Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Pet Hate

Poster
    This has annoyed me for years. I think of this post as a catharsis.

I hate it when people open a hardback book, bend the spine until the two covers touch each other and break the spine of the book.

It annoys me when it is done with paperbacks, but when it is done with a hardback it really gets me deep down.

I don't know why this is but I just find it very difficult to watch. In fact the sound it makes is even worse.

Sorry about that, but I feel better now.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    WeeMouse's Avatar Small and Squeaky
    let that fraustration out JPAul!!!

Recently, i gave my brother my 1st edition Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban to read...and he decided to read it while eating his dinner....those two don't mix well...

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Poster
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

We have the first edition hardback as well. I would be loath to let a fool read it, never mind while dining.

As you say the two don't mix.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    I hate it when people open a hardback book, bend the spine until the two covers touch each other and break the spine of the book.
    Yeah I agree with that. A broken spine just looks bad on hardback books. But on Paperbacks I dont know...I think the creased spine gives them character. It shows how much people have enjoyed the book...but thats just my opinion

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Poster
    I find it annoying when people bend pages over at the top, instead of using a bookmark.

Lazy sods

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Oh now thats my pet peeve. I mean come on people...you can use just about anything for a bookmark (if you're too checp to dish out 2 bucks for one)...but instead they bend the pages...now that unlike a creased spine...that just makes the book look bad. Oh and btw I dont bend the pages but Im also to lazy to use a bookmark...I just remember the page

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by Curley@24 May 2003 - 00:25
    I find it annoying when people bend pages over at the top, instead of using a bookmark.

Lazy sods
    Good point, well made.

We call them Dog Ears.

How lazy can you get. Put anything in the page, or as the chap says - remember the page.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Both of those annoy me. But also when someone takes the cover of a paperback and rolls it backward, in order to read the book one-handed. You see a lot of that on the bus/airplane...

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Those things get me too. But only with hardbacks. I don't care about the paperbacks as much because I usually get them second hand and they are most likely 4th 5th or 6th hand.

The next on my list is people who write in books. Underlining text or circling whole passages. Even those cryptic noes they write in the margins. That really annoys me and most definately distracts from the story.

Oh yeah, and don't forget about the people who re-sale books that are missing about 10 pages in the middle
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    BANNED
    This has annoyed me for years. I think of this post as a catharsis.

It annoys me when it is done with paperbacks, but when it is done with a hardback it really gets me deep down.

I don't know why this is but I just find it very difficult to watch. In fact the sound it makes is even worse.

Sorry about that, but I feel better now.
    yes agree pain in the ass

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast