Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comcast Warns Bit Torrent, E-donkey Users

New Round of DMCA Letters
    Comcast warns Bit Torrent, E-donkey users
    Written by Karl Bode, dslreports.com

Users of Bit Torrent and E-Donkey get a visit from the DMCA fairy via Comcast headquarters. As Kazaa became the primary focus of the RIAA's pirate-hunt, many users fled to alternate networks like E-donkey or began using Bit-Torrent (see past article on Bit Torrent) in the belief they might be able to avoid the piracy police. According to this thread in our Comcast forum, that isn't the case. The E-donkey crackdown isn't surprising, since it's a mainstream p2p application, but the Bit Torrent film crackdown has even more traders fleeing to newsgroups and IRC.

The letter itself:

Dear comcast high-speed internet Subscriber:

Comcast has received a notification of claimed infringement made under the Digital millennium Copyright Act(the'DMCA&#39. This notification, made by a copyright owner or its authorized agent, reports an alleged infringement of one or more copyrighted works made on or over Comcast's High-Speed Internet service(the 'Service&#39. The works identified in the notification of claimed infringement are listed below. In accordance with the DMCA and Comcast's acceptable Use Policy, Comcast request that you immediately remove the allegedly infringing works from the Service or Comcast will be forced to remove or block access to the works.

If you believe in good faith that the allegedly infringing works have been removed or blocked by mistake or misidentification, then you may send a counter notification to Comcast. Upon Comcast's receipt of a counter notification that satisfies the requirements of the DMCA, Comcast will provide a copy of the counter notification to the party who sent the original notification of claimed infringement. We will the follow the DMCA's procedures with respect to a received counter notification.

For more information regarding Comcast's copyright infringement policy, procedures, and contact information, please read our Acceptable Use Policy by clicking on the terms of Service link at »www.comcast.net

Sincerely,
    Comcast Network Abuse and Observance Team...

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    internet.news
    does not sounds good... but the ISPs have the power to
    making available p2p as well ...

and if you are the CEO of a great p2p - probably some
    read this - probably not - you really can change somthing....

Remember: Each User, Everyone on our small earth counts!!!
    also if this often does not look so! Everyone is important - and
    everyone can change a little ;)

I am trying to share my thoughts openly also if some other ppl
    close do not want to share their thoughts - I cannot except that,
    cause they are just humans as well... but I can share my thoughts
    openly...

~nice dreams...

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    The important thing is WHO is it looking for these violations and WHAT violations are they looking for in particular?

MPAA and recent movies or tv shows?
    RIAA and whole music albums?
    BSA and various software programs?
    All the above?

If MPAA is going after people sharing tv shows I might be in trouble...

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    wait what is this letter saying i dont get it

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    does the ip thingy block out comcast? i don't think it does. but in my za log, i get a lot of ips from comcast that i blocked. am i save or in danger?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    letters like those are nothing new to me and isps contacting the customer on behalf of the content/copyright owner is part of the dmca- the isps are legally obligated to cooperate/notify the customer from what i've read/ heard about...

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by dingdongding@19 November 2003 - 18:55
    letters like those are nothing new to me and isps contacting the customer on behalf of the content/copyright owner is part of the dmca- the isps are legally obligated to cooperate/notify the customer from what i've read/ heard about...
    so htat letter didn't mean they caught the guy?

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    from the letter:

Comcast has received a notification of claimed infringement made under the Digital millennium Copyright Act(the'DMCA&#39. This notification, made by a copyright owner or its authorized agent, reports an alleged infringement of one or more copyrighted works made on or over Comcast's High-Speed Internet service(the 'Service&#39.
    the isp has to follow thru with any copyright infringement request made to them by a copyright owner or company/group representing them and verify the info of the file sharing infraction by their customer- a product of the riaa verizon 2002 court case (the dmca being put to the test)

they're the go between and plus you can't stop your own isp from knowing what you do with their connection unless maybe you're some crazy knowledgeable peep (if that's even possible)

so far the movie file sharing infractions haven't been a big deal as far as consequnces but who knows what will happen going forward (in the u.s.)

ddd

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    i swear comcast runs one of the mirrors for suprnova thats a bit of irony for ya.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Originally posted by 4play@19 November 2003 - 19:58
    i swear comcast runs one of the mirrors for suprnova thats a bit of irony for ya.
    yea, but those r users of comcast who have their own web space. they r hosting suprnova through their account. that's where u get mirrors with words like urgrandma in there

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast