Thread: No Sound After Upgrade

Bebi's Avatar Super Duper Member
    I upgraded my pc

2000+ xp athlon amd
    64mb graphics card
    256 ddr sd2700 ram

my sound worked ONCE after I restarted it never came back, I did not upgrade my sound card along with the other stuff.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    what OS if it is xp and your mobo also has a sound feature(although it may be crappy) Windows xp will by default choose the mobo sound set up, not the card (have no clue why though)...

which can be changed in the sound preferences
    hope that helps

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    its xp but not a crappy mobo

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by SciManAl@18 November 2003 - 16:20
    what OS if it is xp and your mobo also has a sound feature(although it may be crappy) Windows xp will by default choose the mobo sound set up, not the card (have no clue why though)...

which can be changed in the sound preferences
    hope that helps
    can you give me a guide to this please?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    BANNED
    Go into BIOS and see if you have onboard sound, if you do, disable it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    ya sure u put the sound cable in the right place, or even in the right slot??

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@18 November 2003 - 15:24
    Go into BIOS and see if you have onboard sound, if you do, disable it.

where in this post does it say that the mobo has onboard sound? or that a separate sound card has been fitted?

if your new board HAS got onboard sound you cannot install a separate pci soundcard without disabling the onboard sound in the bios first or it will conflict and probably neither will work.

if you have not fitted a pci soundcard and have onboard sound (or vice versa) it may be a case of needing drivers, right click my computer then click properties>hardware>device manager and see if anything is highlighted with a ? or !, if so right click and update driver, if your board came with an installation disk use that or get the details of the problem device and go to manufacturers site and download the drivers.

if nothing is highlighted in device manager then goto control panel>sound, speech and audio devices>sound and audio devices then click advanced in volume and see if anything is muted, if so untick, also are your speakers connected to the right jack? (green)

last but not least when you post a problem it helps if you give as much info as possible ie motherboard make and model and/ or if you have fitted something new, the make and model

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by boyzeee@19 November 2003 - 02:11
    where in this post does it say that the mobo has onboard sound? or that a separate sound card has been fitted?

if your new board HAS got onboard sound you cannot install a separate pci soundcard without disabling the onboard sound in the bios first or it will conflict and probably neither will work.

if you have not fitted a pci soundcard and have onboard sound (or vice versa) it may be a case of needing drivers, right click my computer then click properties>hardware>device manager and see if anything is highlighted with a ? or !, if so right click and update driver, if your board came with an installation disk use that or get the details of the problem device and go to manufacturers site and download the drivers.

if nothing is highlighted in device manager then goto control panel>sound, speech and audio devices>sound and audio devices then click advanced in volume and see if anything is muted, if so untick, also are your speakers connected to the right jack? (green)

last but not least when you post a problem it helps if you give as much info as possible ie motherboard make and model and/ or if you have fitted something new, the make and model
    beautiful post!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by boyzeee@19 November 2003 - 02:11

Completley wrong.

In the control panel, sound and audio devices, you can choose any installed device and set the default for playback, recording, or midi. I've used onboard with a sound card many times. Sometimes you only want to hear the "clicks" and sometimes you want full theatre sound that some onboard can't quite handle. Many people have both and it's been an included feature since windows 98 at least.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by DL.+19 November 2003 - 05:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DL. &#064; 19 November 2003 - 05:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-boyzeee@19 November 2003 - 02:11

Completley wrong.

In the control panel, sound and audio devices, you can choose any installed device and set the default for playback, recording, or midi. I&#39;ve used onboard with a sound card many times. Sometimes you only want to hear the "clicks" and sometimes you want full theatre sound that some onboard can&#39;t quite handle. Many people have both and it&#39;s been an included feature since windows 98 at least. [/b][/quote]
    i was trying to make it as simple a possible, no real information was given, as was the advice. It wasnt even clear whether or not there were two sound devices being used, I tried to cover all possibilties in one answer so that it got the sound working which was what was wanted, the post didnt say i need "both" my sound devices to work, All I got from the post that they knew little about the settings and i didnt wanna confuse them by getting into setting this or that device as defualt etc. And i dont really see why if someone has gone to the trouble of upgrading the soundcard they would want to switch back to using the usually inferior onboard sound that if left enabled IMO is just taking up resources. but each to there own i suppose