Thread: Unix

Is it worth learning, or at least getting farmiliar with it? If so, how do you get it, and what would I need to know before trying it out? Thanks!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    probably not worth getting unix but linux or a bsd would be a good start
    www.linuxiso.org is the place to start it has mirrors for free download of most of the current distros.

i would get suse or red hat they are easy for beginners.

http://www.tldp.org/ read as much as you can from that site is it full of all the info you need.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    But would I be able to run it when I have windows XP running though?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    try knoppix it is a easy way to play with linux without the hassel of partitioning and dual booting.

you just burn it is disk and whack it into the cd-rom it will run linux instead of windows when ever the cd is in if you setup your boot sequence properly.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Uh huh........I shall attempt this.....

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by opivykid@17 November 2003 - 13:42
    But would I be able to run it when I have windows XP running though?
    yes, if you use a virtual machine program like VMWare or VirtualPC. it will not function 100% correctly because some of the hardware (like video and networking) has to be emulated, but it's a bit more safe & hassle-free than setting up a dual-boot.

but a dual-boot (a menu asks you which system to boot, Windows or Linux) is the better option if you want both systems to work completely right.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Would I be better off using my other computer? Its not really "perfect" haha, as it won't recognize my sound/video cards, or any USB/Ethernet ports, and visuals are terrible, seing as that theres nothing for graphics, and i'm not too sure if it recognizes the RAM, but i think it does. But its got a good size HD and I'd be able to print things out, so if Linux isn't really heavey on specs, than would that be an option?

edit - I have no way of conecting to the internet with that comp. either...