Thread: *.exe...what Does It Do ?

I've downloaded project and it's there as a dos exe file...how do I run it?
    I've clicked it, it goes to a dos screen , then nothing...any help please

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    this should really be in software not verifieds but it may be an iso image that has an .exe extension and it wont run, here is the answer i gave the other day if it is an .exe (not a self extracting zip or rar )

"large programs and games etc etc have the extension .exe so they get recognised as software in kazaa and so get placed in software catagory and not an "image" which would end up in "images" and wont run. you need to either change the ext to .iso to do this open the folder containing the file or open my docs then in tool bar click tools>folder options>view and then untick the box where it says hide extensions for known file types and apply, now right click on the file that wont run and rename it changing the last 3 digits to iso or bin or...... or you can open these files with isobuster or winiso and extract the files to a folder and run it from there or burn to disc."

hope this helps you and please use the search feature to see if your problem has been asked and solved before you post.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    thanks for your swift and helpful reply, I'm only new to this so please forgive the wrong location,...I'm learning...!!

all the best!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    no worries welcome to the board tip for you though, do use the search first as i said, you could get a lot of verbal if you post something that gets posted over and over, but we not all grumpy n moody or any other of the seven dwarfes you can name

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    I dont think that its a renamed iso file they normally show a message "not a valid win32 application"

how big is the file?
    and what is it a game or a program?

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    i agree some do, some also briefly open a dos box that shuts immediately, others say not enough memory to run the application(or something like that )usually .exe files are small unless they are self extracting zip or rars but they get a rar or zip icon(if you go winzip or winrar installed ). the small ones usually get whatever program they are as an icon and the big ones that wont run just get the blue box "software" icon. you can normally tell if they will run or not just by looking at what icon it is

edit... also in the title.. if it is "programname.iso.exe" i would say someone has added .exe to get it seen as software.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by boyzeee@21 November 2003 - 16:27
    i agree some do, some also briefly open a dos box that shuts immediately, others say not enough memory to run the application(or something like that )
    sorry then but i have never encountered something else than the above message

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!