Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Screwed Up Startup

Poster
    Don't think I have installed that update. Do you think it could be Norton. Like some file is missing which doesn't affect functionality but makes it hang while loading up auto-protect. As I said earlier I have Norton AV 2k4 pro and I think my system started to hang at start after i installed. I don't mind uninstalling. I took advice from ppl on this board and I d/l norton corp 8.2 Is norton corp just as good does it lack any important features. I just want to know since I might have to uninstall 2k4.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    Corp is all I use on all my systems. It works well and I really don't even notice it's there. Regular Norton is too intrusive I find. You may have to look for the Norton remover on one of the warez sites or really scrub your reg before you install it. It seems to conlict if some of the other Norton reg entries remain.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    Well before I had norton 2k4 pro i have 2k3 pro and I did not delete any entries. Could that have to do with the problem? My 2k4 functions perfectly so it is not acting up. So if i install corp I should use reg searcher in jv powertools and search for norton/symantec/liveupdate? Thats what i use to del reg entries from programs. What is this norton remover you speak of, never heard of it. Also does corp have all the options of 2k4. I mean does it protect you just as well and is as good at catching viruses because protection is important.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    Yeah it works great but you won't see things popping up all over till a virus is actually detected and quarantined. It doesn't make a big fuss and ask you silly questions all the time. It won't stop incoming mail but if a virus is opened, it's caught and dealt with right away. It's made for a server client setup so it tries not to interfere with any of the system functions at all.
    The remover gets rid of stuff like LUcom and symevent, reg entries that the norton uninstaller leaves behind. You'll see it on a lot of warez sites now. Corp doesn't use those files and won't work if they are there.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    You sure about that, I uninstalled 2k3 pro on my friend's comp and installed corp. It installed and was working.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    Maybe 2k3 isn't as evil but earlier versions for sure have caused problem.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    Should i try to delete as many norton entries as possible before corp instalation just to make sure?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Poster
    Yeah I think so. Someone here tried a minor clean up only and then found that realtime scan wouldn't run. She had to really dig through some obscure norton extensions to clean it up and reinstall. The standard Norton file remover didn't get them all. Depends on your OS too i guess. Whatever works for you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12