Thread: Will This Work?

Poster
    ets say I have a games console... Xbox for instance, but seeing as this is going to be working for Dreamcast, lets say its a Dreamcast.

Right... I have a TV with only an RF Port, nothing for RCA Cables to go into... But I have a VCR With AV (RCA) in, AV out, RF in and RF out.

When I've tried pluging the RCA Cables from the Dreamcast into the RCA-In of the VCR and then using a cable going from the RF-Out of the VCR to the RF-In of the TV, I don't get any picture or sound... Can things only work when it's RF-Out from one thing to RF in of another, or AV-Out from one thing to AV-in of another.

I need to get a color modification chip for my Dreamcast, because it's an NTSC system and I want to play it on a PAL TV, so there is bad sound and the picture comes out in black and white. These guys that own this Console Games store I'm taking it to be modded say I'll have to use AV with the DC after it's been modded as RF wont work, but they say it will work if I have the AV from the Dreamcast going to AV of the VCR and the RF-Out of the VCR going to RF of the TV, they say it will only for the Dreamcast... Is it possible that it will work, or are they lying to me?

I've had good experience with them, after I got my Xbox mod-chipped and my best friend swears by them...

So... What do you think? Will this setup work?

Dreamcast (Color Modified) AV-Out ------> VCR, AV-IN ------> VCR, RF-OUT ---------> TV, RF-IN

When I play games normally, I just have the RF Cable from the Console going into the RF-IN of the TV
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    sounds like u need a RF Adapter , just a hunch.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    That should work fine. The VCR simply acts as an RF adapter. Nothing new there. I've recommended this countless times to my customers for connecting a DVD player to a TV that doesn't have A/V inputs. If you have the option to select which channel to modulate on(channel 3 or 4 here in the U.S.), pick one that isn't being used in your city. You will avoid possible interference by doing that.
    Converting a PAL source to NTSC may or may not work how you've described. I suppose if the guys modding it for you have done it before, it will.

Good luck.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    YES IM RIGHT!!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by TheCanuk@19 November 2003 - 17:12
    sounds like u need a RF Adapter , just a hunch.
    An RF Modulator
    AOL 9.0 Now with top speed sarcasm that is 5x funnier than normal
    dial up sarcasm complete with AOL instant stalker.

AOL 9.0 with top speed and AOL instant stalker...more expensive than saffron but worth it!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Its strange that you are not getting any video or sound.

Do video tapes work ?? if so have you changing the channel on the VCR to AV ??

IF your not getting any picture from a video tape too, maybe you havent tuned the video properly.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    muchspl2