Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Skype-good As It Sounds?

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I am concerned the natural (and deserved) bias against "Kazaa" (because of Sharman's idiocy) is interfering with opinions about Skype. If it is advertized as adware/spyware free, I must admit, I'm tempted.

I'm looking around for my mic, but I can't find it-may need to go buy one, as I need it for other things anyway, whether I do this or not.

I'm torn.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    "Skype works with any firewall, no configuration required"
    I wonder what my firewall will have to say about this. I know my reaction is "fuck that"! Nothing happens on my system without my permission.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    i might give it a go, it seems good but i will search for spyware if its there...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    I've been using Skype for a while, and I'll tell you. It's great! The quality of the sound is absolutely awesome and it's somewhat a revolution in IP-telephone softwares.

Wheter it's ad/spyware-free or not I don't have a clue. But Ad-Aware doesn't find anything.

Give it a go.!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Retired
    Originally posted by MediaSlayer@18 November 2003 - 10:16
    lol ike they ain't gonna admit their product sucks ^_^ that graphic is skype's own evaluation.
    --the nero thing looks good though
    THIS IS NOT FROM THE PEOPLE WHO ADDED SPYWARE to KAZAA

its from the people who designed kazaa

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    To enforce the fact that the developers of Skype are not the same people as Sharman Networks, here is the homepage of Joltid - The owners of FastTrack and the original developers of Kazaa (before the spyware/adware/general crap age )

www.joltid.com

Personally, I've been meaning to try this for a while - I might do soon

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    i dled it along time ago to tak with my bro. its an awesome program.
    and there is no spyware. i did a scan after i installed it. and there are no ads.
    "The key to confusion free communications is, to mute your mic when you are finished speaking. if both parties do this the program works amazingly well "
    what? why not just end the call when your done talking. you can reconnect later. how does the program not run well if you dont mute your mic?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Originally posted by ninjamonkey@18 November 2003 - 22:02

"The key to confusion free communications is, to mute your mic when you are finished speaking. if both parties do this the program works amazingly well "
    what? why not just end the call when your done talking. you can reconnect later. how does the program not run well if you dont mute your mic?
    Some people get confused by the few sec delay. or sometimes a echo. Muting the Mic is not ending the call im sure you know that. if you get a echo. its only because the other person has their Mic open. if they mute their Mic when your talking , you wont hear an echo.

If you Mute your Mic after your finished speaking. then the other person can talk without having to hear you breathing and responding 3 seconds late to something they said 3 sec ago. the appearance of a delay is eliminated because you dont hear the other person breathing for 3 secs after they are waiting for your response.

Muting the Mic is like using a walkie talkie. or like Yahoo or MSN. your basically using the "push to talk" option thats in other programs. when the other person is finished talking they mute their Mic. then when you hear them Mute their Mic and Stop talking, you un-mute yours and start talking. just like you would in a Yahoo voice chat.

But thats only for people that are having problems communicating with the Mics continuously on.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    ah i see. well, i never had the echo problem.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    as i was asking in this thread, have any americans had any luck evading long distance charges with this program?? The last time I downloaded something "free" was buzme, if i'm not mistaken. If memory serves correctly, you have to PAY for the call waiting service or it won't work.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast