Thread: Really Slow Bit Torrent

ross_the_boss
    hey all! i just recently downloaded the bit torrent software for downloading games and stuff but it seems to go really slowly. i have broadband and usually get speeds of 50-60kb/s on kazaa but on the bit torrent thingy i get between 1-10kb/s, can anyone tell me why or help me speed up bit torrent downloads?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Aaron_T's Avatar A duck is watching.
    if you want better help on bittorent questions visit www.suprnova.org and read the FAQ but i think your download many not be seeded enough thats the problem with torrent which version of the torrent client have you download is it the torrent personal tracker like mine
    Those who dont learn from the past are doomed to repeat It.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    muchspl2
    do you have shadows client installed, its the fastest and color coded to let you know if your firewalled, feel free to review the FAQ before posting a common questions
    http://www.dessent.net/btfaq/

and remember we have a search feature at the top of the page

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster
    Try a few other downloads from a few different torrent sites. But Bit Torrent has know to be slow for a lot of people on broadband no matter how seeders their is it's just the way it is for some connections.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster
    Make sure to limit your upload bandwidth while running BitTorrent, or you'll overload your connection so badly that it'll never hit 10 KB/sec DOWNLOAD speed.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Yea I'm having a similar problem. Shadows Client does have a yellow light (which I can't get rid of) but the speeds are still very slow. I also seem to be uploading much more then I'm downloading (e.g. on one of my downloads its 85 megs down 500 up) which is o.k but the uploads seem to be at fairly constant speed and the downloads fluctuates between 1-5 and 0 constantly. An example of the overall speed is its taken 62 hours on a relativly fast connection to download 85 megs

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    muchspl2
    if your always yellow you need to open ports and/or firewall
    http://userpages.umbc.edu/~hamilton/btclientconfig.html

xp has a built in firewall also

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Use TorrentStorm 1.1, that way you will never again get pestered by a yapping tracker that says that you are downloading to fast!

Besides, it also makes pausing and restarting downloads easy!