Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best TV Shows That Got Canceled II

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman View Post

Huh?

John Doe ripped off notadamnthing. I mean if "guy doesn't know his past or who he is" is a rip-off then your qualifications for rip-offs are ultra low.

Bourne was an assassin/soldier.
    John Doe was some guy with a weird maark that happened to know everything.

I mean if you wanna reach, Bourne is found floating in the water. Doe wakes up buck naked on an island. Duhhhh...alrighty then....rip-off?

John Doe and Firefly were rare scifi shows in primetime. Not many do well. Many are quality tho'. The problem is reality TV was ramping up then.

Since reality TV has been in full swing, we've had (in primetime network TV):

Fringe (one more season which'll make 5,has been on a Friday timeslot) MMK
    Supernatural (I'm including scifi with the supernatural, going on season 8, has been on a Friday timeslot) WIN
    Heroes (4 seasons) MMK
    Firefly (1 season, had a movie) FAIL
    John Doe (1 season) FAIL
    Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicles (1.5 seasons) FAIL
    Flash Forward (1 season, great show) FAIL
    Threshold (half season) FAIL
    Terra Nova (half season) FAIL
    The Listener (half season in US) FAIL (still running elsewhere up to season 3)
    and many more failures.

Scifi on primetime network TV has an uphill battle. It has to draw the casual viewer and can't depend on scifi buffs like me. I was actually mad Threshold got canceled even tho' I couldn't recommend it to others. I see why it was canceled. It was very dark.
    I hope you are not an idiot in real life and in fact only play one on the internet.

Bourne:Mysterious 30ish stranger with near super human abilities washes up on boat with no recollection of past finds himself pursued by shadowy agency.Premiered Summer 2002.
    John Doe:Mysterious 30ish stranger with near super human abilities washes up on shore with no recollection of past finds himself pursued by shadowy agency.Premiered Fall 2002.
    Other films/TV shows similar to that in the long history of films/TV :0

God what was I thinking.
    Respect my lack of authority.

2. Movies & TV   -   #22
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    I watched John Doe, but I can barely remember it. I know Michael's brother from Prison Break was the lead and that I liked it. But I also remember it feeling a little dated. Perhaps it was and I downloaded it several years after it was made, idk.
    I don't understand how you could possibly be watching all the same stuff as me as I obviously have good taste and you don't.

Anyway John Doe was a great premise that lacked anything to really follow it up.
    Probably should have known it was going to be a rough ride when coming out so soon after The Bourne Identity the producers thought it was still a good idea to blatantly rip-off so many key points .
    Ah well now I remember it and I also, obviously, being male, liked the Bourne films, too.
    I'm pretty sure I watched it in 2009 so that explains why I found it dated if it came out shortly after the Bourne films.

The answer to how I watch all the same stuff is that I've read all your past posts and decided to DL the stuff as you mention because I want to fit in and you seem internet scary.

===

Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Well it's three for me because I liked Terminator, as well. It was the first show I watched in HD when I got it set up, and the visual experience struck me as being really rather good.
    I may have got overly attached to it due to that.

Wow really? That was only about 4 years ago. How long has GB had HD? I remember coming on here and people (not you) ragging on HD saying there wasn't much difference. I remarked that they probably don't have it.

Now HD is ubiquitous and I bet those same people wouldn't go back to SD.

Yeah I remember that, mostly because it was a recurring argument that happened every other day for a year.
    It was mainly Cheese you were arguing with - and he didn't own a tv. Maybe he still doesn't. Altho' he has got a daughter now and we all know how important daytime tv is for making kids stfu.

As soon as I got the correct codecs and my PC hooked up to the big telly, I became an instant HD snob like wot you are
    Last edited by manker; 06-18-2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: this double post thing sucks bawls. No wonder I only like the lounge
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Movies & TV   -   #23
    ckrit's Avatar Flagpole
    HD is p pointless if your screen is below, like, 40". And even above that, it doesn't do that much difference for a few more inches, IMO. True story.

As for shows that shouldn't have gotten cancelled, I'm gonna be a bit controversial here and say that The River should have gotten at least one more season (assuming netflix doesn't save it).
    Last edited by ckrit; 06-18-2012 at 03:21 PM.
    ckrit d<rit c|<rit

Mi signotaur > urs.

4. Movies & TV   -   #24
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I've got a trained eye, now, and can spot a SD flick before I realise which show I'm watching.
    You can't tell me I've downloaded five times the amount of data I actually needed to for the past four years.

And even if you did, I wouldn't listen as it's bunk.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

5. Movies & TV   -   #25
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Watevar. Get a proper screen and it'll totally be worth it

6. Movies & TV   -   #26
    manker's Avatar effendi
    You only got involved in this thread so either me or you would mention your projector.
    And, like, I don't even want one. It's not even as if it's anything good like what it would be if you had TiVo or an upscaler.

7. Movies & TV   -   #27
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Heroes (4 seasons) MMK
    Attachment 116284
    No I loved Firefly. I'm talking about it's failure commercially.

Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post

Huh?

John Doe ripped off notadamnthing. I mean if "guy doesn't know his past or who he is" is a rip-off then your qualifications for rip-offs are ultra low.

Bourne was an assassin/soldier.
    John Doe was some guy with a weird maark that happened to know everything.

I mean if you wanna reach, Bourne is found floating in the water. Doe wakes up buck naked on an island. Duhhhh...alrighty then....rip-off?

John Doe and Firefly were rare scifi shows in primetime. Not many do well. Many are quality tho'. The problem is reality TV was ramping up then.

Since reality TV has been in full swing, we've had (in primetime network TV):

Fringe (one more season which'll make 5,has been on a Friday timeslot) MMK
    Supernatural (I'm including scifi with the supernatural, going on season 8, has been on a Friday timeslot) WIN
    Heroes (4 seasons) MMK
    John Doe (1 season) FAIL
    Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicles (1.5 seasons) FAIL
    Flash Forward (1 season, great show) FAIL
    Threshold (half season) FAIL
    Terra Nova (half season) FAIL
    The Listener (half season in US) FAIL (still running elsewhere up to season 3)
    and many more failures.

Scifi on primetime network TV has an uphill battle. It has to draw the casual viewer and can't depend on scifi buffs like me. I was actually mad Threshold got canceled even tho' I couldn't recommend it to others. I see why it was canceled. It was very dark.
    I hope you are not an idiot in real life and in fact only play one on the internet.

Bourne:Mysterious 30ish stranger washes up on boat with no recollection of past finds himself pursued by shadowy agency.Premiered Summer 2002.
    John Doe:Mysterious 30ish stranger with near super human abilities washes up on shore with no recollection of past finds himself pursued by shadowy agency.Premiered Fall 2002.
    Other films/TV shows similar to that in the long history of films/TV :0

God what was I thinking.
    Probably how much you miss your boyfriend......

Learn the diff between a similarity and a rip-off.

One, Bourne wasn't near super human. He was simply a kickass spy/assassin. John Doe was super human. He knew "everything"
    Two, John Doe didn't wash up on shore
    Three, well, there was 3 months in-between the release of Bourne and John Doe. Time to rip-off a movie?

All you saw was stranger with amnesia = rip-off.

Dumb. The stories are completely different. Similarity does not necessarily = rip-off.
    Last edited by Busyman; 06-18-2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. Movies & TV   -   #28
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    No I loved Firefly. I'm talking about it's failure commercially.
    Too late, I can't take it back now. You'll just have to live with it.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

9. Movies & TV   -   #29
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    You only got involved in this thread so either me or you would mention your projector.
    And, like, I don't even want one.

10. Movies & TV   -   #30
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata

Learn the diff between a similarity and a rip-off.

One, Bourne wasn't near super human. He was simply a kickass spy/assassin. John Doe was super human. He knew "everything"
    Two, John Doe didn't wash up on shore
    Three, well, there was 3 months in-between the release of Bourne and John Doe. Time to rip-off a movie?

All you saw was stranger with amnesia = rip-off.

Dumb. The stories are completely different. Similarity does not necessarily = rip-off.
    And you have a silly habit of taking everything absolutely literally.
    Anyway if you look I said key points not movie and nothing you have said dissuades me from that .

OK so John Doe didn't "wash ashore " he only speculates that he may have washed ashore and before that he doesn't fall into the water and get picked up suffering from amnesia by a fishing boat crewed by a bunch of people who aren't English speaking .
    And then he doesn't proceed to display abilities "far in excess" of a normal person.

No wait yes he does.

Of course John Doe's premise predates the release of The Bourne Identity but aspects could easily have been revised in 3 months to mimic it.
    Coincidences in Hollywood being as rare as ethics.

Btw I'm going to give you credit for not being stupid and only egotistical to the point of not being able to admit that you may be wrong.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 06-18-2012 at 10:13 PM.
    Respect my lack of authority.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast