
    Or do chickens taste like newbies?

Got to go now, I&#39;ve got to get some sleep or I won&#39;t have time to get plastered again when I eventually get up.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    JONNO_CELEBS's Avatar Densly Loadan BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Originally posted by lynx@16 November 2003 - 04:23

Jonno just tries to love them to death, which I think scares a few of them off (it certainly frightens me sometimes :&#39;( ). How YOU doin, Jonno?

Thats a lie.............a total misconcep.............oh............right

Well all good points made really

Lynx........I did&#39;nt realise you were such an old member
    I must admit, you see this forum grow to ridiculas levels every week, trouble being a lot of the members have never posted, maybe some of them feel intimidated reading thru, maybe some of them are just too lazy or maybe some of them think we look like a bunch of prats...............to be honest I don&#39;t really care, I&#39;m here, I have fun and I&#39;ll welcome any new member

Oh one more [email protected] you trying to tell us something with your avatar ..............How YOU Doin&#39; B)

Jonno B)
    Thinking about 1
    My Place & Arcade

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Yogi's Avatar Super Undulator
    Well, done, Jonno&#33;&#33;&#33;

But you will allways be a n00b to me.

Cos you are one of those lucky people who will allways keep the inner n00b alive&#33;&#33;&#33;

I&#39;m all for n00bism&#33;&#33;

Proud to be n00b&#33;&#33;&#33;-Yogi

The n00bsong:

I am so proud to be a noob
    even if that means i may need lube
    it&#39;s so nice to be a noob
    noobdedoobdenoob&#33;&#33;&#33;

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Poster
    We describe it in real life as "earning your wings".

People will get to know you thro&#39; time and we will learn what to expect from each other. As my learned colleague said, sometimes comments are not intended to really offend, however without the context of knowing a persons "way" they might be misconstrued.

I hear what you say Jonno and it has merit. However I tend not to invite someone to stay the weekend when we are first being formally introduced. Neither do I kiss on a first date, but that&#39;s just the way we were all those years ago. I get to know people first.

To all new people, if you like the feel of the board, then you will join in and become part of it. If you don&#39;t, then you may just have to accept it might not be the place for you.

Amphoteric was quite obviously the right sort of chap from day 1.

9. Lounge   -   #19
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by lynx@16 November 2003 - 05:23
    UKMan, I&#39;m not sure what period you were absent, but I too was away for quite a while (January to June I think), and the style of the forum certainly changed in that period. But I would hesitate to say that it was all for the worse.
    I was laid to rest round about summerish and was brought back from the dead last month i believe. Maybe your chin is stronger than mine

To counteract the misdemeanours i invited my trusted collegues to join me on this board. This failed misserably but was fun while it lasted. However, i draw back sometimes into my makebelieve world and draw substance from what i beleive is a perfect world of gentlemen and villains. Where things are black & white - good & bad and where the fine lines are so much wider.

The newbie in my world is one of the scoundral. Needs nurturing and fine cultivation. The bad leaves are plucked to allow the plant to blossom. Romantic balderdash? Maybe - but its my world and i love it.

Peace
    UKMan

10. Lounge   -   #20
    AussieSheila's Avatar Dazed & Confused
    Speaking as someone who has their ass soundly kicked as a newbie and beyond can I say that the attitude of some long term members on this board fairly sucks.

And yeah yeah I&#39;ve looked for other forums, but none have as many people therefore as much interaction. *sighs*

B) How YOU doin&#39;

Jonno

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast