Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: An Article On Problems Wrought By The

vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by TheDave@16 November 2003 - 23:39
    whats your oppinion on this article viv?
    I personally think that is quite an important article, which most people should take time to at least skim through. I have not had time to go through it with a fine-toothed comb, however I feel that it addresses many issues. One of the most important of which is the fact that the meat based diet is incredibly inefficient. It is perfectly logical that the animals waste some energy before they are consumed.

Also, I found interesting the point regarding deforestation. I did not know that this was an issue. I personally think that it is shocking, as we (as a planet) have precious few resources left, and should really be starting to conserve some on a global scale. It has opened my eyes, and I think that I would like to look morre into this

edit: and yes JP, i used an analogy which was relevant to my point. Your use of the analogy isn't really analogous to the situation at hand

edit: Yes, JP I am aware that you start topics, and i have enjoyed participating in them from time to time. I still do not however see the need to hijack topics, when everyone is able to start their own
    <insert signature here>

2. Lounge   -   #62
    Poster
    Originally posted by vivitron 15@17 November 2003 - 00:45

edit: and yes JP, i used an analogy which was relevant to my point. Your use of the analogy isn&#39;t really analogous to the situation at hand
    I think you will find that it is.

The chap was hardly a regular in this particular lounge / bar.

Your analogy was based on a group of friends having a discussion in a pub. I would suggest that the stranger was the person who started the thread, by placing the article on the table, whilst making no comment on it.

3. Lounge   -   #63
    The person here made it clear that they wanted to start to discuss this topic. They did this by placing a thread in an open forum for people to view. This can only be compared to saying "Hey, theres something here that i found interesting, would anyone like to comment"

The people jumping in and spamming were effectively shouting over the top of this person and his conversation. In effect "butting in", if i may use such a colloquism. Granted, the conversation had not yet begun to take effect, but the speed of a conversation on a forum and in a pub are incredibly varied.
    <insert signature here>

4. Lounge   -   #64
    Forum Star
    I would love for you to prove this to not be true. I dont believe that you will be able to
    , prove what ??

that you have a selective sense of humour ?
    the reason i said that was that having a look at your member title and sig would suggest that you do actually have a sense of humour, but i failed to notice it when you started posting in this thread as if it was a matter of life or death (sorry to steal your thunder BigBoab).

And yes, i do indeed have a selective sense of humour. I do like Friends, however i do not like Bo Selecta. I would imagine that this is true of most individuals, however, again this is not the topic at hand.
    i&#39;d have to agree (on the "most individuals" part) but i&#39;d have to guess that&#39;s due to the fact that friends has an audience of hundreds of millions, whereas i doubt most non uk folks have ever heard of bo selecta (as well as it mainly just takes the piss out of brits, so it would hardly be relevant to anyone else), to their loss.

But, please answer me one thing
    Why not start your own topics?
    because since i returned to the board a couple of days ago, i&#39;ve seen umpteen threads about vegetarians etc etc, and since this is the lounge whats the problem ?

so please return the favour and answer a question,
    why not lighten up ?

ps - i cant believe i&#39;m spending so much time with this, if your not happy then pm a mod instead of trying to act like one - there&#39;s plenty of serious threads about veg lately, why dont you post in those ?

5. Lounge   -   #65
    Poster
    Originally posted by vivitron 15@17 November 2003 - 00:57
    The person here made it clear that they wanted to start to discuss this topic. They did this by placing a thread in an open forum for people to view. This can only be compared to saying "Hey, theres something here that i found interesting, would anyone like to comment"

The people jumping in and spamming were effectively shouting over the top of this person and his conversation. In effect "butting in", if i may use such a colloquism. Granted, the conversation had not yet begun to take effect, but the speed of a conversation on a forum and in a pub are incredibly varied.
    Which part don&#39;t you understand.

It&#39;s the equivalent of someone not saying anything, because he didn&#39;t say anything.

He made nothing clear, because he didn&#39;t say anything.

The thread was worthless, because he .... what&#39;s the point.

6. Lounge   -   #66
    I apologise, though it did seem from your post that you were insinuating that my personal comments were spam. I realise there is very little ways to emphasise your comments, as there is IRL. In the same way, I was meaning that most people have a varied sense of humour. I fail to see why this was referred to.

The comment about "this is the lounge..." is exactly my point. Why is it that threads in here are able to be spammed, when this is clearly against the rules of the forum? The purpose of the lounge is for people to be able to enjoy the ability to discuss "Off-Topic" discussions.

I assure you I am very similar to you, I just fail to see why this mentality has emerged in the lounge...It was never like this when I was a more active lounge member.

And your last comment intrigues me. I would love to be able to post in a serious thread about meat, however people keep spamming them...this is exactly the case in hand. If I were trying to act like a mod, then I would be attempting to move this thread, however I&#39;m not going to waste my time; it would be futile.

I just can&#39;t see the benefit to anyone of spamming threads about such as this in here. A few months ago, I was able to discuss things with people, without the need for them to resort to spam, like they do now.
    <insert signature here>

7. Lounge   -   #67
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@17 November 2003 - 00:05
    Which part don&#39;t you understand.

It&#39;s the equivalent of someone not saying anything, because he didn&#39;t say anything.

He made nothing clear, because he didn&#39;t say anything.

The thread was worthless, because he .... what&#39;s the point.
    The fact that he posted meant that he registered an interest in the topic, JP as well you know. If he didnt want to discuss it in a civilised manner, then he wouldnt have posted.
    <insert signature here>

8. Lounge   -   #68
    Poster
    Is Spam meat, is that the problem.

9. Lounge   -   #69
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@17 November 2003 - 00:14
    Is Spam meat, is that the problem.
    No JP, Im sure you can see my point. I would just like to know why it is that the concensus around the lounge is that it is all about spam. The lounge is a place for "Off-Topic" discussion.

edit: removed JPs quote line, see below
    <insert signature here>

10. Lounge   -   #70
    Poster
    Originally posted by vivitron 15@17 November 2003 - 01:12
    If he didnt want to discuss it in a civilised manner, then he wouldnt have posted.
    You would think so wouldn&#39;t you.

However I tend to base my judgements on evidence, rather then "common sense".

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast