Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broadband Connection

Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I leave my computer on constantly, and for about a week now, if I leave my computer idle for a while, like while I sleep, the connection releases. I have to restart my computer to get the connection to reestablish, I'm not sure if its a software problem or what, but I'm baffled by it. Anyone know what could be causing the problem, and why it never happened before?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Use something that sends useless packets. AKA keep connection alive

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    just try restarting the modem

proud to be american

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    it does that to mean sometimes too. sometimes i have to disable the connection RESTART then turn of the modem, then turn back on after 15 seconds, then enable the connection again.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Oh, I know how to temporarily fix the problem, I just want to know what could cause this to happen, so as I may have a permanent solution. The fact that this only started happening recently is what bothers me.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    maybe your isp is disconnecting you after a long time of inactivity. always on 24/7 my arse.

just go to a command prompt and try

ipconfig /release

that should do the trick without restarting.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Shouldn't that be /renew?

Anyway, try ipconfig /all. You'll see "Lease Obtained" and "Lease Expires" at the bottom. What's the time difference between the two? Mine's 4 days, but I've never left my computer on that long.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Cl1mh4224rd@18 November 2003 - 05:50
    Shouldn't that be /renew?

Anyway, try ipconfig /all. You'll see "Lease Obtained" and "Lease Expires" at the bottom. What's the time difference between the two? Mine's 4 days, but I've never left my computer on that long.
    No, 4play had it right.

You have to release the old ip before you can get a new one from the dhcp server.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Well, Thanks for the tips there guys! Will try them when I have the problem again.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Hey, I'm sort of drawing from this thread here, cuz uh.. it's similar, only I have some sort of virus. I don't feel like looking for a forum for this.
    Here's the deal, tho:
    I have done housecall, many times, no result.
    However, my computer just randomly restarts.
    Well, I think it may be whenever it goes idle... but I notice that when it has a heavy load, when it slows down REALLY bad, then it just *clicks* off and restarts and u know how there's that part of the boot up where it looked for the boot drive, the hard drive? well it tries to boot from a CD for some reason.
    So i have to turn off the computer, and then start up again, and it works fine.

but i can't get many k-lite dls anymore, since it turns off overnight (every mornin, it is at the blank boot screen "cannot find CD drive "something something" please instert disk..")
    It does it when i am gone at school too.

PISSEN ME OFF!
    god. seriously, ALL VIRUS MAKERS OUT THERE!
    Why do you DO this to me??
    all the freakin time, except this time it is worse cuz i can't find it.
    but geez. If you're going to use your knowledge for evil, then hack my computer, or get something that steals credit card numbers.. BE PRODUCTIVE... It really pisses me off that someone creates something like this, and it serves no purpose other than to annoy its victim.

Okay, rant over.

any help would be nice.
    sorry for the innapropriate placement of this entry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast