Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Problems With My Country

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    An examination of the reasons for this crumbling social firmament leads to places no one wants to go.

Religion, morals, principles-

We cannot agree on their definition, origin, or necessity.

How very sad that any reasonable discourse is short-circuited before it can even get underway.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Poster
    I think that people who perpetrate these crimes have no respect or fear of the law.
    this is because corporal punishment has been done away with. the threat of a public flogging or the act of one, would deter 90% of them.
    as a youth in the 1950's we all respected policemen, i've had my earhole clipped a few times for being a little arshole, did me more good than harm. but i see these teenage arseholes swaggering up to policemen and taunting them because they know they can't be touched, makes my blood boil. my children tell me they are afraid of police in Spain, because if they step out of line they get battered.
    like dwightfry said Spain here i come.

Disillusioned Brit.
    Man U fer eva

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@18 November 2003 - 06:56
    america: love it or leave it.
    Hi,

I agree!
    <span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>VEGASGUY</span></span>

CLICK HERE FOR INFO ON PRIVATE BT TRACKER&#33;

<span style='color:red'>Proud Fasttracker member</span>

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Originally posted by j2k4+18 November 2003 - 07:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 &#064; 18 November 2003 - 07:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-3RA1N1AC@18 November 2003 - 02:56
    america: love it or leave it.&nbsp;
    I&#39;m not sure I understand the sentiment or intent behind this remark, 3RA1N1AC. [/b][/quote]
    just abusing an old slogan. or corrupting it, so to speak.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC+18 November 2003 - 20:47--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3RA1N1AC @ 18 November 2003 - 20:47)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by j2k4@18 November 2003 - 07:49
    <!--QuoteBegin-3RA1N1AC
    @18 November 2003 - 02:56
    america: love it or leave it.

I&#39;m not sure I understand the sentiment or intent behind this remark, 3RA1N1AC.
    just abusing an old slogan. or corrupting it, so to speak. [/b][/quote]
    Ah.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    this is disturbing. many of those children are miracles, while others obviously not so lucky

but remember, if you make over &#036;20,000 a year, you are the top, what 3% richest people in the world?

when you think these kinds of things happen in other parts of the world, you find out they&#39;re happening right at home, the sad thing is, being in the u.s., we have the money to prevent these kinds of things from happening, even if the parents don&#39;t.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    I really is amazing (and terrible) that while we live though the most prosperous period humanity has ever had, that people can be allowed to live in such terrible conditions. A lot people simply accept that this happens in "human resource rich" countries, and mercifuly many of them try to do something about it, like sponsoring a child.

Unfortunatly many western goverments seem to be loosing the plot in terms of domestic issuses of poverty. Why arn&#39;t foster parents examined more closely, and further, why does it take months or even years to discover the abuses? I think many western governments, especially my own Australian government needs to be looking at much better background checks, more regular visits, case workers being alowed to speak to children away from foster parents, etc.

And on the right to die (or live), I think that HAS to be up to the individual. I think the sancity of life only exists if it can be experienced - what is the point of having a great gift if you cannot enjoy it.

And I would also urge people to think about what they would like to happen if they ended up in a vegitative state. Personally I wouldn&#39;t want the hospital&#39;s resources to wasted on me, so I&#39;d want someone to pull the plug.

AND MAKE SURE YOU TELL YOUR FAMILY AND LOVED ONES WHAT YOU WANT&#33;&#33;&#33;
    You many not be able to donate your organs, etc if you havn&#39;t and they question your wishes. A guy who died here in Australia was able to save 17 other people by donating his organs, so remember - RECYCLE - you ain&#39;t gunna need &#39;em anymore.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    i think the terri schiavo controversy makes a great case for the concept of the "living will." it prolly won&#39;t change the minds of religious fundamentalists who deny any difference between life and life-support, but at least it&#39;d make the patient&#39;s opinion crystal clear and keep the government from having to arbirtarily decide whether life-support truly is life or merely a simulation of life.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@19 November 2003 - 02:48
    i think the terri schiavo controversy makes a great case for the concept of the "living will." it prolly won&#39;t change the minds of religious fundamentalists who deny any difference between life and life-support, but at least it&#39;d make the patient&#39;s opinion crystal clear and keep the government from having to arbirtarily decide whether life-support truly is life or merely a simulation of life.
    Gooooooood point&#33;&#33;

Leaving no room for error is an oft-ignored but effective tactic.

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Yogi's Avatar Super Undulator
    2/3 of baby&#39;s in the states between 18-24 month have french fries as their main vegetable food.

Source:Volkskrant-Dutch Newspaper

Yogi

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast