Thread: Copying Game Through Hard Drive?

TRshady
    Hey people,

Here's the situation:

I want to copy a game for a mate (gta vice city), but the crack which comes on the cd doesn't work, requiring a separate 2.5mb crack which obviously wont fit on a floppy and would be a waste to use a whole cd for it. CD1 of the game is 670mb and just want to know if this would work:

Copy all the files from cd to a folder on my hard drive
    Place the working crack in that foler
    Then simply burn all data in that folder to another cd

Will it work?
    May sound noobish, but its something I've never come across before and as he is not very good with pc's I just wanna make things easier.

Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    i'm not sure about CD-Burning - don't do it too much myself, but simpler methods would be:

- get him to download the crack himself
    - split the crack into nice disk sized files with WinRAR
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Make a CD image with any program like Alcohol, Blindwrite, WinISO.
    Open the CD image with WinISO.
    Create a 'Crack' folder inside the CD image and put the crack inside (if this already exists just replace the crack with the working one).
    Save it.
    Burn the image.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    TRshady
    Thanks darth, but he's a bit of a noob, so would probably run into trouble and I wan't to avoid the hassle of floppys etc, and would want a copy of the fixed game for myself to place in my giant cd collection.

Thanks Johhny B, I'll try what you suggested. Have alcohol ... time for a play with it.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    TRshady
    <Bump>

and heres an update.
    Got both winiso and Alcohol 120% installed.
    Made an .iso from the cd. Added crack and saved. But cant burn that image because I get this error.

I tried mounting the image, converting it to .bin but keep getting the same error and cant write or copy to cd. Someone help&#33; ... this is driving me mad ...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Have you tried burning it with Nero?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    TRshady
    No, but I find nero to struggle with any kind of copying due to copyright.
    Still, I&#39;ve tried copying the disks anyway after seeing the error and it seems to work fine, tested and worked so I guess its not very important.

Thanks for the help.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by TRshady@18 November 2003 - 21:23
    <Bump>

and heres an update.
    Got both winiso and Alcohol 120% installed.
    Made an .iso from the cd. Added crack and saved. But cant burn that image because I get this error.

I tried mounting the image, converting it to .bin but keep getting the same error and cant write or copy to cd. Someone help&#33; ... this is driving me mad ...

Uncheck the RMPS and check the "Rectify SUb Channel Data. i cant burn on RMPS either

P.S. WInISO or ISO Buster or UltaISO will allow you to add or remove things from a image