Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer Wont Start Pt 2

_John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Check your hard drive jumpers again, im telling ya.

I had a similar message today when I booted up, but that was after I inseted my backup hard drive to swap files.

Turns out, I had the main Hard Drive set to slave, so it wasnt reading my old one, and wasnt booting off my main one.

Oh, and make sure you dont have the ol floppy disc in.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    yeh could be as simple as jumpers not set correctly or boot order, I had a call out couple of weeks ago where someone had upgraded a pc and the boot order was set to 1 floppy 2 ide1 3 cdrom and there was no ide 1(that would have been the slave if fitted), it should have been ide 0. if there is an option to try other boot devices enable that to for now

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    Originally posted by boyzeee@21 November 2003 - 04:37
    yeh could be as simple as jumpers not set correctly or boot order, I had a call out couple of weeks ago where someone had upgraded a pc and the boot order was set to 1 floppy 2 ide1 3 cdrom and there was no ide 1(that would have been the slave if fitted), it should have been ide 0. if there is an option to try other boot devices enable that to for now
    IDE1 would not be the slave, it would be the primary device on the secondary IDE channel.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    @ Infested Cats: in your BIOS do you have a setting for Boot other device? If you have make sure it's enabled otherwise the puter won't try to boot from the next device in the sequence after failing to boot from the CDROM.
    I always leave my boot sequence as Floppy-CDROM-IDE0 with Boot other devices enabled.
    Won't help you boot the CD but it looks like this is why the boot diskettes aren't working for you.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Originally posted by Smurfette+21 November 2003 - 05:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Smurfette &#064; 21 November 2003 - 05:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-boyzeee@21 November 2003 - 04:37
    IDE1 would not be the slave, it would be the primary device on the secondary IDE channel. [/b][/quote]
    in most cases yes but not all. on the system i worked on the boot order choices were ide 0,1 cdrom 1,2 zip, floppy, network etc, others ive worked on have been ide 0,1,2,3 etc where cdroms were 3 and 4. mine just lists the devices detected and you choose the order ie floppy, ibm deskstar, atapi cdrw etc etc. all bios setups vary.

edit...i will add i have been trying to access the asus site to look at the manual but i think the server is down in tiawan, will try later

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by boyzeee+21 November 2003 - 05:23--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (boyzeee &#064; 21 November 2003 - 05:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Smurfette@21 November 2003 - 05:06
    <!--QuoteBegin-boyzeee
    @21 November 2003 - 04:37

IDE1 would not be the slave, it would be the primary device on the secondary IDE channel.
    in most cases yes but not all. on the system i worked on the boot order choices were ide 0,1 cdrom 1,2 zip, floppy, network etc, others ive worked on have been ide 0,1,2,3 etc where cdroms were 3 and 4. mine just lists the devices detected and you choose the order ie floppy, ibm deskstar, atapi cdrw etc etc. all bios setups vary. [/b][/quote]
    Oh, I&#39;ve never come across that way of referring to them before
    You never stop learnin&#39;.

Edit: UK A7N8X-X detail page HERE, download page HERE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12