Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This is what crazy sounds like

Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    Texans are a special case but I'd just think a Canadian was from somewhere that isn't Texas or Louisiana or Kentucky or all those other places that drawl.

The Aussie/Kiwi thing is funny, I know a few Aussie girls who insist that their accent is distinct from Kiwis, but I honestly can't discern it at all.
    You can tell regional dialects from the UK quite easily can you not, the difference between a liverpudlian and a londoner are obvious ? Or a Welsh and a Scottish accent ?

To me the difference between an Aussie and a Kiwi is as obvious, the Australians have a more nasal quality to the pronounciation and flatter vowels, I mentioned the word six before, it sounds like sex when pronounced by an Australian which gives us a slight giggle, I'm still waiting for an Aussie to turn up and jump up and down though.....
    Where is ILOVENZB when you need him?

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

2. Lounge   -   #12
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Oh yeah, I know it's a perception thing.
    I'm just a gigantic xenophobe.

I do think, though, that the difference between the examples you gave and the difference between a kiwi and an aussie dialect - and indeed the canadia/america accent - is much more pronounced and would be discernible by pretty much everyone.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    Oh yeah, I know it's a perception thing.
    I'm just a gigantic xenophobe.

I do think, though, that the difference between the examples you gave and the difference between a kiwi and an aussie dialect - and indeed the canadia/america accent - is much more pronounced and would be discernible by pretty much everyone.
    It is obvious that the examples I gave are much more pronounced, but then you have had a few thousand years to differentiate, New Zealand has only been a nation since 1840.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

4. Lounge   -   #14
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I never thought of it like that but that could be because French and Germans don't have the same extent of regional diversity in dialect we do - and their history is comparable.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12