Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
Results 61 to 70 of 70

Thread: Google pisses me off. Any other search engine I should try?

  1. #61
    Hmmm, never heard of duck duck but i'll give it a try

  2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #62
    I don't think DDG is a real alternative to Google; search results tend to be very bad, especially when searching for local stuff.

    There's also Startpage, which claims to do the same thing as DDG but only uses the Google index.

  3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #63
    DuckDuckGo gives different output on the regular version of the site vs. the HTML-only one (https://duckduckgo.com/lite), irrespective of your filtering settings. Weird, I know, but you may want to keep it in mind.

    As for the quality of search results, unfortunately none of the "alternative" search engines are completely on par with Google. For 95% of searches the difference won't be noticeable and you'll still find what you want, but for the remaining 5%, you'll likely want to use the big G through Tor Browser and hope you don't get too many captchas. Let's remember that before they turned into an omnipresent megacorporation, they started as a really damn good search engine... and they still are.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

  4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #64
    I know what the people at Google are thinking, "Well, we'll just need to make our search engine guess better at what people want then marked change and its reallly pissing me off - but no one else is talking about this ... Interestingly - apart from totaljobs

  5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #65
    I think that DuckDuckGo is other search engine, but is not a real alternative to Google. In the case that DuckDuckGo grows, Google only have to buy it and integrate your results into it.

  6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #66
    Quote Originally Posted by juansan View Post
    In the case that DuckDuckGo grows, Google only have to buy it and integrate your results into it.
    https://duckduckgo.com/traffic

    They have grown a lot, but still nowhere close to being a threat.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

  7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #67
    n00b
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    2
    yeah i totally agree, i think duckduckgo has a good potential and in some cases can be really useful but right now it's not even close i suppose

  8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #68
    ya DuckDuckGo is nice, I too have been using it recently

  9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #69
    Depending on which search engine you use you do get different results. If you don't want the web sites you visit linked to your google profile then skip Google and use DuckDuckGo which does not track you. Bing is pretty good and is on the same level as Google. DuckDuckGo is not quite as good but is OK most of the time.

  10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #70
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Right now I'm using, in order of preference...

    https://duckduckgo.com/
    https://eu.startpage.com/
    https://search.privacytools.io/ (a Searx instance)
    https://www.qwant.com/
    Dropped PrivacyTools (not due to quality, I just forgot they existed since the others were good enough), added Brave Search.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •