Thread: Webcam

CrumbCat's Avatar Cachaça or Cachaça
    I've been asked to find out about setting up webcam or something similar. The hope is to be able to communicate with my family overseas.

1. Has anyone done this successfully? If so, please give me a brief description of your setup.

2. Does anyone have any recommendations for the Hardware (inexpensive is desirable) / Software?

All help is appreciated.

CrumbCat

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    1. you can talk overseas with msn messenger and yahoo messenger, both have a webcam option.

2.Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 - appx 99.99 CDN, you can get ones that r cheaper but this one gives the best image.

heres a cheaper 1.

Logitech - QuickCam Messenger - appx 49.99 CDN

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    CrumbCat's Avatar Cachaça or Cachaça
    Thanks, TheCanuk.

I was not aware that msn messenger and yahoo messenger had that option. I'll look into that.

I thought that Logitech may be a good choice, but was waiting for confirmation from someone here who may have used them before.

Again, thanks.

-Anyone else have any input on the subject?

Thanks,

CrumbCat

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    o btw, u need msn messneger 6-6.1 2 use this feature

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    I've video conferenced using MSN messenger. It works nicely. You can share/trade files and there is also a "whiteboard" feature. It's like sharing a chalkboard with the person you're chatting with.

BTW. While webcams are cheap, look into getting one that has a CCD sensor(like a camcorder) instead of a CMOS image sensor(way more common). The image quality difference is quite noticeable.
    This extra research is well worth it and CCD cameras can be had for less than $100 US.

Good luck.