Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill Gates, Superphilanthropist

i think you've missed my point, Billy

i'm disgusted because he's 'only' giving away half of it

he should be giving away more, rather than sitting on £20000000000 and letting it collect interest, when it could be put to better uses
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Poster
    Are these actually liquid assets 3rd.

I think a lot of his wealth is actually shares in Microsoft and other things.

If he were to realise his assets, which is probably impossible anyway, that may result in a lot of businesses folding and a lot of people losing their livelihood.

I don&#39;t think he could give it all away, even if he wanted to. It&#39;s not like you pledging your tenner to Children in Need.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Poster
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@22 November 2003 - 13:18
    Hi Tim. Fishing was heavenly, backed into the jetty when we got back tho, did &#036;800 damage to one of the motors&#33;

We camped on an island, snorkled and fished, BBQ&#39;s on the beach, didn&#39;t even have a watch. Off again in the morning for a couple of days, going up to Lizard Island for a marlin fishing comp, and big party after.

Who said life wasn&#39;t meant to be easy? Must have been a sad bastard.

We camped on an island, snorkled and fished, BBQ&#39;s on the beach, didn&#39;t even have a watch.&nbsp; Off again in the morning for a couple of days, going up to Lizard Island for a marlin fishing comp, and big party after.
    That&#39;s sounds like........... FUCKING FUN I&#39;ll be there in 24 hour&#39;s should be in time for the party mate.. Atleast you did&#39;nt wright the jetty off, gotta look a the positive side of it.
    Anyway have a good trip Rikk, and make sure to, rub it in when ya get back...

Cheer&#39;s
    Tim B)

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    BANNED
    There&#39;s a lot more to being a philanthropist than just giving money away. A good philanthropist, and I believe Gates is one, gives to deserving causes that governments should be funding but don&#39;t, often because there&#39;s no votes in it for them.

What he&#39;s doing is a lifetime job, and he needs to keep on making money to ensure funding for more and more things. Money makes money, if he gave it all away just like that, the whole thing would grind to a halt. As someone said earlier, in his will he has left almost his entire fortune to his charitable trust. They will then carry on his legacy, hopefully, for many years after his death.

As JP said, most of his money is tied up, earning money, not, "sitting on £20000000000 and letting it collect interest ...

Edit: Cheers Tim, I&#39;ll do that&#33;

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Poster
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@22 November 2003 - 19:38
    There&#39;s a lot more to being a philanthropist than just giving money away.&nbsp; A good philanthropist, and I believe Gates is one, gives to deserving causes that governments should be funding but don&#39;t, often because there&#39;s no votes in it for them.

What he&#39;s doing is a lifetime job, and he needs to keep on making money to ensure funding for more and more things.&nbsp; Money makes money, if he gave it all away just like that, the whole thing would grind to a halt.&nbsp; As someone said earlier, in his will he has left almost his entire fortune to his charitable trust.&nbsp; They will then carry on his legacy, hopefully, for many years after his death.

As JP said, most of his money is tied up, earning money, not,&nbsp; "sitting on £20000000000 and letting it collect interest ...

Again I agree.

For him to give it all away (which like I said earlier would probably be impossible anyway) would be irresponsible. Not least for the people he employs.

He would no longer be generating further income which he could use for good causes. There is far from any guarantee that those who bought the companies from him would continue.

So it would be a short term gain, long term loss for the projects he supports.

It&#39;s like the "give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach him to fish and you feed him for life" thing

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Poster
    It&#39;s like the "give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach him to fish and you feed him for life" thing
    J&#39;Pol I like that reference it seem&#39;s fitting....or fishing
    B.D. gonna catch the biggest marlin on record, and give it to me....

Cheer&#39;s,
    Tim

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    So Bill Gates is giving away half of his fortune...where&#39;s the problem in that?

Even half of Bill&#39;s assets is an obscene amount of money to donate from anyone bar governments. The only problem is where it goes - If it goes to some needing cause like funding an AIDS vaccine, then he&#39;s doing a great thing. But if he&#39;s "donating" to the Bush re-election trial though, he&#39;s gonna be doing more harm than good with it.

Personally, I say "F***ing A" to him right now - Donating billions is no mean feat

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+22 November 2003 - 14:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol &#064; 22 November 2003 - 14:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Billy_Dean@22 November 2003 - 18:47
    The man&#39;s a legend, why can&#39;t people leave him alone?

How would you be if you had his money?&nbsp; What&#39;s the betting you&#39;d be running around in a Ferrari, Armani suits, gold dripping off you, and giving your cash away the last thing on your mind.

He employs 200 people just to give his money away.&nbsp; They get millions of requests a year.&nbsp; What the fuck does this guy have to do?&nbsp; Who&#39;s paying for millions of African kids to be immunised?&nbsp; Has your fucking country done it? No&#33;

People should grow up, if it wasn&#39;t for this man, half of you probably wouldn&#39;t have a computer now, you wouldn&#39;t be able to afford one.

I agree.[/b][/quote]
    Break out the bottle.

My God (please excuse my gratuitous reference), I never thought I&#39;d see the day when I would agree with Billy_Dean-

To enjoy J&#39;Pol&#39;s blessing as well just makes it all the sweeter.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    wha-wha?

the agreement of you three astounds me

I&#39;m going to have to agree as well....

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Poster
    Originally posted by j2k4+22 November 2003 - 21:42--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 22 November 2003 - 21:42)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@22 November 2003 - 14:06
    <!--QuoteBegin-Billy_Dean
    @22 November 2003 - 18:47
    The man&#39;s a legend, why can&#39;t people leave him alone?

How would you be if you had his money? What&#39;s the betting you&#39;d be running around in a Ferrari, Armani suits, gold dripping off you, and giving your cash away the last thing on your mind.

He employs 200 people just to give his money away. They get millions of requests a year. What the fuck does this guy have to do? Who&#39;s paying for millions of African kids to be immunised? Has your fucking country done it? No&#33;

People should grow up, if it wasn&#39;t for this man, half of you probably wouldn&#39;t have a computer now, you wouldn&#39;t be able to afford one.

I agree.
    Break out the bottle.

My God (please excuse my gratuitous reference), I never thought I&#39;d see the day when I would agree with Billy_Dean-

To enjoy J&#39;Pol&#39;s blessing as well just makes it all the sweeter. [/b][/quote]
    When I posted my agreement, the board crashed, seriously.

I don&#39;t know if it was just me but the board slowed and then crashed altogether.

It was a few minutes before I could log in again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast