Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Is There A Point

  1. #1
    Is there any point in life at any level, ie at the individual, species or all life level?

    Personally i don't think there is one. I believe in evolution ie in my view life came from nothing and exists only because it tries to exist and perpetuate itself, this makes its hard to see any good reason to exist. Without a reason to exist, life doesn't seem to have any real value.
    If life has no value or point why is killing other people wrong? Why is suicide a bad thing?







    yes my project write up is boring & depressing and no i'm not in a bell tower with a rifle.

  2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Poster
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    176
    Originally posted by ilw@19 November 2003 - 11:58
    Is there any point in life at any level, ie at the individual, species or all life level?

    Personally i don't think there is one. I believe in evolution ie in my view life came from nothing and exists only because it tries to exist and perpetuate itself, this makes its hard to see any good reason to exist. Without a reason to exist, life doesn't seem to have any real value.
    If life has no value or point why is killing other people wrong? Why is suicide a bad thing?







    yes my project write up is boring & depressing and no i'm not in a bell tower with a rifle.
    Um.. Sound's a wee bit suicidal!!

  3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    the write up isn't going that badly..........................yet

  4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Originally posted by ilw@19 November 2003 - 12:58
    Is there any point in life at any level, ie at the individual, species or all life level?



    Personally i don't think there is one. I believe in evolution ie in my view life came from nothing and exists only because it tries to exist and perpetuate itself, this makes its hard to see any good reason to exist. Without a reason to exist, life doesn't seem to have any real value.
    If life has no value or point why is killing other people wrong? Why is suicide a bad thing?







    yes my project write up is boring & depressing and no i'm not in a bell tower with a rifle.
    Yes, ilw-

    There are many "points"; perpetuation of species, pursuit of happiness, to "make a contribution"-all that sappy crap.

    It sounds trite, but it means everything to everybody (well, almost everybody).

    Life has much meaning, on many levels, to many people.

    Your conclusion about the value of life and the killing/suicide issue is, I would imagine, the one those who commit suicide or kill usually reach.

    Hopelessness sucks donkey-dick.

    Glad to hear your doldrums are temporary.

    All this because a paper is going badly?
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    You are leaning towards Existentialism and there is nothing wrong thinking about it. After existentialism became popular many people actually commited suicide because they thought there is no meaning to their life. In US people were exposed to existentialism through Sartre and Camus.

    If you come to think, is it that the only reason why you are not killing people or committing suicide is because you think you might go to heaven and yours acts might be punished? Everyone knows thats BS.

    Philosophy evolved into what is right and what is wrong. Laws are somewhere in between to benefit everyone. Murder is wrong, it was ever since. These principles were made laws. Unfortunately, they were not well translated by the "literate fools" and hence so many problems.
    The whole point of Sartre was taken wrong by many to commit suicides. People never had their so called special meaning of their lives. They wished and always hoped. On exposure to existentialist thoughts their hopes turned into despair and they commited suicide.
    Meaning of your life is what you make of it. Not what others make of it.
    Murder is wrong, on individual as well as at species level. Suicide, its upto you Although I am totally against the thoughts. But have to admit that the thoughts have come to my mind many times. I guess its the strength thats get you going. but for how long...
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

  6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Poster
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    176
    There&#39;s alot in life&#39;s meaning&#39;s...I have Kid&#39;s, that&#39;s the best part of my life, I wonder how there life would be affected if, I went and shot my neighbour, or if they found me hangin in the garage? Thoughts are exactely that, the subconcious wandering into unfamiliar territory. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem How about travelling the World, your first kiss, the first car you owned, going to the cottage.....did&#39;nt any of these, and many other event&#39;s have some meaning?? Maybe your to young wright now to understand that life, indeed, has its up&#39;s and down&#39;s. But could you imagine if you were terminally ill, I don&#39;t think you would be asking this question, I think you would be trying to relish every last moment...

    Cheers,
    Tim B)

  7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Points well made protak. This is exactly what I meant to say. Meaning of your life is what you make of it
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

  8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Poster
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    176
    Originally posted by I.am@19 November 2003 - 17:44
    Points well made protak. This is exactly what I meant to say. Meaning of your life is what you make of it
    Thank&#39;s I.am&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Just trying to clarify some issues.....
    Cheers,
    Tim

  9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Originally posted by protak@19 November 2003 - 21:27
    There&#39;s alot in life&#39;s meaning&#39;s...I have Kid&#39;s, that&#39;s the best part of my life, I wonder how there life would be affected if, I went and shot my neighbour, or if they found me hangin in the garage? Thoughts are exactely that, the subconcious wandering into unfamiliar territory. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem How about travelling the World, your first kiss, the first car you owned, going to the cottage.....did&#39;nt any of these, and many other event&#39;s have some meaning?? Maybe your to young wright now to understand that life, indeed, has its up&#39;s and down&#39;s. But could you imagine if you were terminally ill, I don&#39;t think you would be asking this question, I think you would be trying to relish every last moment...

    Cheers,
    Tim B)
    This is a great post. Life can be harsh, but is still precious.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

  10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    I don&#39;t think there is a "point", but you DO have to fill in the time before you die somehow, so try to cram as much stuff as possible.

    Start by getting drunk with some mates and having a good time.


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •