Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: A Dangerous Method

Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Did you enjoy Memento by any chance Mary?

2. Lounge   -   #12
    I think you were probably focusing on the wrong thread in the story Mary. Were you mostly following the Jung/Freud relationship?

3. Lounge   -   #13
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Does it have Anais Nin in it? If so, I'd be expecting a lot more than poncy areolae.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    I think you were probably focusing on the wrong thread in the story Mary. Were you mostly following the Jung/Freud relationship?
    No, I was being a total pervert. Really actually, and in my quest I found the transitions abrupt, especially when I was skipping around. However, there are truly abrupt transitions even when I left the remote alone. That's all I'm saying. I saw potential for something deeper but found its pitfalls and became disheartened. Basically, just a weird boner movie for me. Including aformentioned Anais Nin references.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

5. Lounge   -   #15
    I have no idea what an Anais Nin is. Is it something to do with breasts?
    I probably wasn't following the film with a critical enough eye. I didn't have any prior knowledge of the subject matter so it was all new and interesting to me. I was told by my fellow cinema goer that it was a fairly good depiction of Freud and Jung. He studied Psychology. He didn't think much of it either though.
    I liked Freud's total self belief: "you must agree with me, and if you don't it's all the result of the pathology I'm talking about"
    Genius!

6. Lounge   -   #16
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    I probably wasn't following the film with a critical enough eye. I didn't have any prior knowledge of the subject matter so it was all new and interesting to me. I was told by my fellow cinema goer that it was a fairly good depiction of Freud and Jung. He studied Psychology. He didn't think much of it either though.
    I liked Freud's total self belief: "you must agree with me, and if you don't it's all the result of the pathology I'm talking about"
    Genius!
    Anais Nin was something of a disciple of Jung's and a damn fine writer in her own right. She had loads of sexual experimentation with Jung and wrote extensive diaries. She fucked Henry Miller, but then who hasn't.

Some feminist type I was going out with years ago gave me nine volumes of her journals, but I only got to about the second volume before I decided the girl needed elbowed (and psychotherapy). My girlfriend, not Anais Nin. Well, both, come to think of it.
    Last edited by chalice; 04-15-2012 at 10:40 AM.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by chavis View Post
    Genius!
    Anais Nin was something of a disciple of Jung's and a damn fine writer in her own right. She had loads of sexual experimentation with Jung and wrote extensive diaries. She fucked Henry Miller, but then who hasn't.

Some feminist type I was going out with years ago gave me nine volumes of her journals, but I only got to about the second volume before I decided the girl needed elbowed (and psychotherapy). My girlfriend, not Anais Nin. Well, both, come to think of it.

-doobs

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Oh the film never mentioned her! Sounds interesting, she must have been quite a courageous woman when she wasn't being mental.

I think the film highlighted nicely that suppression of instinct causes psychological trauma. Freud was wrong to focus exclusively on sexual repression but at that time that was a massive facet of Victorian/Edwardian society, and he could only remark on what he saw I guess. Shame he lacked the vision/open mind to extrapolate and project from his evidence. Favourite line was Jung: "Have you considered monogamy?" Otto: "for a neurotic like me that would be far too stressful a concept"

Have you read much Henry Miller, Chavvy?

9. Lounge   -   #19
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    If I was a Mod I'd either move this thread to the Movie section or stop hassling people for posting on the wrong part of the board.
    Respect my lack of authority.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Hey Idol, if you weren't a top bloke I'd punch you in the froat for suggesting it x

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast