Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P2p Millionaires On The Increase

internet.news
    I found this on Slyck, ok Kazaa founders are also just humans, but
    sharing thoughts should be free ;) ok, if someone would offer me millions
    of dollars or euro I wold take it probably, but then I would share it with
    others as well... cause it is more than enough for me ;)

~nice dreams...

"... P2P Millionaires on the Increase
    November 15, 2003
    Ciarán Tannam
    Advertising and bundled software many not sound like a recipe for making big money but in the P2P industry it can be enough for even the smaller P2P companies to rake in millions of dollars. Industry observers say that Sharman Networks' annual revenue is estimated to be $175 million and court documents show that much smaller players like StreamCast have earnt many millions from P2P. There is certainly some serious money to be made out of P2P.
    Slyck details a P2P rich list based on some known earnings and some industry estimates. It is no surprise that those who created the most commercially successful P2P application of all time are also the biggest earners.
    Niklas Zennstrom and Janus Friis have made a small fortune out of P2P. The Swedish duo formed Kazaa and FastTrack as well as several companies connected with the network. They have been responsible for licensing the code to iMesh, Grokster and StreamCast. Court documents show that they take up to 40% of the revenue of Kazaa. Wayne Rosso, CEO of MP2P, told Slyck the industry estimates that Sharman earns $175 million from their P2P application annually. If this is the case then the Zennstrom and Friis may be sharing up to $70 million from Kazaa on an annual basis.
    Elan Oren also comes near to the top of our P2P rich list. Elan formed iMesh back in 1999 and is now CEO of the company. He had not faced any big lawsuit up until the recent RIAA filling. Slyck estimates that iMesh has earned the Israeli owner a cool $100 million since 1999.
    Another low profile high P2P earner is Californian resident Daniel Rung. Daniel is the founder and owner of Grokster Ltd. Daniel, his brother and his son, have made millions through cydoor advertising and large bundles of 3rd party. Daniel has stayed away from the limelight and is known to most people by his online pseudonym of Henry Wilson.
    Like Zennstrom and Friis, Pablo Soto has founded his own P2P network. Pablo created the MP2P network that is used by Blubster and Piolet. It seems like only yesterday that Pablo was struggling to make money from Blubster. Now he is earning a small fortune via the P2P application, thanks to a large community and adopting the likes of cydoor in the Blubster application. The 23 year old can only get richer with his big plans for the application. iMesh and StreamCast are interested in licensing access to the network and Pablo plans to extend the network to sharing all file types.
    Other individuals that have made some serious cash out of P2P worth noting are Vinnie Falco of Bearshare, Mark Gorton of LimeWire, Jon Hess of Direct Connect and Jed McCaleb of MetaMachine. In addition, Shawn Fanning may have gained a few million from selling his P2P application to venture capitalists and others. On the other side of the coin Hillary Rosen’s salary only hit over 1 million a year thanks to her high profile assault on P2P applications.
    While there is some serious money to be made out of a P2P application, you can also get your fingers badly burnt if you are not careful. Johnny Deep is in serious dept after a long battle against the RIAA. He is believed to owe just under $2 million to parties related to his lawsuit and has been declared bankrupt. The company that has probably lost the most through P2P is Bertelsmann, with over $110 million worth of failed investments in Napster.
    The key to a P2P operator hitting the jackpot seems to be growing a large community, controlling legal costs, bundling 3rd part software and supporting proven P2P advertising solutions such as Cydoor. ..."

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    Just look at the owner of Grokster, just money everywhere all of of ads

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    On the other side of the coin Hillary Rosen’s salary only hit over 1 million a year thanks to her high profile assault on P2P applications.
    I find that quite funny, actually highly amusing that the Kazaa owners (and others involved in p2p) raised more *bling* than Hillary Rosen or anyone in the RIAA !!!

As for Sharman Networks, I don't think that having spyware is a very ethical way of running a business. I think it would be better if they remove all the spyware and run the program on a voluntary basis, whereby users can send in donations if they want to. They would probably still get millions of dollars.

I wonder how much K-Lite get in a year (if we are allowed to know)

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    well i guess thats what u get in a capatalistic world ,everyone wants to earn money
    Open your mind

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    internet.news
    Originally posted by Gre1@18 November 2003 - 03:49
    Just look at the owner of Grokster, just money everywhere all of of ads
    I just wonder everytime that you can make money
    of just ad!!!!

just open a new company making ads!!!

ads ads ads - everythere!

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Sparkle1984@18 November 2003 - 16:01
    I think it would be better if they remove all the spyware and run the program on a voluntary basis, whereby users can send in donations if they want to. They would probably still get millions of dollars.
    i highly doubt that they would get much money that way

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by Benno+18 November 2003 - 17:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Benno @ 18 November 2003 - 17:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Sparkle1984@18 November 2003 - 16:01
    I think it would be better if they remove all the spyware and run the program on a voluntary basis, whereby users can send in donations if they want to.&nbsp; They would probably still get millions of dollars.
    i highly doubt that they would get much money that way [/b][/quote]
    You don&#39;t think so?? So you think the spyware should be kept in instead?

But I still think that if they did remove it and move on to a voluntary donation basis, they probably would still get some millions because many millions of people around the world love their software. Probably not as much as &#036;170 million, I know, but still enough for them to survive on.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Sparkle1984+18 November 2003 - 21:26--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sparkle1984 @ 18 November 2003 - 21:26)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Benno@18 November 2003 - 17:06
    <!--QuoteBegin-Sparkle1984
    @18 November 2003 - 16:01
    I think it would be better if they remove all the spyware and run the program on a voluntary basis, whereby users can send in donations if they want to. They would probably still get millions of dollars.

i highly doubt that they would get much money that way
    You don&#39;t think so?? So you think the spyware should be kept in instead?

But I still think that if they did remove it and move on to a voluntary donation basis, they probably would still get some millions because many millions of people around the world love their software. Probably not as much as &#036;170 million, I know, but still enough for them to survive on. [/b][/quote]
    No I tdont think that they should keep the spyware I just doubt that they would make much money on woluntary basis.

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Removing spyware and giving away a P2P program will never happen. There is no source of revenue.

Anyone who thinks this would work is a moron. And I mean that in a polite way.

This is the information age whether we like it or not. Data is being mined on a level so vast that most people cannot comprehend it.

I&#39;m sure the owner(s) of the Sharman Networks truly don&#39;t mind the various versions of their software being put out(outside of the crappy versions). This only increases their user numbers. This translates directly into more revenue due to the higher ad rates they charge.
    This is a very fundamental principle in this day and age. The internet is a lot like a newspaper. More viewers, more ad revenue. Why do you see companies, TV stations, etc. always wanting you to go their websites? To get the numbers up.

It ain&#39;t rocket science people.

Just my 2 cents from a college graduate with a major in business.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by harrycary@20 November 2003 - 01:23
    Removing spyware and giving away a P2P program will never happen. There is no source of revenue.

Anyone who thinks this would work is a moron. And I mean that in a polite way.

This is the information age whether we like it or not. Data is being mined on a level so vast that most people cannot comprehend it.

I&#39;m sure the owner(s) of the Sharman Networks truly don&#39;t mind the various versions of their software being put out(outside of the crappy versions). This only increases their user numbers. This translates directly into more revenue due to the higher ad rates they charge.
    This is a very fundamental principle in this day and age. The internet is a lot like a newspaper. More viewers, more ad revenue. Why do you see companies, TV stations, etc. always wanting you to go their websites? To get the numbers up.

It ain&#39;t rocket science people.

Just my 2 cents from a college graduate with a major in business.
    wow that&#39;s very informative shit...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast