Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: An Article On Problems Wrought By The

vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    It is true that:

Originally posted by saying
    common sense isn't
    however there is no reason to spam this topic. If people feel it is "flame-bait" or "uninteresting" then why not allow it to fall? maybe someone else would like to discuss it?
    <insert signature here>

2. Lounge   -   #72
    Poster
    Originally posted by vivitron 15@17 November 2003 - 01:15

No JP, Im sure you can see my point, as I&#39;m pretty sure you are quite an intelligent man.&nbsp;
    Thanks awfully for that, condescending as it may be.

I am sure you are quite an intelligent tax dodger as well.

Does the superiority complex come naturally, or do you have to work at it.

3. Lounge   -   #73
    incredibly sorry there. I have edited my post, as it may indeed not have sounded genuine. I was in fact refering to the fact that i am aware thaty you are an intelligent, well read gentleman. (or so is the opinion that i have informed of you from reading your posts). I do have to work at being condescending, however this, again is not the issue.

It is late, and I shall be retiring soon. The only thing that I would like to know is why people feel the need to thread-spam. That is all. It is clearly against the rules, and as such i fail to understand how it continues.

edit: oh, and by the way JP, I have paid quite a lot of tax into this country already, and after having graduated, I would like to get a good job; a result of which is that I will pay more tax, but such is life. I am not bitter or angry at this.
    <insert signature here>

4. Lounge   -   #74
    Originally posted by vivitron 15@17 November 2003 - 00:57
    The person here made it clear that they wanted to start to discuss this topic.&nbsp; They did this by placing a thread in an open forum for people to view.&nbsp; This can only be compared to saying "Hey, theres something here that i found interesting, would anyone like to comment"

The people jumping in and spamming were effectively shouting over the top of this person and his conversation.&nbsp; In effect "butting in", if i may use such a colloquism.&nbsp; Granted, the conversation had not yet begun to take effect, but the speed of a conversation on a forum and in a pub are incredibly varied.
    Viv,

I think the problem here is that this thread stems from a thread started by JPaul last night and most of us on this thread know it. Apparently Burkem felt unsatisfied with the outcome and decided to show up today with a copy and paste article to show us that he was right. I find it ironic that when he landed in the thread last night, it was apparent that he hadn&#39;t taken the time to read what others had already stated, and now he starts off here with a long reading assignment I bet he hasn&#39;t fully read.

The discussion took place last night, this thread was a simple attempt to "show us who was right". It takes no effort to rely on the words and academic degrees&#39; of others to express your point. A discussion comes from his taking the time to condense the key points from the article and express them in his words, providing a link for the person to read the source.

The desire to have a discussion was immediately recognized as a disingenuous and was treated in such a manner. Had the thread not had this history behind it, I am confident that it would not have been treated thusly. It also would have had a better chance of survival in the World News section, which hangs in heavy stagnation at the moment.

I, of course, have not participated in this spamfest, but then again, I&#39;m not some apple drinking, : selling, barsteward
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

5. Lounge   -   #75
    Poster
    Originally posted by vivitron 15@17 November 2003 - 01:26
    incredibly sorry there. I have edited my post, as it may indeed not have sounded genuine. I was in fact refering to the fact that i am aware thaty you are an intelligent, well read gentleman. (or so is the opinion that i have informed of you from reading your posts).&nbsp; I do have to work at being condescending, however this, again is not the issue.

It is late, and I shall be retiring soon.&nbsp; The only thing that I would like to know is why people feel the need to thread-spam.&nbsp; That is all.&nbsp; It is clearly against the rules, and as such i fail to understand how it continues.

edit: oh, and by the way JP, I have paid quite a lot of tax into this country already, and after having graduated, I would like to get a good job; a result of which is that I will pay more tax, but such is life. I am not bitter or angry at this.
    Too late mate.

Are you aware of the phrase " In vino veritas"

You don&#39;t have to work on being condescending, you pretty much have it sorted.

I&#39;m glad that you are not angry at having to pay a lot of tax, given that this will only happen if you have a substantial income. How magnanimous of you.

Maybe one day you may meet someone who has to decide whether to feed themself or their child. I hope not, but you never know, it might happen.

6. Lounge   -   #76
    I thank you for taking the time to discuss this. I assume
    http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?...ic=81904&st=90
    this is the thread to which you refer. I read a little bit of it, but to be honest i couldnt be bothered to join a thread which was so long, so i was not aware of the history.

however surely the easy thing would be to allow this to drop off the bottom? i may have come along and replied. if noone wanted to discuss, it would have disappeared.

it just bugs me that every topic ends up in this way in here. maybe i seem on my high horse, but its just one of those many niggling things.
    <insert signature here>

7. Lounge   -   #77
    Forum Star
    vivitron15, you&#39;re whining on and on about people spamming, man this is the lounge. i agree with what has been said that the thread wasnt up to much to begin with

judging by your various replies that have jumped from you feeling the need to police the forum to using piss-poor analogies about phsycological theories etc etc - if you feel the need to prove a point or get something off your chest then why dont you start a new topic ?

this and the way you use your particular brand of terminology make me think that you are under the impression that you are somehow above everyone else, and you&#39;re right and everyone else is wrong. big deal if you think i spammed a topic, as i said there&#39;s a few of these already

and as for "I assure you I am very similar to you", man what the f*ck ??

8. Lounge   -   #78
    I&#39;ll answer the main points that have came up, i&#39;ll have to be quick though as i&#39;m working in the morning.

Why did i post the article?
    Because i thought some board members might find it interesting, i still do. Having last night got involved in another thread on the subject, and reading some misconceptions, i thought i&#39;d source an article from someone who knows what they are talking about.

Should i have condensed the points?
    I don&#39;t really see how i could have, or indeed, why i should have. The article isn&#39;t really that long; maybe hobbes thinks i should have posted some pictures instead.

Why did i not post my opinion?
    Well, the author is a leading scientist in his field, and i am not. What was i meant to say?:- &#39;Oh ya, i agree completely....&#39; or &#39;There&#39;s a couple of things i&#39;d like to add to that....&#39;.
    Besides, the Topic title clearly states that i&#39;m posting an article. Why JPaul thinks he is some sort of board almighty, who decides what can and cannot be posted, i don&#39;t understand. I have yet to see a board rule that states members cannot source articles written by authoritative scientists, unless they give their opinion afterward.

Did i expect a debate to arise from this?
    No, not really. I must admit that i&#39;m quite surprised at JPaul though, i too thought of him as being intelligent; now i think he has an attitude problem.

Do i care that the thread got spammed?
    No, although i do think it&#39;s pretty pathetic. I&#39;m actually quite glad it&#39;s getting so much attention. That way, anyone who might be interested in learning about important ecological issues will see the post here, and take the time to read it.

9. Lounge   -   #79
    Poster

Is that the best you can do ?

I hope you and the rest of the happening dudes had a good time down the pub.

When I was a young gun like you I didn&#39;t come home and post on the interweb (it didn&#39;t exist).

I certainly didn&#39;t come home and answer specific points with well thought out, well constructed answers. I really didn&#39;t give a flying feck about what other people thought.

I am glad you are so much more mature and that you went drinking with your mates, then came back and posted such an elegant reply. Well done that man.

Hope your work goes well in the morning, another thing I didn&#39;t give a feck about.

10. Lounge   -   #80
    summerlinda's Avatar Pyretta¤Blaze
    How low can you go JP, i think you&#39;ve become an arse or maybe you always were but i didn&#39;t see it...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast