Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Scientists Find Mystery Particle

  1. #1
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Over here!
    Posts
    19,631

    Scientists find mystery particle
    By Dr David Whitehouse
    BBC News Online science editor

    Scientists have found a sub-atomic particle they cannot explain using current theories of energy and matter.

    The discovery was made by researchers based at the High Energy Accelerator Research Organisation in Tsukuba.

    Classified as X(3872), the particle was seen fleetingly in an atom smasher and has been dubbed the "mystery meson".

    The Japanese team says understanding its existence may require a change to the Standard Model, the accepted theory of the way the Universe is constructed.


    An eternity

    X(3872) was found among the decay products of so-called beauty mesons - sub-atomic particles that are produced in large numbers at the Tsukuba "meson factory".

    It weighs about the same as a single atom of helium and exists for only about one billionth of a trillionth of a second before it decays into other longer-lived, more familiar particles.

    Although this is extremely short-lived by human standards, scientists say that a billionth of a trillionth of a second is nearly an eternity for a sub-atomic particle this heavy.

    Particles smaller than the atom are grouped into families depending upon their mass, spin and electric charge.

    But X(3872) is peculiar in that it does not fit easily into any known particle scheme and, as a result, has attracted a considerable amount of attention from the world's physics community.

    New pairs

    Its discovery was recently confirmed by researchers at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Illinois, US, home of the Tevatron, the world's largest atom smasher. It was the US outfit that gave X(3872) its mystery tag.

    A normal meson is comprised of a quark and an antiquark held together by the "colour" force, also called the "strong" force because it is the most powerful known in nature.

    The large variety of meson particles that have been found to date reflect the many different ways that these combinations can be achieved.

    However, again, X(3872) does not match theoretical expectations for any conceivable quark-antiquark arrangement.

    To explain it, theoretical physicists may have to modify their theory of the colour force; or make X(3872) the first example of a new type of meson, one that is made from four quarks (two quarks and two antiquarks).


    Following on from similar scientific breakthroughs, I look forward to this discovery changing my life for the better...



    Source

  2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Aberrant
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,494
    Originally posted by barbarossa@18 November 2003 - 09:39
    To explain it, theoretical physicists may have to modify their theory of the colour force; or make X(3872) the first example of a new type of meson, one that is made from four quarks
    • Don't four quarks make a gallon?
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-03-2007 at 10:01 AM.

  3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ur anus
    Posts
    2,783
    have u guys heard of wavicles? part wave , part particle?


    sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

  4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Originally posted by barbarossa@18 November 2003 - 14:39

    Scientists find mystery particle
    By Dr David Whitehouse
    BBC News Online science editor

    Scientists have found a sub-atomic particle they cannot explain using current theories of energy and matter.

    The discovery was made by researchers based at the High Energy Accelerator Research Organisation in Tsukuba.

    Classified as X(3872), the particle was seen fleetingly in an atom smasher and has been dubbed the "mystery meson".

    The Japanese team says understanding its existence may require a change to the Standard Model, the accepted theory of the way the Universe is constructed.


    An eternity

    X(3872) was found among the decay products of so-called beauty mesons - sub-atomic particles that are produced in large numbers at the Tsukuba "meson factory".

    It weighs about the same as a single atom of helium and exists for only about one billionth of a trillionth of a second before it decays into other longer-lived, more familiar particles.

    Although this is extremely short-lived by human standards, scientists say that a billionth of a trillionth of a second is nearly an eternity for a sub-atomic particle this heavy.

    Particles smaller than the atom are grouped into families depending upon their mass, spin and electric charge.

    But X(3872) is peculiar in that it does not fit easily into any known particle scheme and, as a result, has attracted a considerable amount of attention from the world's physics community.

    New pairs

    Its discovery was recently confirmed by researchers at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Illinois, US, home of the Tevatron, the world's largest atom smasher. It was the US outfit that gave X(3872) its mystery tag.

    A normal meson is comprised of a quark and an antiquark held together by the "colour" force, also called the "strong" force because it is the most powerful known in nature.

    The large variety of meson particles that have been found to date reflect the many different ways that these combinations can be achieved.

    However, again, X(3872) does not match theoretical expectations for any conceivable quark-antiquark arrangement.

    To explain it, theoretical physicists may have to modify their theory of the colour force; or make X(3872) the first example of a new type of meson, one that is made from four quarks (two quarks and two antiquarks).


    Following on from similar scientific breakthroughs, I look forward to this discovery changing my life for the better...



    Source
    yeah buddy.
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-03-2007 at 10:02 AM.
    SMARTY SMARTY HAD A PARTY NOBODY CAME BUT SMARTY

  5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Originally posted by MediaSlayer@18 November 2003 - 14:53
    have u guys heard of wavicles? part wave , part particle?
    Arent waves made up of photons?

  6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Originally posted by MediaSlayer@18 November 2003 - 14:53
    have u guys heard of wavicles? part wave , part particle?
    you're talking about light?
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

  7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Light conforms to both a particle and a wave, so if you examine it to prove it&#39;s a particle it will conform to the rules and can be seen as a particle, the same if you try for a wave.

    It&#39;s the process of examination that determines if it one or the other, so in the case of light it&#39;s both and the same depending on your point of view.

  8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Over here!
    Posts
    19,631
    Originally posted by junkyardking@21 November 2003 - 00:04
    Light conforms to both a particle and a wave, so if you examine it to prove it&#39;s a particle it will conform to the rules and can be seen as a particle, the same if you try for a wave.

    It&#39;s the process of examination that determines if it one or the other, so in the case of light it&#39;s both and the same depending on your point of view.
    Don&#39;t get me started on that nonsense....

    ...although I saw this the other day which kind of almost explains it...?

    Light can Twist as well as Spin



  9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Originally posted by junkyardking@21 November 2003 - 00:04
    Light conforms to both a particle and a wave, so if you examine it to prove it&#39;s a particle it will conform to the rules and can be seen as a particle, the same if you try for a wave.

    It&#39;s the process of examination that determines if it one or the other, so in the case of light it&#39;s both and the same depending on your point of view.
    my old physics lecturer just used the term wave-particle duality

    you could have saved yourself a bit of time there
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

  10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    internet.news
    Guest
    interesting... maybe the particle is a part of the hidden p2p revolution ;) no,
    you cannot expect of people sharing their thoughts openly, cause they are just humans. But probably, it is something ...


    ;)

    Help, they discovered traces of my starship - huh...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •