Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mandrake Linux Instalation Problem

Poster
    running the MD5 against the downloaded ISO will give you a hash value. If it's not the same as the MD5 you got with the ISO, it's no good, too many errors.
    During install you should have entered a user name. When you start and go into root, you can configure user permissions for that account that don't always need root access.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    Poster
    Look behind you, you may not see me, but I am there
    Originally posted by balamm@28 November 2003 - 15:12
    running the MD5 against the downloaded ISO will give you a hash value. If it's not the same as the MD5 you got with the ISO, it's no good, too many errors.
    During install you should have entered a user name. When you start and go into root, you can configure user permissions for that account that don't always need root access.
    I don't understand a word you said

Well, about the username/password i used, that is the one I use.

=Edit=
    How do I use "MD5" or whatever

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    Poster
    Too late now, I already installed the Linux, and wiped my HD clean, or should I just download the ISO's again and burn them to a CD?

What program should I use to burn an ISO with Mandrake?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    Poster
    I would redownload them. Burn with Nero if you can. I haven't burned in mandrake yet, can't help with that.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    Poster
    Does Nero work with Linux?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    Poster
    I don't think so. Look at E-roast or toast or whatever

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    Poster
    Where can find E-Toast or E-Roast?
    I did a search for it, could not find it. I did a Google and a Download.com search

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    Poster
    It should be installed by default if you chose the right install packages. Somewhere on the start menu.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by ZeroX9@28 November 2003 - 11:56
    Alright, thanks, I will try that

=Edit=
    I did get into root, but my desktop was all red and I still did not have that on my start menu.  There is a way to config I used before, but now it wont work, on my desoptop, there is something called "Welcome"  and there, it has a thing that says I can edit services, but I cannot use it, because a file is missing.

Unable to run the command specified. The file or directory file:/usr/share/applnk-mdk/Configuration/Configure your computer.desktop does not exist.
    I don't know anyother way
    First of all kde desktop sucks. With that version of kde that mandrake installs you will get the red background when you log in with root and some stuff will be disabled. Thats because that version of kde was developed to be a pain in the ass when people logged on the desktop as root. Thats so you wont get used to using it as root and youll log on with a regular user account instead.

Just open up a terminal or command prompt and type in "su" without the quotes and it will ask you for the root password. Then just type in the exact command for control panel or whatever and dont close the terminal window when it starts or it will close the app you launched as root also.

Use gnome instaed of kde or use icewm.

Oh and here is a cd burn software for gnome. Or if you have the gtk or gtk2 installed then you may still be able to compile it without gnome.

http://gnometoaster.rulez.org/

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast