Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: libtorrent/rtorrent

i honestly have no idea where to ask this so i'm just going to go ahead and ask here. ok, so i have been using rtorrent for the last few days and it takes some getting used to, but i think i'm going to make it my permanent linux client. now here's my question:

say you have a torrent with 2 files. (this is an oversimplification but you'll see what i'm trying to say). one file is like 100 kb and the other is 1 gb. i just want to download the 100 kb file so in the file list i set priority "off" on the 1 gb file. problem is, because the piece size is larger than 100 kb, it overlaps onto the 1 gb file and rtorrent ends up creating a 1gb dummy file which takes up unnecessary space on my hd. what should i do? it seemed that all other clients i have used in the past had a way around this so it wouldn't create an unnecessary space-wasting file and i would have thought rtorrent would be no different but that is not the case. is there any way around this?

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Poster
    Although it would be 1 gb if fully downloaded it would only be using few mb in practice.
    Last edited by stan; 03-11-2012 at 07:05 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    hmm... ok, but it's saying that it's also 1 gb in my file browser.
    Last edited by deiby; 03-11-2012 at 07:16 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Poster
    Rtorrent does not usually preallocate the space

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    ok... so do you know how i would get it to not create the 1gb file in the example?

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    ok, so i'm having a few issues with rtorrent. i've been to the official site at http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no but they don't really have a forum and i can't seem to find one searching on google. does anyone know of a good forum where i can get help with this stuff? appreciate anyone who can point me in the right direction!

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Irc is probably going to be your best bet.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkin' View Post
    Irc is probably going to be your best bet.
    i see. will check it out. thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12