Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Google pisses me off. Any other search engine I should try?

I use a GM script like Google Real Link. It convent the search results too plain links instead too all this re-direct shit.

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #22
    http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/9310

Tracking removal, infinite scrolling and multi columns
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #23
    Yahoo? lmao

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #24
    The real problem with using Google is that the company profiles you, and then tailors the search results on the basis of that profile, as well as whatever advertisers have paid them to promote their links. This may very well be what you want, but most likely it isn't.

As a concrete example of where profiling works against you, consider that whenever you go to airline sites looking for tickets, you should use private browsing and disable cookies. If you do not, then the airline website will track whatever destination ticket you are interested in, and on a subsequent return, if you perform that search again, they will show a higher price, because you've already demonstrated interest, and by virtue of the fact that you are performing the search again, the assumption is that you have yet to purchase a ticket, which makes you increasingly "price inelastic", i.e. as your trip date approaches you are increasingly likely to pay a higher price to secure transport. If you can disable whatever the websites are using to track you ( cookies, flash data, etc. ), then you will see the true price that the market is willing to bear (i.e. in general, as perishable goods get closer to their expiry dates, they should get cheaper, not more expensive ).
    Last edited by ssiewe; 01-25-2014 at 01:55 AM.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #25
    n00b
    What do you think about Bing vs Google? I don't use it much but I started advertising on it recently and get higher click through rates than on Google, so there is clearly a difference in the type of person who uses Bing vs Google. I think they are older and more affluent from what I understand, not sure why though.

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #26
    I'm starting to like bing a lot, it seems to be informative and more for research.

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #27
    Bing's image search is the best. Search results formatting takes a while to get used to but it's seems pretty accurate to me.

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #28
    Bing is nice, i use it alot.

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #29
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by Travo1 View Post
    Bing is nice, i use it alot.
    Use it to look up "alot". Go ahead, we've got time...
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #30
    There is often confusion over the words alot, a lot and allot.
    [/url]
    I read that much, and teh confusion overwhelmed me. I dont like to think alot.

(okay, okay, it isnt a word..you win)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast