Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Optimizing My Internet Connection?

BANNED
    Originally posted by Mik3ll@22 November 2003 - 14:22
    There is a program called Webroot Accelerate 2K3, I just got the trial version today and im still testing it. I nomally get speeds of 130 kb/s like you, but this thing got it up to 300 kb/s for a few seconds.

**I recommend making a restore point before you install this, It canges some system settings, and if you dont like it, restore it.**
    i use the full version and recommend it

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by Mik3ll@23 November 2003 - 03:49
    I just downloaded a file from download.com.

And you dont install it, just run the exe, then pick which modem you have, then at the bottom select optimal settings, then apply setting.

before you do this, go to file, then select backup current settings.
    how can you tell how fast ur connection is going? i wanna know b4 i install it cause i wanna see the speed difference!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    Originally posted by nostalgia@22 November 2003 - 20:40
    TCP/IP Optimizer it sets the MTU values etc in WIndows correctly for using broadband internet connections. You don't even have to install it. Just download, click the exe, choose the modemtype you're using and finish.
    when i go to that site it says at the top of IE forbidden. what shoud i do?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    Originally posted by 3223+23 November 2003 - 04:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3223 @ 23 November 2003 - 04:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mik3ll@23 November 2003 - 03:49

And you dont install it, just run the exe, then pick which modem you have, then at the bottom select optimal settings, then apply setting.

how can you tell how fast ur connection is going? i wanna know b4 i install it cause i wanna see the speed difference&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Go to http://download.com and download a file. Then once you install it, backup the settings, then optimize it, then restart your system, then download the same file again.

Im not sure about this problem, the link is working fine for me, try this site http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php and download TCP Optimizer, its the same exact program.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    nostalgia's Avatar Frequent visitor
    Originally posted by Mik3ll@23 November 2003 - 01:43

Thanks nostalgia, I test this out, and my speed was at 400 kb/sec&#33;, but it went down to like 200 kb/sec. Its still better then my normal speed.&#39;
    That&#39;s cause of the optimalization of your Windows version for broadband. Your speed will eventually decrease cause of the max. speed your provider gives you.
    Obviously it will eventually settle at the approx. speed your provider may give you do to your contract with the provider. Example; I have a slow adsl connection called adsl-lite (max 46 KB/s). After using TCP/IP optimizer my starting downloadspeed begins at approx. 300 KB/s and slowly declines to the max. speed (46 KB/s) which my provider gives me cause they control it and not me (if I want more speed I&#39;ll have to upgrade my services and costs with the provider).
    Hope you know what I try to state here. It is easier for me to explain it in Dutch
    -- They tell me tomorrow will never arrive, but I've seen it end a million times. --

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by Mik3ll+23 November 2003 - 05:31--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mik3ll @ 23 November 2003 - 05:31)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by 3223@23 November 2003 - 04:45
    <!--QuoteBegin-Mik3ll
    @23 November 2003 - 03:49

how can you tell how fast ur connection is going? i wanna know b4 i install it cause i wanna see the speed difference&#33;
    Go to http://download.com and download a file. Then once you install it, backup the settings, then optimize it, then restart your system, then download the same file again.

Im not sure about this problem, the link is working fine for me, try this site http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php and download TCP Optimizer, its the same exact program. [/b][/quote]
    i remember in the corner of my taskbar there used to be a computer screen and when you put your mouse over it it would say the connection speed. how do i get it back?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    Originally posted by 3223+23 November 2003 - 13:31--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3223 @ 23 November 2003 - 13:31)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Mik3ll@23 November 2003 - 05:31
    Originally posted by 3223@23 November 2003 - 04:45
    <!--QuoteBegin-Mik3ll
    @23 November 2003 - 03:49

how can you tell how fast ur connection is going? i wanna know b4 i install it cause i wanna see the speed difference&#33;

Im not sure about this problem, the link is working fine for me, try this site http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php and download TCP Optimizer, its the same exact program.
    i remember in the corner of my taskbar there used to be a computer screen and when you put your mouse over it it would say the connection speed. how do i get it back? [/b][/quote]
    Go to start, my computer, then on the side, right click on my network places, then select properties, then double click on your connection, then select properties, then at the bottom, check show icon in notification area when connected.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    @Esquirrel.

Do you have cable internet? If so, you should expect your dl speeds to slow down at peak times, such as during the evening, due to other users in your area also using the internet. I believe the correct term is contention.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Oops - board&#39;s acting up. (due to essential maintenance, i know )

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    There is a site called PCpitstop , they test your internet connection for speed and will give you advice on speeding it up.
    I downloaded a registry tweak from them and it speeded mine up , apparently XP is set up for dial up and needs to be adjusted for broadband otherwise it only operates at dialup speed even on broad band .
    Please correct me on this if I am wrong this is only what I was told I dont know anything about it .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast