Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If there is no God, is there such a thing as evil?

Quote Originally Posted by theblake View Post
    This is just me thinking out loud here, but I think even if there is no God, there still is evil and to a lesser extent, good.
    If there is no God, what is the logical basis for defining what is good & evil?
    There is no 'evil'. There is really really bad people. With no conscience. Called psychopaths. If they're not CEO's then they're cutting up people for snacks. Or maybe both. And it's kinda funny you looking for a 'logical basis' when talkin' 'bout the supernatural.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by 999969999 View Post
    This is just me thinking out loud here, but I think even if there is no God, there still is evil and to a lesser extent, good.

I'm going to define evil as the forces of entropy, chaos, disease, death, and decay. And "good" as any effort to thwart them.
    Entropy, chaos, disease, death and decay are no more 'evil' than a singularity. AAMOF there is no such thing as 'evil'. Unless you're religious. Then anything you can imagine is possible.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by sci View Post
    AAMOF there is no such thing as 'evil'. Unless you're religious.
    No I'm pretty certain the usage of unnecessary and wank acronyms is evil.
    Respect my lack of authority.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by theblake View Post

There is no 'evil'. There is really really bad people. With no conscience. Called psychopaths. If they're not CEO's then they're cutting up people for snacks. Or maybe both. And it's kinda funny you looking for a 'logical basis' when talkin' 'bout the supernatural.
    I'm a psychopath. Would you say I'm a really really bad person?
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15

I though Hume and/or Kant had this one all sewn up a couple hundred years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Nah. You seem pretty cogent. If you aren't joking I bet it took a few years after realizing you were different to cultivate your mask and mimic proper responses. There seems to be an inherent nobility in self-actualization like that.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19

You may be a psychopath, but you are OUR psychopath. Fuck the rest. In fact, kill sci ,macky -UGLY.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    teflon05's Avatar Pessimistic Optimist BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post

You may be a psychopath, but you are OUR psychopath. Fuck the rest. In fact, kill sci ,macky -UGLY.
    He could be the FST version of Dexter. He's already got a pretty good storyline. Now all he needs is some catchy theme music.
    No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. — P.J. O'Rourke

Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense. — Robert A. Heinlein (1907-1988)

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Speedo's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    It depends on something we will likely never know. Does anything, including our existence, matter? If no then there is no evil. If yes then there must be some force deciding what is what. Eighter way evil/good is just philosophical labels describing reactions and have no inherent property in any thing or action. It's a human construct and proves to me our poor primal thinking in consepts. The universe don't give a flying monkey fuck.
    Last edited by Speedo; 08-21-2014 at 06:57 PM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Gribley's Avatar On a hate list
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    The universe don't give a flying monkey fuck.
    Well said, you make what you can from the limited time you have.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    The universe don't give a flying monkey fuck.
    Well said, you make what you can from the limited time you have.
    That's sort of irreverent, considering Speedo is dead having been struck by lightning shortly after posting that.
    Respect my lack of authority.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast