Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shrinking Hd

I did a Search Under *.log and this is what i found. Is this type of log file normal or should I treat this as suspect and is being caused by some bits of remaning trojan associaton of some type? Also the date states as being created YESTERDAY..iv'e been having this problem for almost 1 1/2 weeks now.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    no that aint normal, i just ran a search on mine and it found 111 files= 15mb of log .txt files all mostly under 100KB, look through them and see if any are sticking out like a sore thumb, suspect names or programs you not sure of, the biggest file i got is 4mb. something aint right if its any consolation i think you on the right track, looks like a trojan or something nasty writing a huge log file.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    Look around for windows management instrumentation or something similar and see if logging is enabled. Or open that log file and see what program it does belong to. whatever it is, it's logging way too much information. An average log file shouldn't need to get over about 500kb

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    It sounds more like a virus that keeps adding size to a file until you run out of space

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    i looked up the virus you posted earlier w32.mapson.d.worm and this is symantecs response HERE
    looks like quite a nasty, it tries to turn of your av and anti trojan progs. have a read

edit.. W32.HLLW.Logpole heres the other one aswell.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Went looking through the Windows Directory on my C: Drive...I found that Windows Management Insturmentaion thing...there is nothing in the drop down menus that says anything about logging. I guess this configues and controls windows management insturmentation (WMI) and I guess it's a service...Could that possibly be disabled and fix things or could that serioulsy f***up my sysem?..and also tried to open up that particular log using the wmi program..

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    Before seeing this, I was under the impression that WMI was only used in server 2003. I really don't think you need it running unless you're are using it to monitor performance or check your system.

You might want to check google to be sure but I don't think there'd be any harm in disabling it.

Oh, and open that log with notepad and see what attributes it has. It should give some indication of what and why it's monitoring.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    I went into msconfig..under services and unchecked wmi...but that didn't seem to phase that log file..it keeps rebuilding. That Log File is too big to look at using Notepad..what other program could i use to look at the the log file?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Poster
    Command prompt maybe? I'm not sure if you could just enter the location and file name and have it open or??? Can you right click and choose open with command prompt or dos prompt? Do you not get any association other than note pad when you go to properties? It should say what program created it and when.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Here is the root of all evil!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast