View Poll Results: Which OS do you use / most prefer using?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Windows 8

6 20.00%
  • Windows 7

21 70.00%
  • Windows XP

0 0%
  • An Apple OS

1 3.33%
  • Other

2 6.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Windows OS do you use, or most prefer?

1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    I am curious as to how many of you guys have gotten used to Windows 8 since it's imo polarizing launch. Do you think it's worth installing on a reformat if I do not have a touchscreen monitor?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Wait for Windows 9.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I'll remain on 7 until Microsoft lets you turn grayscale rendering off. A search for "Windows 8 font smoothing" will show you what I'm talking about.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Didn't vote. I'm all over the place.

I've got Windows 8 on the main desktop. It was unbearable with that Start screen so I bought StartIsBack for $3.

Two HTPC's in the house still use Windows 7.

Laptop is a MBP so it has OSX obviously.

yo

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Stehle's Avatar Poster
    Yes, what many above said, as I'm just a 7 kinda guy.

(I repair a lot of pc's (desktop & laptop) equally....the real pain being is I never found an 8 system I could like.)

Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    ....It was unbearable with that Start screen so I bought StartIsBack for $3.
    Yes, I do that for 9 out of 10 that vent their frustration to me.
    Last edited by Stehle; 11-01-2013 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    All Apple gear here... but I run snow leopard as my main OS as I don't like Lion, Mountain Lion and now of course Maverick... which is their latest offering... not sure what I'll do when I get left behind... my oldest daughter gave up on mac and bought her own PC just a few months ago happily running windows 7 ultimate...( for gaming and video editing ) ("blah blah blah Dad, my gtx 660 graphics card and my i5 processor kicks ass... blah blah blah) My Apple days seem numbered.
    No life ever grows great until it is focused, dedicated and disciplined.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    I'll remain on 7 until Microsoft lets you turn grayscale rendering off. A search for "Windows 8 font smoothing" will show you what I'm talking about.
    That was another one of the reasons I left FF.

Quote Originally Posted by Vestibule View Post
    All Apple gear here... but I run snow leopard as my main OS as I don't like Lion, Mountain Lion and now of course Maverick... which is their latest offering... not sure what I'll do when I get left behind... my oldest daughter gave up on mac and bought her own PC just a few months ago happily running windows 7 ultimate...( for gaming and video editing ) ("blah blah blah Dad, my gtx 660 graphics card and my i5 processor kicks ass... blah blah blah) My Apple days seem numbered.
    They're numbered alright. My girlfriend was running Leopard on her iMac and iTunes no longer works with that version. I had to update allllll her shit. Took about 4 hours of downloading and installing updates. You're almost there.

What's not to like about Mavs? I've got it on the laptop and it's fine.
    Last edited by Skiz; 11-02-2013 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

yo

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Honestly have only read about Mavs... no first hand knowledge... pretty sure my music software won't run on it though... I'm comfy with Snow...
    Last edited by Vestibule; 11-02-2013 at 01:02 AM.
    No life ever grows great until it is focused, dedicated and disciplined.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    That was another one of the reasons I left FF.
    With Firefox you have Anti-Aliasing Tuner to use ClearType-style smoothing, or even none at all while enjoying hardware acceleration. On Windows 8 and/or IE 10 and above, text looks like a drenched newspaper (at least in my LCD screen) and it's essentially take it or leave it - disabling font smoothing under special effects doesn't affect everything.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    FF may have it now, but it didn't at the time. Somewhere on this board in the old $20 fred there's a bunch of us bitching about it.

Windows 8 looks the same as Windows 7 BTW. This is from two screenshots I just took. They're identical down to the very pixel.

yo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast