Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20MB/s speed which newsgroup should i buy?

hey yall! Im using tweaknews free trial and it is nowhere near 20mb/s.... it fluctuates around 15mb/s. Anyone have any good recommendations of a newsgroup carrier that is solid on 20MB/s speeds? Thanks guys!

update... I just started trial for supernews and its hitting 23MB/s.... im liking this, on 30 connections... Hows supernews with takedowns? Is there another provider yall like for price and 20mb/s speed? Oh yea, supernews is like 12 a month, unlimited gb and speed I think.

thanks
    Last edited by ynotrhyme; 05-14-2013 at 06:47 PM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Im on 1gbit in sweden and pull around 50-90MB/s from newshosting, 40-60MB/s from supernews and astraweb was like 25-40MB/s. So I all of those should work for you depending on your routing. I only use newshosting now.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    thanks for the info!

didn't newshosting have problems with takedowns? I remember having it back in the days and takedowns hit it kinda hard. how much u pay for newshosting?

hows ur experience with supernews and takedowns if any?

update... im also noticing on supernews that when the download gets near the end when there is around 15 files left the speed gets horrible. Like around 3-6 mb/s... is this a problem with all servers? Is there a server that is 20mb/s even when there is a only a few files left to the download?
    Last edited by ynotrhyme; 05-14-2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    DngrMs's Avatar Super Rodent
    You (seem to) keep interchanging megabits per second (Mb/s) and megabytes per second (MB/s) - since it makes such a big difference and territoriality either could be valid, which do you mean?

If you're downloading at 23 megaBYTES per second then you're downstream connection is like 250 megaBITS per second which isn't very typical for a consumer connection.

I have a 120Mb/s (bits) connection and my provider will saturate that with 12 connections which gives me just over 10MB/s (bytes) effective download.

If you really do have a 250mb/s connection you may need to use two providers in parallel to keep it maxed, I wasn't aware of any that offered this type of speed (but haven't researched particularly hard). In fact Supernews say "over 100mb/s" which is unlikely to mean "250mb/s".

So, back to my questions - bits or bytes? If you're talking "bits" then almost any provider will meet your expectations.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    I'm curious about your general location.

I use tweak and have no problem maxing out my 30 Mbps connection, here in Cincinnati.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    I was talking about Megabytes/second, 1000Mbit, and I find the main difference in speed between the providers is the amount of connections allowed. I bought the 9,99 dollar/month account with 50 connections and VPN which is available at some occasions. The VPN-speed is another issue, but I don't expect much there either, 2-3MB/s is max. Takedown wise I believe that pretty much any provider has the problem. I use sickbeard for series and auto-fetch with np. Movies are usually not the problem.

Consumer connections in sweden are usually 100mbit>,
    e.g. cable https://www.comhem.se/comhem/bredban...2/-/index.html
    e.g. Fiber:http://www.bredbandsbolaget.se/bredb...000/index.html

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    DngrMs's Avatar Super Rodent
    Most providers won't allow sufficient connections to saturate a 250mbps link (~28MB/s) - I don't know of any.

As to the OP's question, if he's talking about megabits per second then his expectations are low enough (20mbps) to be satisfied by any provider. "Yes" most providers will give you that easily.

As tasker12 points out 20mbps is quite low in large parts of Europe and Asia.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    I'm curious about your general location.

I use tweak and have no problem maxing out my 30 Mbps connection, here in Cincinnati.
    Puerto Rico, tweak is 8 connections correct on the 20mbps, FvCK, i just noticed im on the trial which is 8 threads 20mbps. im noticing its a solid 20mbps..... which one u on? the fast option? that has more connections? It seems pretty cheap. like 95 for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by DngrMs View Post
    You (seem to) keep interchanging megabits per second (Mb/s) and megabytes per second (MB/s) - since it makes such a big difference and territoriality either could be valid, which do you mean?

If you're downloading at 23 megaBYTES per second then you're downstream connection is like 250 megaBITS per second which isn't very typical for a consumer connection.

I have a 120Mb/s (bits) connection and my provider will saturate that with 12 connections which gives me just over 10MB/s (bytes) effective download.

If you really do have a 250mb/s connection you may need to use two providers in parallel to keep it maxed, I wasn't aware of any that offered this type of speed (but haven't researched particularly hard). In fact Supernews say "over 100mb/s" which is unlikely to mean "250mb/s".

So, back to my questions - bits or bytes? If you're talking "bits" then almost any provider will meet your expectations.
    sorry yes i meant 20mbps

Quote Originally Posted by tasker12 View Post
    I was talking about Megabytes/second, 1000Mbit, and I find the main difference in speed between the providers is the amount of connections allowed. I bought the 9,99 dollar/month account with 50 connections and VPN which is available at some occasions. The VPN-speed is another issue, but I don't expect much there either, 2-3MB/s is max. Takedown wise I believe that pretty much any provider has the problem. I use sickbeard for series and auto-fetch with np. Movies are usually not the problem.

which one is 9.99 month with 50 connections the two links u sent? One is all in swedish, kinda hard to read lol... i can subscribe to these?

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    I could get stuff at 55+Mbyte from Astraweb. But i was using VPS. And it was 'sitting" in the Netherlands so it was real close to AW servers.
    Routing \distance does matter.
    Last edited by Hypatia; 05-15-2013 at 07:58 PM.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by tasker12 View Post

DUH! i thought these were newsgroup subscriptions. HAHHAHAHAHA WOw u guys have lightning fast internet for a beautiful as$ price! Lucky you. Im paying 75$ a month for 20mbps in puerto rico, rape prices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast