Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New build and the inevitable problems

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I decided to get a new case for the PC. Although I still think it's an eye pleasing case, my original Cooler Master 690 was starting to show its age. I decided on the Fractal R4 and started looking around the web at how people were doing their cable management for that particular case. I really started to enjoy some of the builds I saw, and as it tends to happen, that snowballed into building an entirely new PC. I've been accruing parts for about 3 weeks now as I find deals and such following the Black Friday/Cyber Monday overhyped nonsense. By a couple of days ago everything was here.

-Fractal R4 (Titanium w/ window)
    -Asus Sabertooth Z87
    -Intel i7-4770K
    -Corsair H100i cooler
    -32GB DDR3 2400 1866 GSkill Sniper Gaming Series
    -EVGA GTX760 Superclocked
    -Samsung SSD EVO 500GB
    -Corsair AX760 fully modular PSU
    -Windows 8.1 Pro-64

During the build, I like to piece together all the items that will go with the motherboard to make sure things generally fit ok. After doing that I started putting them all in the case and screwing things down. Onboard USB. Check. 24pin ATX. Check. Etc... During my quick survey, I just couldn't find the 4pin 12V ATX port for the CPU power. No worries, I'll find it once I get the PSU installed and start running cables. I forgot all about it after that. Big mistake. Once I got to that point, I already had the H100i cooler installed which was a pain to do by the way. It's really a two person job. I had to get blocks to hold the cooler up and clips for the hoses while I held the radiator in one hand and put in screws with the other. Not fun. Anyhow, it is only after I have this installed that I realize why I didn't see the 4pin ATX plug on my initial survey... it's an 8-pin plug on this board and I just didn't notice... and it's now barely visible through a small space behind the coolers radiator. There's simply no way to get that plugged in without taking the entire radiator back off. OK, let's get this over with. Hopefully this is the mistake/glitch for this build and the rest is smooth sailing. I get C clamps out to hold the radiator this time and all goes better than expected. Done.

Onward, I initially purchased the same memory as listed above but at a frequency of 2400 even though the Sabertooth Z87 is only officially able to run 1333/1600/1866. My thought process was this - the memory and the Z87 both have XMP capability so it shouldn't really matter. The board will adjust appropriately. I was still hesitant until I read a review right on the memory page that stated a guy had the same board and it worked. That reassurance combined with the RAM being on sale at about $50 cheaper than its 1866 counterpart, I felt pretty good about it. A week goes by and the RAM sticks arrive along with some other final parts.

I get the entire build assembled, cross my fingers, and hit the power button. Lights come on, fans are spinning... nothing on the screens. Shit. After some various tinkering, I remove all the RAM except 1 stick and reboot. BIOS. Success. I install Windows 8 via USB. Power down. Insert second RAM stick. Boot. Success. Both detected. Fist pump. Repeat with third stick. Success. Repeat with fourth stick. Fail. "MemOK!" light comes on denoting a problem. I follow the MemOK! process of letting it fix the problem but it is unable. After that, I cannot get any stick(s) of RAM to function in any combination. I reset CMOS and restart the process. Same thing. I am also getting beep code for RAM failure. (This is described in a few brief sentences here, but it is a day of experimenting in real time) All I can think of is that RAM doesn't play nice with that board. It may very well be possible to get it working but I couldn't figure it out in a full day of research. Out of ideas, I RMA the memory and order the 1866 frequency sticks that are now on sale for $40 less than the first 2400 set. They should work just fine when they arrive on Monday and with any luck I'll have a functioning build. (also not worried about having 1866 as with 32GB I'll have plenty to go 'round)

Cable management. I've been really irritated with my last couple of builds, this one included. Why the hell doesn't a modular power supply by Corsair (and others) come with a simpler set of cables?? Especially when you go the extra step and purchase the sleeved cables. Example: I have an SSD mounted on the back of the motherboard panel. How does it make sense that the only way to connect it with the provided cables it to run one of those multi sata connection cables with 4 heads? And for the power button up front, it needs a single Molex connection. One. The only Molex cables provided by Corsair? A bulky cable with again, a 4-head Molex connection. Four! Between those two cables, cable management has been a nightmare. I really don't want to take the back cover off of that case again as I'm not sure I'll get it back on, but I need to fix some cables so I'll have to. Something must be done. I'm giving serious consideration to buying custom cables from ModDIY. If I go to trouble of doing that though, I'll probably go all the way and sleeve the front i/o cables as well. No idea how to tackle that...

I shall return with updates as time allows. Pics to follow at some point.
    Last edited by Skiz; 12-19-2013 at 06:14 AM.

yo

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    New memory was delivered this morning. I was optimistic that I could drop it in and power the new build up but I wasn't that lucky. I popped the new RAM in, pressed power, and booted to BIOS. I was happy to see the new RAM all visible in BIOS. I restarted, but this time the build went straight to BIOS without me hammering the F2 button. Hmm, not a good sign. Why didn't the SSD with a fresh Windows install boot? Since I was already in BIOS, I did some digging. I don't mind saying I'm a little more familiar with this new BIOS than I should be this early on. Anyhow, everything in my boot order was set up properly. I try rebooting again for the heck of it. Same thing. Straight to BIOS. I repeat this numerous times while tinkering with various fast boot and hardware boot configuration options to see if anything would make a difference. Nothing does. I am stumped. I am not happy.

I'm not pointing any fingers at the RAM this time around. My beep code tells me everything on the hardware side is OK and the MemOK! light is not on. I have no reason to suspect the RAM. I shut it all down and open the rig up to start looking for a possible disconnected SATA cable. Anything that might give an explanation. I find everything in it's proper place. Maybe one of the cables has gone bad? I swap out both SATA cables and try again. No change. I'm starting to suspect that maybe my SSD has died, but since BIOS has seen it all along, I'm not ready to go down that road yet. I consider attempting to install Windows from a USB again just to see if it's working, but I just did that when I assembled everything. It has a fresh install. The only other things I've loaded were drivers and such from the motherboard disk, Chrome, and BF3 (which takes 8 damn hours to download plus another 5 for updates). I don't want to do all that again. I grab a spare SSD, plug it in and install Windows. Reboot. Everything works fine. OK, now I know that either the SSD is bad or somehow the MBR got screwed up. I put the new SSD back in and try reinstalling Windows. It's reading it....good so far. I complete the install and everything boots up perfectly.

How in the heck would my MBR have gotten borked?

Here's a quick photo of the basic build. Have done very little cable mgmt yet.

Spoiler: Show

Other things I plan/might plan to do:

• Sleeving the default wiring as well as the 24pin ATX cable to match the others. I may decide to do those in a dark gray instead of black. I initially wanted everything black but it just doesn't give much depth.
    • I'd also like to put the two HDD's up into the 5.25 bays and remove the bottom cage altogether.
    • Might remove stickers from the power supply.
    • If I decide to go with some gray cables, I might paint the expansion slot covers to match.
    Last edited by Skiz; 12-18-2013 at 07:31 PM.

yo

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    pootystomp's Avatar Poster
    Looks awesome, you just need another gtx760 and a better operating system.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    The EVGA GTX760 SC I have now runs every new game I have on the absolute highest settings, so having a second one would do me absolutely nothing more. For example, BF4 runs at 1080/60fps/Ultra settings and does so flawlessly.

Changed the OS in the original post to Windows 8.1 Pro 64. I had a bootleg Pre-activated version of 8 but I just bought a legit key for 8.1 Pro on Reddit for $25.

I don't mind 8.1 too much. There's definitely some stupidity that I stumble upon now and again but for the most part I've adapted.

yo

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Updated pics:

Speccy doesn't reflect overclocks but it's running smoothly at 4.5GHz. Idle stays within 19-25C. The warmest I've been able to get it in the past couple of hours is 61C. I'd say the H100i is holding up very well considering the 4770K is known to run a bit hot.

Last edited by Skiz; 12-20-2013 at 10:16 AM.

yo

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Btw if you haven't already you should check this out, especially since you have plenty of RAM to go around: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7173/s...odels-tested/5

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I'm thinking about building a new PC too as I'm starting to get some of those annoying "Won't run on your computer" notices.

As I basically only use the computer's power for games from what I've read probably going with the i5 7670k and less RAM and using the savings for a better video card is probably the way to go.

Also undecided on whether to reuse my CM HAF X.
    Thinking about the Cosmos 2 or being really ghey and the CM Level 10. Not reusing it is an incredible waste but it's got a burnt out USB port on the front that bothers the fuck out of me.

Or maybe just fuck it entirely as I don't even really like gaming anymore and spend the money on poetry books and protein isolate.

Any advice that is not coming from megabyteme would be appreciated.

PS Money is basically not a factor but wasting it still is.
    Respect my lack of authority.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    pootystomp's Avatar Poster
    http://www.cmstore-usa.com/haf-912-i...l-oem-package/

The Asus r9 290x looks nice. Just hard to get with the fucking lightcoin miners hoarding them.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    What is your current PC setup Idol?

I ask this in terms of what can be re used in another build, and where we can go in terms of recommendations, i.e. do you have an SSD, what RAM speed, size, etc. Preferences for Graphics card i.e. NVidia or AMD.

As for the CM HAF case I have the same one and although I haven't killed a USB port on it, the thing is a dust magnet which is really getting on my pec's, that and a graphics card upgrade are in the forseeable future for me.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Thanks man and after exchange rate ,custom duties,taxes and delivery charges the $6.99 part only cost me 24 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    What is your current PC setup Idol?
    It's all in my profile except the PS is now a Thermaltake 775W - see shorted out USB port.

So basically as I see it,not knowing anything, I will need minimally a new CPU,motherboard,memory and GPU .
    I have a fancy Seasonic Platinum PS and a bunch of decent HDDs that are currently just gathering dust and the case which as you astutely stated is also gathering dust.

Probably in a new build would like at least one SSD ,(like skiz ) a Corsair H100i cooler and a blu-ray burner.
    As for whether AMD or nVidia "they" say there are pluses and minuses to each and some games run better on one and some on the other.

Yeah nerds are aggravating like that.Which is why I try to beat them up up whenever possible.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 01-10-2014 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Respect my lack of authority.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast