Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about internet speed

Why is that my internet download speed with Comcast is 12mbps but I am lucky to get up to 1.5mbps when dowloading torrents. Could I switch to the cheaper 6mbps and it not make a difference?

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Throttling don't know if switching will do it, but try updating your settings to those of the optimisation guide, watch what your limit is set to in uTorrent.
    Also, does 1.5 show up in uTorrent. Cos you pay for 12Mb, so that's equal to 1.5 MegaBytes

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutela View Post
    Also, does 1.5 show up in uTorrent. Cos you pay for 12Mb, so that's equal to 1.5 MegaBytes
    The thread started said "12 Mbps", so I guess he knows about that marketing trick.

And yeah, the answer's probably P2P throttling/shaping, a dirty practice my ISP also engages on to avoid buying new equipment.

Thankfully, using uTorrent in uTP-only mode (bt.transp_disposition 10) solved that. Supposedly, they can't shape UDP traffic without affecting other non-P2P applications, and also can't sandvine it like they used to. Of course, they can always disconnect you if they want.
    Last edited by anon; 09-04-2010 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Small typo
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutela View Post
    Throttling don't know if switching will do it, but try updating your settings to those of the optimisation guide, watch what your limit is set to in uTorrent.
    Where is the optimization guide? Also, what do you mean 12mb is equal to 1.5mb? So how fast are you guys getting with utorrent? I can save a lot by going from Comcast 12mbps to ATT Dsl at 6mbps.
    Last edited by wbandit; 09-04-2010 at 05:34 PM.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by wbandit View Post
    Where is the optimization guide?
    Options -> Setup Guide

Also, what do you mean 12mb is equal to 1.5mb?
    Connection speeds are measured in megabits, while uTorrent would show your speeds in megabytes per second. To convert bits to bytes, you must divide by eight. So 12Mbps (megabits per second) divided by 8 = 1.5MB/s (megabytes per second).

So how fast are you guys getting with utorrent?
    I'm on a 3Mbit plan and can get over 350kB/s, which is very good.

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    I'm on 10Mbit, and get about 1.2 MegaBytes/secm, the optimisation guide is linked to in pretty much every private trcker there is, and on the uTorrent page too, quick google will get it for you.

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by bokoo View Post
    i have a 10 M NGN
    Let's trade my 3Mbit Cable for your connection.

I can obviously give it a usage better than yours, by not posting loads of crap just to trade as soon as I'm able to, for example.

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    i am gettin a wimax

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    Move to a more liberal country..

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #10
    axa's Avatar Member BT Rep: +5
    12 mb : 8 = 1,5 real mb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast