and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

2. The Drawing Room   -   #62
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    J2K4

Whilst the examples you originally cited are sad and ghastly I would be surprised if they were peculiar to the US. All nations have those who, for whatever reason, do things that disturb the foundations of social cohesion - be it in the US, Africa or Asia.

With regards to moral relativism, I am unconvinced that is the problem. Ghastly acts of cruelty can be found in any age and any culture - all shocking even by the standards prevailing at the time.

There will always be those who reject commonly held views on acceptable behaviour whether for personal gain, power or pleasure (or any combination of the three). Sometimes these people gain enough power to skew the whole of society as in Nazi Germany but mostly they plough a lonely furrow of self contained acts of unpleasantness, souring life for all who are unfortunate enough to come into contact with them.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. The Drawing Room   -   #63
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Biggles-good to see you here.

All you say is true, of course.

I am disappointed to be living in a society that fails to move with alacrity against such behavior, rather than just the individual, if even then.

I always regarded "Moral Relativism" as an institution where you brought certain dilemmas, the principles of which needing weighing.

I don't believe it is suited for use as just another tool to justify or vindicate every bad behavior that emerges from a twisted mind.

The method du jour seems to be, "Nothing else is working-let's try MORAL RELATIVISM!"
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567