Thread: Vmware Network/xp Pro

Got some good tips here so I went the route of installing VMWare netowrking and then installing XP Pro from the bootable cd while in the VM window. Pro installed fine and I can open it as the guest OS in VM.

So here's the dumb question #1:
    Where did the XP Pro install, into which new or old folder? It didn't overwrite the Home XP since I do reboot into the Home edition. Are the XP Pro files as "installed" via VM invisible protected files that I can't see?

Since I'm at it, here's question #2:

Any good forums for VMWare newbies like myself? TIA.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Only in a Processor.
    Originally posted by benitosan@18 November 2003 - 02:40
    So here's the dumb question #1:
    Where did the XP Pro install, into which new or old folder? It didn't overwrite the Home XP since I do reboot into the Home edition. Are the XP Pro files as "installed" via VM invisible protected files that I can't see?
    hmm...i think that you just will have to uninstall both, and just install Windows Xp Pro, cuz it seems that it is just reading the home edition as your primary os. there is a way to have 2 os's on the same hd, but you'll have to use a program called partition magic.

Since I'm at it, here's question #2:

Any good forums for VMWare newbies like myself? TIA.
    My suggestion on this, is to look on a search engine for "VMWare Forum"
    Only in a computer will I find happiness.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    The default VMware virtual machine folder is in Documents and Settings\(user)\My Documents\My Virtual Machines

For a normal installation, you should find a folder with a (fileName).vmdk of about 2 gig along with some config files.

And no, you won't be able to view those files outside of the VMware program.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Well, the idea of VMWare is that I can use Pro as a "guest" OS while keeping Home as the real OS. This worked fine. I'm not ready to uninstall Home right now.

But I'm still curious as to "where" the Pro is.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    XP_Pro.vmdk = the virtual machine XP Pro virtual-machine-disk

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I see it now--the vmdk file. Thanks DL.