Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gingadaddy sold!!

kobkob
    I don't get it. they sold the site ownership? that's it? what's the big deal?
    How it will get to us? the simple users? the site is still up and running to me, I dont really care who's the owner of it. maybe cause I didnt donate anything. and apperantly I got there some invites, aswell.

2. Newsgroups   -   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by kobkob View Post
    I don't get it. they sold the site ownership? that's it? what's the big deal?
    How it will get to us? the simple users? the site is still up and running to me, I dont really care who's the owner of it. maybe cause I didnt donate anything. and apperantly I got there some invites, aswell.
    Well the users base had trust with the sysadmin/staff/etc that ran the site.

With new owners, it becomes a issue of trust, that they will continue to do the same thing.

Much like with private torrent trackers, the user base may not be "sure" to trust them, when new owners take ownership of the site.

It is good to see that they did look for someone to take over, as I guess many of them are too busy in their lives.

I hope they continue work on their api features. Only time will tell.

3. Newsgroups   -   #23
    Their API features are like their servers. Very "iffy" sometimes. That site needs a lot of improvement to become one of the top Nzb sites.

4. Newsgroups   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by user3240 View Post
    Their API features are like their servers. Very "iffy" sometimes. That site needs a lot of improvement to become one of the top Nzb sites.
    True they have been buggy, but I hope that "maybe" over time they will get it working better.

I don't know anything about the new owner(s) and haven't heard much about their goal for the site. Other than they want to keep it going.

I do know the past owner(s)/staff member(s) well continue to work on the site. At what level I am not sure.

Also I wonder if lifetime membership will continue there (I have a lifetime member there) or if the new owner will reset that.

Much like what happened with NZBRUS.

5. Newsgroups   -   #25
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    I don't see how new ownership can hope to turn enough profit to even cover server cost if they don't retool the subscription structure.
    If everyone's already paid in, all they will ever pay in - assuming the site is at near saturation. I believe it's obvious that cash reserves are not following the transition.

Maybe that's why the site was sold, to wring the last drops of profit s out of it. Wouldn't be the first or last time.
    Once the cash flow drys up, it's all over.
    Last edited by Broken; 09-14-2013 at 04:14 PM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #26
    Just received this PM at Gingadaddy

'We are sending this email to give you a heads up about taking full advantage of all GingaDADDY has to offer before VIP membership prices and policies change. Due to a large investment made in new management, increased demand and costs there will be an increase in VIP pricing and a decrease in Free Membership privileges.

First, we want to give you the opportunity as a restricted Free Member to obtain a VIP membership with all it has to offer while the unlimited download for 10 years for $10 donation is available. On October 15th, 2013 a VIP unlimited download renewal period will be decreased from 10 year renewals to one year renewals and the donation amount will be increased to $15.

Another reason to take advantage of the unlimited download for 10 years for $10 donation prior to October 15th, 2013 is due that the number of downloads available to those with a free memberships will be lowered from 5 downloads per day to 2 NZB downloads per day. Free memberships will also be limited to downloading NZBs that are 25 days old or less.'

7. Newsgroups   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    I don't see how new ownership can hope to turn enough profit to even cover server cost if they don't retool the subscription structure.
    Ah well, that's that one answered.

8. Newsgroups   -   #28
    Same thing that will happen to Dognzb.

9. Newsgroups   -   #29
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    I think however bought the site got screwed. I've seen the number 22K floating around, and that's a heck of an amount to try and recover.
    Exspcially considering the gray area the site lives in. Getting too popular can be deadly. It's just not a good long term investment. I just hope the new ownership had a plan going into this. If not dissappointing numbers, or various legal issues may end a reasonably good site.

Doesn't mean the site might not last. I remember back in the day, the current owner of this site (Brian) was tricked into buying this site with inflated revenue numbers. But we're still here.

10. Newsgroups   -   #30
    I could not believe the 21K price either. In addition to NZB sites being "questionable," how do they get their investment back? Sure, maybe a lot of the free members get a VIP in the next 30 days. Maybe not. Why would anybody pay $15.00 a year for Gingadaddy? With all those "lifetime" memberships , there is no new revenue stream. I have a feeling some people are going to get screwed. Will it be the new owners or the subscribers?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast