Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only One Xp User Account Is Allowed To

I have seen similar questions posted, but none were taken to conclusion.

I'm running XP. There are 3 user accounts. All three users are set to administrator. After a clean install of klitekpp243e.exe, the user that installed can use K++ without any problems. Both of the other 2 users receive the error message "Can't find Kazza lite registry keys".

I have tried full clean reinstalls after deleteing registry entries and all folders.

I have tried running C:\Program Files\Kazaa Lite K++\defuserset.exe and KLConfigWizard.exe

I have tried adding the other user to the registry permission list with full control and with "this key only" and with "this key and subkeys". I tried adding a user "everyone".

I have tried installing as the other user with the error message that the registry entry already exists. If I choose "delete registry entries" on install, as the second user, I get an error that I'm unable to delete or overwrite or something. I am also not allowed, as the other user, to delete the offendng registry entries prior to install.

I have seen this problem on the board in 2 formats which are actually the same problem, in that:

"C:\Program Files\Kazaa Lite K++\klrun.exe" returns "Can't find Kazza lite registry keys"

and

"C:\Program Files\Kazaa Lite K++\kpp.exe" returns "The file you want to load (on the command line or in the registry string key "HKey_Local_Machine\software\k++\applicationname" or in "Hkey_Current_User\software\k++\applicationname") does not exist or is not a file"

With every tweak and reinstall, the user that installed can use K++ without any problems.

Please help!

Walter

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    I have xp with multiple user accounts , but have not had these problems. I'm not sure what caused it for you. Some things you might check.

the other 2 users receive the error message "Can't find Kazza lite registry keys".
    sign on as the other user, check the keys in the registry HKCU\Software\K++ and HKCU\Software\Kazaa. Are they present?

I have tried running C:\Program Files\Kazaa Lite K++\defuserset.exe and KLConfigWizard.exe
    Did you sign on as the other user, then run them?

I have tried installing as the other user with the error message that the registry entry already exists. If I choose "delete registry entries" on install, as the second user, I get an error that I'm unable to delete or overwrite or something. I am also not allowed, as the other user, to delete the offendng registry entries prior to install.
    Sounds like permissions are messed up at the registry keys. Check at HKCU,while signed on as the other user, the K++ and Kazaa keys should be full control.

A previous version of k-lite did not write keys for other user accounts. If keys are missing when you check the other accounts, you can try that fix. Sign on your account, go to the key they are missing, export it as a .reg file, sign off. Sign on the other account, go to the .reg file and double click to add to their registry.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    I just downloaded and extensively used the jv16 reg tool and cleaned out all Kazaa scraps, then reinstalled. Same problem. Then I read your reply.

sign on as the other user, check the keys in the registry HKCU\Software\K++ and HKCU\Software\Kazaa. Are they present?
    Yes.

Did you sign on as the other user, then run them?
    Previously, yes. This time, yes.

Sounds like permissions are messed up at the registry keys. Check at HKCU,while signed on as the other user, the K++ and Kazaa keys should be full control.
    HKCU is Full Control, inherited from Current user, apply to this key and subkeys, inherit from parent is checked, replace permissions is not checked.

Sign on your account, go to the key they are missing, export it as a .reg file, sign off. Sign on the other account, go to the .reg file and double click to add to their registry.
    I tried that last time too. This time I noticed a difference in the HKCU entries in the working and non working users. There were differences in both the Kazaa and K++ HKCU keys. I imported both keys and it still doesn't work. I'm going to reboot.

Thanks for the quick reply. BRB.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Ahhh, it still doesn't work. The registry entries are identicle.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    I just found the problem and it makes sense. While the Permissions on the HKCU were full control, the HKLM returned "you can't veiw, you may edit". I logged in as the installer and added the user Administrators to the permissions list on both HKLM folders. It now works for everybody.

Thanks for stirring my brain.

Walter

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    I'm glad you tracked it down. Now, I'm wondering how that happened to begin with. When I install, admin. has full control of all keys in HKLM.

Have you checked permissions at HKLM\Software?

At HKLM\Software I see:
    Administrators: Full Control
    Creator Owner: Special permissions
    My User ID: Special permissions
    System: Full Control
    Users : Read

Permissions for this item:
    Administrators: Applied to this key and subkey
    Creator Owner: Applied to subkeys only

Current Owner of this item "Administrators"

Jg427

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    I know how it happend, when you first install k++ you can choose the option
    Set folder/registry permissions for limited users This is propably what
    happend

(Forgive my bad english)

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Now, I'm wondering how that happened to begin with.
    Me too. While it was not working, with User/installer/no-prob logged in, the listed owner of HKLM/Kazaa was User/installer/no-prob and User/Administrators was not listed at all. With User/non-installer/probs logged in, the HKLM/Kazaa subkeys are not visible and you can edit permissions but not view. By logging in as User/non-installer/probs, and editing the permissions and giving User/non-installer/probs full control of HKLM/Kazaa, you effectively have control of a key that does not have any subkeys. This is why both error messages make sense. Logging in as User/installer/no-prob, and adding Administrators with full control, User/non-installer/probs now as access to the subkeys as an Administrator, and it works. Now, with it working, when logged in as User/non-installer the owner is User/installer. So I suppose the original problem was that on my install Administrators were not given permissions to HKLM. When you installed Administrators were given permissions to HKLM.

What I find most interesting was that all replies to posters focused on HKCU, while the real problem was HKLM.

As for Bogaaa's suggestion, I only chose Set folder/registry permissions for limited users after reading this board. On original install I did not choose this option because I mistakenly thought it meant it would limit the number of users, and I wanted everyone to use it.

It's as though I checked a box that said "Don't give administrators permission, hide subkeys from other users, and if another user gives himself permission, don't allow him to install or access subkeys until the original installer gives permission".

My system has 3 Administrators and no limited users. Jg427, when you installed, Admin had full control, but do you have any limited users? Or is every user an Admininistrator?

Walter

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster

So I suppose the original problem was that on my install Administrators were not given permissions to HKLM. When you installed Administrators were given permissions to HKLM.
    Yes, this leads to the following:

The key I was refering to earlier was not the Kazaa or K++ one, but above it at HKLM\Software. Highlight it at "software" and check permissions there. If administrators have full control there, they should inherit it to subkeys such as HKLM\Software\Kazaa or K++. The creator owner should be administrator. Permissions for this item, Administrators: apply to this key and subkeys.

The "set registry keys for limited users" option creates the user "everyone" in the registry and gives them "special permissions" which includes read\write. This allows limited users to access the db folder and write to the registry. This is not related to your situation.

edit:
    My system has 3 Administrators and no limited users. Jg427, when you installed, Admin had full control, but do you have any limited users? Or is every user an Admininistrator?
    I have two administrators and no limited users. I have also installed with a limited user to test rc versions, but have not had your problem before.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Interesting. I never even considered that the HKLM\Software "Folder" itself has permissions. On mine, while the only listed Group or user name is Everyone, with full control. A click on advanced shows the Administrators as the owner, but the permissions tab is blank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast