Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Computer shuts down automatically while watching video files

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    I think the strongest suspect is your PSU, which of course will not show up on any of these tests.
    I agree the PSU is the most likely suspect but I'd say the hard drive is number two.

Just recently I was getting random blue screens and shutdowns as my drive decided to crap out.
    Run a disk check and see what happens.

Also many apps (like Everest or SIW) will log voltages...you could run them and hit your vid card and CPU with something intensive and see if the voltages are stable.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    With hard drive problems I've had the system just lock up completely. You have a decent enough PSU by the way, however I have had a power surge take out one of my Corsairs during a lightning storm (popped capacitors and goo was all over the place). I have since invested in a better UPS.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    Quote Originally Posted by naek View Post
    Well from my experience it is a hardware problem in combination with a bad device driver. If this happens only when watching videos but not when playing some demanding games though it bring it closer to a driver/software problem.
    What would I try:
    - check that memory is working on the right voltage(some biso fail reading the right voltage and memory runs undervolted which could bring to this kind of BSOD). It is deffinetely a BSOD in combination with some settings in windows to not show BSOD and bios to remain power off I would say.
    - try to update the latest drivers for chipset and video. Maybe you should search for you video card maybe there are some bugs and some versions have issues.
    - I would say 99% that it is not a psu or codecs issue.
    What color are the trees on your planet? 'It is deffinetely a BSOD in combination with some settings in windows to not show BSOD and bios to remain power off I would say.' Really? That is an idiotic answer. The system doesn't go unstable it shuts down. a BSOD is an attempt to dump a memory error into a temp file for review, not a power down.
    If you read through the whole thread instead of leaping in with half cocked theory you would realise that the operating system is a fresh install. If there was a memory error it would have shown up during the decompression of the Windows files, the Windows install would have failed.
    This is a hardware fault on 3-4 year old hardware, it suddenly powers down completely. The obvious culprits are thermal overload on the CPU or GPU, the northbridge (unlikely) or the PSU.

To the OP your CPU is a DualCore Socket 939 . The thermal threshhold is 65degrees C
    Your Video Card is an NVidia 8800 series. These run very hot threshhold is around 75 degrees C

The fan speeds and temps from your system utility are all well within the normal ranges one would expect.

Install speedfan as well to see this will give additional information for each individual chip/fan.

I think the strongest suspect is your PSU, which of course will not show up on any of these tests.
    Green.
    On the other question I made a reasonable assumption that "If this happens only when watching videos but not when playing some demanding games though".

Off-topic:
    watch your language sir, if in your city it's ok replying "idiotic" to unknown people it doesn't mean that it's generally ok. The noob you replied to was a driver developer once, and it may know things you may not know.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by naek View Post

What color are the trees on your planet? 'It is deffinetely a BSOD in combination with some settings in windows to not show BSOD and bios to remain power off I would say.' Really? That is an idiotic answer. The system doesn't go unstable it shuts down. a BSOD is an attempt to dump a memory error into a temp file for review, not a power down.
    If you read through the whole thread instead of leaping in with half cocked theory you would realise that the operating system is a fresh install. If there was a memory error it would have shown up during the decompression of the Windows files, the Windows install would have failed.
    This is a hardware fault on 3-4 year old hardware, it suddenly powers down completely. The obvious culprits are thermal overload on the CPU or GPU, the northbridge (unlikely) or the PSU.

To the OP your CPU is a DualCore Socket 939 . The thermal threshhold is 65degrees C
    Your Video Card is an NVidia 8800 series. These run very hot threshhold is around 75 degrees C

The fan speeds and temps from your system utility are all well within the normal ranges one would expect.

Install speedfan as well to see this will give additional information for each individual chip/fan.

Green.
    On the other question I made a reasonable assumption that "If this happens only when watching videos but not when playing some demanding games though".

Off-topic:
    watch your language sir, if in your city it's ok replying "idiotic" to unknown people it doesn't mean that it's generally ok. The noob you replied to was a driver developer once, and it may know things you may not know.
    Off-Off-topic: I don't know how else to couch your reply, would moronic be a suitable substitute? You did not read the whole thread through before coming in with an answer that did not fit with the problem that was being defined, If you had read it through you would have realised that your reply did not fit the problem. I see this all the time and the fact that you are not a teenager with an attention deficit disorder, means there is even less of an excuse.

While not a driver developer, I was an I.T. Manager/ Network Technician for some large companies here in my country for a quite a few years, so I wouldn't consider this a hobby.....

Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    I agree the PSU is the most likely suspect but I'd say the hard drive is number two.

Just recently I was getting random blue screens and shutdowns as my drive decided to crap out.

Also many apps (like Everest or SIW) will log voltages...you could run them and hit your vid card and CPU with something intensive and see if the voltages are stable.
    Well that's the frustrating part about doing this from afar through a forum, even with a telephone call you can ask the client to do things and hear the machine in the background, with this it's just relying on what the poster is reporting to you which is a bit frustrating.
    Last edited by Artemis; 06-29-2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    sory for mess.
    @Artemis sorry man, I didn't know this is so important for you. Peace!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post

What program would you recommend for doing the disk check? Ever since I bought this hard drive, it's been making an like a chirp sound from time to time. Not sure what that's all about, it was an OEM from ncix.com

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    Hi there! you can try http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/ In the utility section you can download a diagnose tool. There is also this one http://www.dtidata.com/windowssurfacescanner/. Both are free, you have other paid soft like http://www.oo-software.com that is very good also. Hope it helps

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    bijoy's Avatar secret lover BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by S!X View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bijoy View Post
    ^^ Well, in that case exact model number of the PSU will be of great help.
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16817139001

Comp specs are in the first post.
    Well, in that case, this PSU would not be (most likely) the culprit. So, I can short the reason down to two components:
    1. HDD, whose clusters are getting bad, or,
    2. Motherboard's VRM is starting to have issues, which causes the shutdown after running for a random period of time.
    Teh n00b.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by bijoy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by S!X View Post
    Well, in that case, this PSU would not be (most likely) the culprit. So, I can short the reason down to two components:
    1. HDD, whose clusters are getting bad, or,
    2. Motherboard's VRM is starting to have issues, which causes the shutdown after running for a random period of time.
    Why? are corsair psu's infallible in your esteemed opinion?

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    So there's another issue now. If the comp isn't shutting off at random, when I try to watch a video my monitor will just go into sleep mode... but I can hear it playing still. What the hell is going on here?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast