Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the fastest internet speed???

In my country 500mb

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchboxzt View Post
    Google Fiber in Kansas City, 1gbps straight to internet backbone for $79 a month.
    Why exactly did they start this off in Kansas City?

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #23
    I think Google realized they'd be facilitated with right-of-way, permits, all the boring administrative shit regarding laying the fiber. Streamlined thebureacracy etc. I know in Provo, UT all they had to do was show up as the infrastructure was already in place.

Funny how in Austin TWC doubled their offerings to 300Mbps when Google came to town.
    Last edited by piercerseth; 03-09-2014 at 03:01 AM. Reason: derp spelling

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #24
    Austin, TX, is probably (for the US) a VERY interesting place for broadband. Reason is that, since the early 1980's, there have been at least 2 (and in a lot of areas of town 3 or more) cablecos competing HEAD TO HEAD. I was an adviser to the city cable board between 1982 to 1985.

Reason? Well, the 'original' cabletv company 'back in the day' was like most around the country during that period of time; almost a 'mom and pop' operation. Austin only had one (count 'em ONE) tv station at the time (CBS/channel 7) and had to pull in the other network and independent channels out of San Antonio. Again, as was typical at the time, 12 channel system.

But in the northwest neighborhoods, a second cableco, which was a kind of 'community' effort mostly made up from the large apartment complexes and such, built a system. Remember (!), TVRO (television Receive Only) dishes (c-band) for commercial use ran around $10-20K each, and large dishes capable of multiple reception from multiple satellites (although there were only 3-4 or so at the time) and multiple transponders/channels on each (12-24) were in the $50K+ region. Which is why the complex owners got together and pooled resources.. Add to that, the other cableco (Austin Cable) decided not to 'expand' into that area.

It stayed that way for a few years. I moved into a home that bordered right between the two in that northwest area, and was one of the first streets that 'had a choice' as to providers (1984). But I had already put up my own 5m dish (!).

But over the years, each company expanded their service, and since Austin Power is a muni power company and owned all the poles in the city, they sold pole 'space' to all comers. Especially when they got suckered into the HP&L (Houston Power and Light) South Texas Nuk project (massive cost overruns) they needed the money.

So for a long time before the telcos and the big cablecos swallowed up anything, there were huge areas that had thriving competition. Then the telco (AT&T) got involved (uverse) and all of a sudden, folks had 3 choices. (I can't remember which large multi-state cableco took over which cable operation, I moved out of Austin in the mid 80's amd didn't pay much attention to what happened).

So now, with Goggle fiber, possibly a large chunk of town will have 4 choices for internet/tv/phone/whatever.

I'm sure the executives of all the current 'incumbent' operators are having a cow about right now.
    Last edited by Beck38; 03-09-2014 at 03:06 PM.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #25
    pokitisme's Avatar Poster
    well im in kc and ide have to say just cause they say 1gbps doesnt mean ur comp can handle it--i do not have gf but fro wht i understand the speeds only get faster determining how many people in ur area have it as well---its kinda like p2p but with internet speeds and the fact its p2p based doesnt enthuse me to much----lets say ur the only person around that can afford it well from what im told then ur getting like 300 mbs thats all good but its not the stated 1+gbs-and as i said what is ur write speed to hd and could ur comp actually handle downloading 5 dvd 5 movies that fast---i dont think so.on my comp newleecher has to hang a bit if i download lets say 50'000 1mb pdf's in a row due to write speeds of the hd.
    favorite quotes made my me

if you want to you can but if you dont you wont

most possibly yes but maybe no

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #26
    New York, Delaware and New Jersey have the fastest broadband download speeds in the U.S.

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by DngrMs View Post
    I have 120Mb/s at home and that's plenty fast enough for my needs. In real terms it's closer to 100Mb/s than 120.

Realistically the only things that saturate it are CDN's, Usenet, IRC transfers (host dependent) and highly available torrents. Even commercial streaming services use less than 1/3 of the available bandwidth (and often much less ).

My NSP is pretty good with speed, I have a 100Mb/s unlimited account and normally suck stuff down at between 8.5 and 9.5 megabytes a second... my HDTV gets here pretty quick...

Based on the services I have access to, and the bandwidth their hosts have available, I can't imagine a real world benefit of more than about 100Mb/s at the moment. I think 30Mb/s is probably a great target for home use as even that is pretty damn quick.

And I pay less than ~US$40 a month for all that... including the NSP...
    Agree with you. I have same speeds and only see it go to ~120Mb/s on Usenet.

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #28
    120 mb/s

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #29
    1.5mb/s in aus

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #30
    hoangminh
    i think more than 120Mb/s

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast