Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirc Security Question

I've started using IRC more now, although much less files, I quite like. But wouldn't tracking of users IPs etc be much easier than even kazaa? I've asked a similar question about this before, but I understand IRC a teeny bit better now so I wanted to elaborate on my question.
    Wouldn't a "bad guy" just need to enter a room, add himself to a download list, and type "queues" and "sends" to see whos in the queues and whos receiving the file. How easy is it to get an IP from a user name in IRC?, I know that the user names aren't registered or anything but surely its similarily as easy as what they do with kazaa?
    My point being, that if this was true, since its so easy to just pop into a IRC room and see whats going on, doesn't this mean that its an even bigger risk than kazaa? Especially because IRC is such a good and reliable place (at the minute I think), to get movies? Wouldn't this make it a bigger target?

Thanks for your help.
    Cheers

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    that's so true its scary

proud to be american

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    I'm not all to sure about this and perhaps someone like Swietek could comment, after all most users have disclaimers and I know some use proxies...

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Sorry, just wanna push this back up, so that someone like Swietek, as you say could give his input, as I presume he would know abobut this stuff? Before it gets lost at the bottom of the board somewhere, as I feel like its an important 'security' question about this app.
    And yea, you're right, alot of ppl put up disclaimers, but does anyone know if this actually works, I mean will it standup in court?
    And I was curious about, say if some1 didn't actually DL from the host, but has the hosts username and the username of the downloaders, is there a way to assertain their IPs, either through IRC or otherwise?
    Thanks again for any input.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    Yeah, there are alot of threads that need to be pushed up like this because peeps just post the same thing over and over but I can stay busy answering questions so I don't mind.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Did I ever mention that your avatar scares the complete crap out of me!

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Lord of the KLF
    alot of servers encrypt your ip from other users

eg

our server that hosts the forum channel irc.p2pchat.net encrypts ips

pop on in sometime #KLChat

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    How easy is it to get an IP from a user name in IRC?
    too easy...all you have to do it /dns a user and you can get their address and IP

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Lord of the KLF
    Originally posted by just_for_shiz@14 December 2003 - 19:13
    How easy is it to get an IP from a user name in IRC?
    too easy...all you have to do it /dns a user and you can get their address and IP
    not if the server encryps ips lol

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    well...I asked the same question to some IRC gurus over on Undernet, and basicaly this is what they told me.

the RIAA is after numbers, more users = more money for them to get via sueing And.....on mIRC, there is usually no less than 300 file sharers on at any given time (Undernet anyhow.....) and.....if they did want to get rid of IRC file sharing, all they would have to do is close the network down like what they did to DalNet a year or 2 back. I mean, yea, they might try sueing 1 or 2 people...just for shits n giggles, but they would be more prone to simply force the network shutdown like they did to Dalnet.

As far as security, use PeerGuardian, as well as a good firewall (Outpost or ZoneAlarm Pro) with the PGIPDB loaded in the firewall. You should be safe. I've been on Undernet for close to 3 years now and haven't had any threats via e-mail or postal mail, and I never get any connection rejections while on IRC either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast